Yale flies Gordon to China

Yale College Council President Jeff Gordon ’12 will fly to China early Wednesday morning to represent Yale before an international assembly of students and leaders.

Gordon and two other Yale students, David Chan ’12 and Adam Thomas ’12, will attend Expo 2010 Shanghai China, where they will participate in a summit along with 500 student leaders from across the globe to discuss the role of youth in promoting better cities (the theme of this year’s Expo is “Better City, Better Life”). Yale will pay for Gordon’s flights, and once the students arrive, China will pay for the expenses of all three students..

Gordon will also be one of 100 student leaders to attend the Summit Forum of Expo Shanghai, a one-day conference of world leaders including United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and former Chief Economist of the World Bank Nicholas Stern and will speak on a panel about “town-gown” relations, focusing on the example of Yale-New Haven relations.

Yale College Council Jeff Gordon '12 will head to China this upcoming Wednesday.

“We know that many of the Chinese students and organizers expect a lot from the Ivy League, especially Harvard and Yale,” Gordon said. He added that he is excited to act as a representative of Yale at the conference, and to help the University expand its international presence.

The Ivy Council, a body of student leaders from across the Ivy League, was offered eight spots at the conference for representatives of each of the eight member schools. Since representatives from Cornell, Dartmouth and the University of Pennsylvania could not make it to the conference, Chan, vice president of external affairs for Ivy Council, and Thomas, president of the Leadership Institute at Yale, will fill the additional spots.

Gordon printed 500 business cards in preparation for the trip after the organizers of the Expo told Chan the Yale students should bring materials to represent themselves. Still, Gordon said he does not see the trip as a networking tool, since he said he will be meeting students from many countries he will never visit.

He added that he wants to learn more about how student leadership works in various countries, including at schools where student leaders rally against the administration. The YCC, in contrast, usually works alongside the administration, he said.

Chan, who helped plan the Ivy Council’s involvement in the conference, said he thinks the youth summit will help create global networks of student leaders.

“It’s a once in a lifetime opportunity to talk about the issues that are confronting our generation all over the world,” Chan said.

The Ivy Council already has relationships with student leaders in China, he said, and is now focusing on establishing relationships with students at Oxford and Cambridge and in the Middle East.

Thomas, president of the Leadership Institute at Yale and the former treasurer of the YCC, said he is excited for his first visit to China and for the opportunity to meet people with a wide range of perspectives on global issues. He said he hopes to gain insights from the conference to bring back to the Leadership Institute about how leaders can most effectively bring about change.

The youth summit is sponsored by the Executive Committee of Expo 2010 Shanghai China, the Central Committee of Chinese Communist Youth League and the China Youth Federation.

• reallynotafan

The notion that Jeff Gordon is serving as the representative of Yale at this event is sickening. He is easily the worst YCC president in recent memory — even worse than John Woo, whose idea of leadership was inviting people to his improv performances. Gordon has done nothing worth admiring, and his handling of the DKE incident was truly uninspiring. Gordon should be impeached, not flown halfway around the country.
    Bring back Rich Tao.

• FreddyHoneychurch

While I don’t blame Jeff for wanting to get out of town after what Kurt Busch did to him at Martinsville, if he misses Talladega next weekend, then there’s just no way he can catch Jimmie Johnson in the Sprint Cup points standings.

And, it’s true: Rich Tao would have never gotten spun out that way.

• Summer

> Gordon printed 500 business cards in preparation for the trip after the organizers of the Expo told Chan the Yale students should bring materials to represent themselves. Still, Gordon said he does not see the trip as a networking tool, since he said he will be meeting students from many countries he will never visit.

This might be the most toolsome paragraph ever recorded in the YDN.

Also, Rich Tao > Jon Wu + Jeff Gordon + Dale Ernhardt Jr.

• Lumaozi

I’m glad to hear Jeff is representing Yale at the Expo. He is a great guy who knows his stuff and has dedicated himself fully to the YCC.

• chill_out

I hope you’re all kidding – Jeff has been a great YCC president so far. I’m really glad he (along with David and Adam) is going to represent Yale at the Expo – we’ll all look better because of it.

• yalie13

I don’t see how it would make a difference who our YCC president representative is unless it’s somebody just insanely inspirational and has had some crazy prior worldly experience with Nelson Mandela or something to show for it.

I would think that if you were in Jeff’s place, your credentials is that you’re the YCC president, not that the YCC president is you (if that makes any sense). In other words, in this scenario, your name tag is what defines you.

• FreddyHoneychurch

It would make a difference if Jimmie Johnson were going. He’s working on a fifth consecutive championship. That’s credentials!

• harbinger

He want’s to learn how student leadership works in other countries? In China it’s simple, they do what the government tells them. Maybe he can pick up some videos on how the Chinese Peoples Police handle student raids, then bring those back for show and tell at the next YCC meeting. Hopefully he can make a real splash and show up with his little red book! That’ll get Yale some Brownie ponits on Far East Campus!

• Summer

> I hope you’re all kidding

I’m not. Jeff Gordon is at best an ineffective and mediocre YCC president.

Rich Tao 4 lyfe

• Vespers

The Central Committee of Chinese Communist Youth League is involved too? Hoo boy, this should be grand!