Students seek dialogue about raid

Students are looking to open an informed dialogue about Saturday’s early morning raid of the Morse-Stiles screw at Elevate Lounge, they said at a news conference held by Phelps Gate on Tuesday afternoon.

“We share the same goals as the New Haven Police Department,” Ward 1 Alderman Mike Jones ’11 said. “We all want to live as a safe community.”

Five student eyewitnesses offered accounts of the raid at the conference, which was organized by the Student Response Committee, a group that includes the Morse and Ezra Stiles College Councils and Student Activity Committees, the Yale College Council, and other leaders on campus.

“I think we can only benefit from an extended conversation between police and students,” Yale College Council President Jeff Gordon ’12 said. “It’s clearly unfortunate for that to arise from a traumatic experience such as this one.”

Jaya Wen ’12, an Ezra Stiles student activities coordinator said students were “confused, hurt and scared” by police action, adding that police made no announcement about the purpose or duration of the raid.

Wen said she has been part of an alcohol inspection before, in which lights came on, music shut off, and the operation was completed in 20 to 25 minutes.

Gordon said the Student Response Committee is working alongside the University, but making more direct contact with students than the administration. The committee is encouraging as many students as possible to file official complaints and members of the New Haven community with comparable experiences should share those as well, Jones said.

“If there are other people in the community who have similar stories, they should come forward as these students have bravely come forward,” Jones said.

State Representative Gary Holder-Winfield and City Chief Administrative Officer Rob Smuts ’01 were among those in attendance.

• benstango

STUDENT RESPONSE COMMITTEE
    Responding to the Recent NHPD Raid on the Yale Student Party at Elevate Lounge

MEDIA ADVISORY

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:

Michael Jones, (203) 936-9434
    Ward 1 Alderman, City of New Haven

Students To Hand Deliver Complaint Forms To Officials En Masse

[NEW HAVEN, CT] — A group of students who witnessed questionable behavior during the
    recent Elevate raid will gather to march together and hand deliver their Civilian Complaint
    Forms to officials. This will be a strong display of solidarity among the community, and should
    serve as example that everyone should feel free to share their accounts of the raid.

WHO: A group of students

WHAT: Eye witnesses of questionable behavior deliver complaints to officials

WHERE: Meet at Phelps Gate at Yale University (344 College Street)

WHEN: Thursday, October 7 at 3:45 p.m.

The New Haven Police Department’s Raid on Elevate Lounge occurred at approximately
    12:50 a.m. on the morning of October 2nd. Officers in the NHPD and CT Liquor Commission
    agents raided a party co-hosted by Morse and Ezra Stiles Colleges (two of Yale’s twelve
    residential colleges) that was hosted at Club Elevate on Crown Street. The raid occurred as part
    of “Operation Nightlife” which is a recent initiative of the NHPD to increase police presence in
    the city’s Entertainment District – in which Elevate Lounge is located. During the raid, 5
    students were arrested.

###

The Student Response Committee is a coalition of the Yale College Council, the Morse and Ezra
    Stiles College Councils and Student Activity Committees, and other interested campus leaders.
    The group remains committed to working with the City of New Haven and the New Haven
    Police Department to work towards an amicable resolution.