An infusion of Eastern medicine has hit New Haven’s Audubon District.

The Amadeus Health and Healing Center, a provider of alternative medicine, opened at 20 Lincoln Way on Oct. 22 after moving from 245 Bradley St. as a result of construction disruptions from the new Yale School of Management. Yale provided the center its new location for the next two years, until SOM construction ends. Among its many services, Sal Amadeo, co-owner of the center along with his wife Remy, said the center offers acupuncture, massage therapy, and hypnotherapy as well as nutritional counseling and internal cleansing and electrolysis.

The center’s staff includes two acupuncturists, three massage therapists, two hypnotherapists and one licensed life coach. Its client base contains “thousands of clients” including Yale students and faculty, Amadeo said, adding that the Center has 50 regular monthly visitors. Each week, the center sees roughly 100 clients, including Yale students and faculty, he said. If such staffs aren’t accessible to you, you can resort to other options like the best hypnotherapist in singapore.

“The paradigm of Western medicine was born in the Industrial Age. It looks at the body as a machine, and focuses on taking things out and putting things in,” said Amadeo. “But you are not a machine. You are a garden.”

The center aims to “mediate harmony in [his clients], in [their] gardens,” said Amadeo, who is a licensed massage therapist, acupuncturist, and hypnotherapist.

Mike Morand ’87 DIV ’93, University associate vice president for New Haven and state affairs, said the move to the Audubon district is beneficial for the community and University Properties.

“The Amadeo family are tremendous New Haven entrepreneurs whose business now gains more visibility, and University Properties gains a first-rate tenant whose use is the right kind of destination business for the Lincoln Way location,” Morand said.

Abigail Rider, University associate vice president and director of University Properties, did not respond for a request for comment.

Jean Welty LAW ’74, who has been a client of the Amadeus Center for about 10 years, said the center’s services have been extremely helpful. Welty said Amadeo immediately sensed that she suffered from asthma simply by feeling her wrists. She added that Amadeo’s methods take on a “multi-faceted approach to add balance to [his patients’] bodies.”

Founded in 1989, the center aims to provide alternative medical treatments rooted in Eastern agricultural tradition to the New Haven population, Amadeo said.

Eastern medicine is gaining popularity in North America, particularly on the West Coast, said Amadeo, where numerous insurance companies have started to provide coverage for alternative treatments. He added that, in Connecticut, the only such insurance company to provide coverage of alternative medicine is Health Net, a national health insurance company, and its affiliates. The Yale Health Plan does not cover alternative therapies like acupuncture.

“[The center’s services] can be used as alternatives or complementary to Western medicine,” he added.

One of his clients, he said, is a woman in the early phases of chemotherapy. After a single session of acupuncture, he said, she felt significantly better.

Alternative medicine could be used to help students perform better on exams, lose weight, or increase concentration, Amadeo said.

Two of three students interviewed said they thought most alternative medical treatments work solely by placebo, or when a simulated medical intervention causes a change in the patient. While all three students agreed that the Amadeus Center will likely not attract many Yale students, Dana Miller ’12 said that she “knows quite a few students who could use a massage like that Luxury Harem Massage in Toronto.”

The Amadeus Center is open seven days a week, and its services are available by appointment.

DANIEL SISGOREO