Ingalls Rink will experience a “white-out” Nov. 12. The Yale women’s hockey team is dedicating their home conference opener to teammate Mandi Schwartz ’11, who has battled cancer since December 2008. All attendees should wear white to the event “White Out for Mandi,” where donations will be collected instead of admission.

Connecticut has received $121 million in federal funding for a high-speed rail line from New Haven to Springfield, Mass., U.S. Sen. Christopher Dodd and other top state politicians announced at a Monday press conference at the Meriden train station. In addition to the $121 million, the project has received $260 million from the state bond committee and $40 million in federal stimulus money for a combined total of $421 million.

Economic Professor Steven Berry wished “Eric” a happy birthday in his Introductory Microeconomics lecture. Berry’s uncharacteristic birthday shout-out was projected on screen for all the class to see.

Bring me a shrubbery! Davenport College is getting new shrubs in its courtyard near the York Street gate, wrote Barbara Munck ’84, a senior administrative assistant in Davenport, in a college-wide e-mail. A trench is currently being dug to “aid in proper drainage to support the new plants,” Munck wrote. There is yellow tape surrounding the area.

Type “O” blood could mean less fertility, according to a study conducted by researchers from Yale and Albert Einstein College of Medicine, the British daily the Guardian reported.

Women’s Center volunteers are handing out small purple ribbon pins this week for Intimate Partner Violence Awareness Week.

Did Hitchcock have something to do with this? Four sparrow-like birds were spotted at approximately 4 p.m. in Commons. The birds hopped between tables and flew around.

There must be something in the water. The Hartford-New Haven area was named the second smartest city in a study done by The Daily Beast published Sunday. Boston came in first on the list. The Daily Beast ranked 55 metropolitan areas.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1961 St. Anthony Hall initiates 25 sophomores and juniors, one of whom is African-American. Five students from the University of Virginia chapter of the fraternity Delta Psi, with which the Hall is affiliated, come to Yale to protest the initiation of the African-American sophomore.

YALE DAILY NEWS