Diner in Chief? Former President Bill Clinton LAW ’73 has become “an arbiter of international dining,” according to an article in Wednesday’s New York Times. The article goes on to state that Clinton “is doing for restaurants around the world what George Washington once did in America for places to sleep.”

There’s a reason they’re called silly-manders. A student dressed as a banana in pajamas and another as a whoopie cushion were spotted walking around Silliman’s dining hall Tuesday.

Double, double toil and trouble. A Facebook page was started Monday called “Yale Witches Against Christine O’Donnell.” The group’s description says the Delaware senatorial candidate “has claimed that she is not a witch, and that she did not go to Yale. But she has the temerity to claim: ‘I am you.’ We Yale witches refuse to submit to this slander!”

Richard Gilmore was here. Edward Herrmann, who played the grandfather of Gilmore Girls’ Rory Gilmore ’07, a fictional Yale alum, was spotted in Book Trader Cafe Tuesday. He is on campus starring in “A Delicate Balance” at the Yale Repertory Theatre.

Hands off the fire alarm! The reception for “HANDS ON — HANDS OFF,” a faculty art show at the Chapel Street Gallery was interrupted by a fire alarm Tuesday. Attendees waited outside for 20 minutes before the New Haven Fire Department arrived.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1938 University President Charles Seymour announces that construction on Silliman College will start the following spring.

Correction: October 27, 2010

An earlier version of this post said that Rory Gilmore was from “Gossip Girl” and not “Gilmore Girls.”

YALE DAILY NEWS