Police conduct questioned after raid on Morse-Stiles screw

Ten minutes before the Morse-Ezra Stiles college screw was set to end early Saturday morning, more than a dozen New Haven police officers and liquor agents raided the downtown nightclub where the event took place.

Five students were arrested, Dean of Student Affairs Marichal Gentry said in an e-mail to the Yale College community Saturday morning. According to interviews with about a dozen eye witnesses, one student was Tasered. Gentry said one student was taken to Yale-New Haven Hospital but has since been released.

Armed with what witnesses said were assault rifles and wearing what appeared to be SWAT gear, the officers stormed into the Crown Street club Elevate at 12:50 a.m., yelling at students to hit the ground, shut up and get out their IDs. By the end of the night, dozens of Morse and Stiles students turned to their residential college deans and masters for answers, asking whether police brutality had occurred.

“This is a serious situation and we do not yet know all the facts,” Gentry said. “I have asked Assistant Chief Ronnell Higgins of the Yale Police to assist us in gathering information.”

Interviewed at the scene early Saturday morning, New Haven Assistant Chief of Operations Ariel Melendez said the police conducting the raid in no way acted inappropriately and that the operation had been announced ahead of time as part of “Operation Nightlife” — the New Haven Police Department’s recent initiative to curb violence in the downtown entertainment district. Melendez said an “enhanced” police detail of about a dozen officers conducted the raid, and the NHPD arrested about a dozen people across the city Friday night and early Saturday morning as part of the operation.

“We announced we were coming out last weekend, and this weekend,” he said.

The raid comes nearly two weeks after gun violence erupted on Crown Street, leaving two men injured and New Haven Mayor John DeStefano Jr. pledging to crack down on downtown clubs and nightlife venues.

Melendez said the NHPD decided to raid Elevate on Friday evening at about the same time the Crown Street command post received an anonymous tip that a Yale College party was going to be held at the establishment and that were would likely be underage drinking.

Although the tip came in sometime between 9:30 and 10 p.m., the New Haven Police did not raid the club until nearly three hours later, Melendez said, because it first wanted to investigate two other establishments outside the center city.

“We just decided to go there and come back to [Elevate],” he said.

When the NHPD arrived at the club, Melendez said officers could see that students were getting in without showing proper identification. Gentry said that of the five students that were arrested, one was for illegal possession of alcohol by a minor; two for interfering with police officers; one for assault on police officers and related charges; and one for disorderly conduct.

As police swarmed around the dance floor early Saturday, students stumbled to get down, the lights flickered on and the music dimmed.

Students who tried to text or photograph the scene were told they would be handcuffed and arrested if they did not desist, witnesses said.

By 2 a.m., as the officers were handcuffing uncooperative students and putting others in what witnesses said police called “time out.”

Within the hour, eyewitnesses said, a sophomore was Tasered, jumped on and beaten in the middle of the dance floor by at least four New Haven police officers — as more than a hundred students looked on — because the student was “uncooperative during the raid.”

The raid took approximately an hour to complete, he said, adding that the Liquor Control Commission will handle any liquor-related offenses. It was not until nearly 3 a.m. when police cars, lights flashing, departed Crown Street and the area outside Elevate darkened.

In the hours following the raid, students made their way back to campus in fits and starts. Some were detained because they could not locate their IDs; others, because they had left their personal belongings inside the club and were not allowed to retrieve them until the raid had ended.

About two hours after the raid, Morse College Dean Joel Silverman sent an e-mail to address the onslaught of concern he had been receiving from students.

“We have received many upsetting reports about a police raid which took place downtown, early this morning, at the nightclub in which the Morse/Stiles dance was being held,” Silverman said.

He requested that students come forward if they saw “anything improper or inappropriate occur” during the raid, and he said he will be discussing the evening’s events with Higgins and Gentry.

Ezra Stiles Master Stephen Pitti sent a similar e-mail at about 3 a.m. Saturday, asking students to contact him and Dean Camille Lizarribar with information about the raid.

Friday night marked the second weekend the “Operation Nightlife” unit had been deployed, Melendez said, explaining that the unit includes not just officers, but bicycles, motorcycles, an emergency response team, a mobile command unit and police dogs. He added that this weekend is the last time it will be. Going forward, the city will instead have a “sustainable” unit, he said, which is an enhanced unit the department will deploy less frequently and without prior notice.

As the Elevate raid went on Saturday, less than a block away, a fight broke out between two women at the intersection of College and Crown streets. Though students reported hearing shots fired in the vicinity, Melendez said no shots were fired and that those responsible for the scuffle were arrested.

Last weekend, when “Operation Nightlife” officially started, police arrested two men in connection with the Sept. 19 Crown Street shooting. Police also arrested five for disorderly conduct, broke up two fights and confiscated two fake IDs downtown, they said.

Egidio DiBenedetto and Colin Ross contributed reporting.

• penny_lane

This is truly despicable conduct on behalf of the NHPD. I was under the impression that Operation Nightlife’s main goal was to curb drunken violence (shootings, stabbings, etc.) at night clubs, not harass college students. Given that it was a private event, busting in the way they did seems completely inappropriate, and I’m not surprised this led some students to be “uncooperative.” It seems like this was some kind of power trip for the NHPD, not an act of genuine concern for the consequences of what might be happening at the Morse/Stiles Screw. Also, is it even legal for them to tell people not to document the events? I am absolutely appalled.

• NotTelling

There was no police brutality here because the police cannot do any wrong. We at the government are granted special powers and immunities, effectively exempting us from common morality.

This would have been criminal if Microsoft employees or gang members conducted the raid, but because it was government employees nothing was wrong about it.

“New Haven Assistant Chief of Operations Ariel Melendez said the police conducting the raid in no way acted inappropriately …”

http://youareproperty.blogspot.com/2010/06/we-are-exempt-from-your-morality.html

• mrmike527

Is there any chance this club owner sues NHPD? Is that even possible? Because they claim they saw people without proper ID getting into the club, but even though they checked every student they only made one alcohol-related arrest. Why is this even a part of their crackdown strategy? The gunfights have had absolutely nothing to do with Yale students either as criminals or victims.

Its a bummer for the businesses but it sounds like the city clearly does not want Yale students at the clubs in that area. You’re going to taser and beat a kid, arrest three others, and essentially hold hundreds more without giving a reason for a half hour so you can make one underage drinking arrest? I know very little about what the police can and cannot do, but I was there, and it felt wrong. It also didn’t help that they seemed dedicated to making sure nobody could videotape what they were doing.

• mc14

How appalling that NHPD aren’t focussing their time on dealing with their crime-riddled city, as opposed to pursuing a bunch of college students at what was a civilised and well-managed event!

It is disappointing that a world-class university like Yale is let down by a city it does everything it can to help and support. I have wondered before why we bother, and I ask again if it would not be better to lead a detached existence apart from the third-rate city we are unfortunate enough to be located in. There is nothing to be gained from the university immersing itself in a city which treats it in this way.

• sleuth707

Oh, sure, any effort to curb gun violence should definitely begin with the Yale Community, right? I mean, isn’t that what crime demographics support?

Police: “Hey, I am not a demographic, I’m a Republican.”

We need to respect police officers, except when they behave like mindless thugs.

• Loisen

Hey kids, this is an old alumni `79 saying “Welcome to the Good Ole Days at Yale”. Back to the times when the police would beat up students and send them to the hospital. Back to the times when they would arrest students who would dare to record the police violence. Remember the sweet smell of student’s blood as four police officers would beat up one student.

Except now they have a new toy and they had to use it, the Taser. One student dared to question their actions so they had to taser him. Don’t you students know that all rights were eliminated by Baby Bush.

And the whole thing was based on some bogus excuse. They say they were there to stop violence, but they were the only ones who were violent. Be careful, it will get worse before it gets better.

• nope

stupidest. s–t. ever.

• cappi

Disgusting abuse of power.

• trivera

Yale students are generally understanding, reasonable, and cooperative individuals. There was no need for NHPD to exercise that much force. When NHPD raided Toads a few years ago, it didn’t need a SWAT team or Tasers and they accomplished what they wanted to accomplish – cracked down on underage drinking. I share the incredulity of mrmike527 at they hypocrisy of NHPD’s actions: “they claim they saw people without proper ID getting into the club, but even though they checked every student, they only made one alcohol-related arrest.”

I would like Yale’s Associate Vice President for New Haven and State Affairs to call for an independent and impartial (aka non-NHPD) investigation into this appalling incident. NHPD should be ashamed and the Yale community should be in an uproar.

• Yalie08

Obviously this sucks and my sympathies go out to the students at this event. But who in the world decided to put this event at Elevate? A shootout occurred at this corner last week. What a terrible place to put a Yale event. I’m sure it was scheduled in advance, but after a major incidence of violence outside the bar, you’d think someone would move the event. Morse and Stiles picked the one corner of town where the cops were guaranteed to be on edge and armed with heavy weapons. Yalies need to venture into New Haven with a bit more care.

• yale10

Are you really going to put this on the students in Morse and Stiles? To book a New Haven club, you need to start planning way in advance. And if you wanted to host a Yale party safely away from a corner that hasn’t seen violence, you’d have to host it somewhere on the trail to East Rock. And I don’t typically expect to get attacked by police when there was a potential shooting somewhere in the vicinity. Especially by the police.

• cyalie

refer to: Stanford Prison Experiment.

• Y11

@mc14

Obviously, these reported acts seem incredibly irresponsible on the part of the NHPD. But to blame the entire “crime-riddled” city of New Haven for an isolated incident is shockingly elitist. That kind of isolationist attitude is exactly what makes Yalies and New Haveners so distrustful of each other – and what makes incidents like this more likely. Apparently you’re a freshman, but you’ll be living here for the next four years, so I don’t know why you refer to New Haven as “their” city – it’s your city too. Perhaps you should focus on mending relationships and working to improve what you see as wrong with the city instead of shutting yourself up in an ivory tower. I would hope that if you got into Yale you have at least some inkling of the value of public service.

• wtf

I was there, and to be honest I have never been more scared in my entire life. The police stormed in and immediately acted as if we were all criminals. They did not say anything at all except to order us around. I agree that it was purely a power trip on the part of NHPD, since they made ONE alcohol-related arrest. If this is not incompetence, I don’t know what is. I arrived at the club around 11:30 and they were still checking IDs; the guy at the door gave my ID the most thorough check it has ever received.

Honestly, the NHPD needs to direct its attention at the real thugs and criminals prowling the streets of New Haven, not Yale students. We are probably the only good thing that this town has going for it, and actions like this will certainly dissuade the Yale community from trying to do any good at all. I have heard criticisms in the past that Yale should be doing way more for this city, but in all honesty, if this is the thanks we will get, I don’t want any part of it.

I’m not suggesting that Yale should be above the law, but the law (and those who enforce it) is not above us by treating us in this way. Police officers are supposed to be there to protect innocent citizens from actual criminals, not treating us like the bad guys. I am disgusted, and all my respect for the NHPD has evaporated along with the liquor on the floor at Elevate.

• mc14

@Y11

It’s very notable that in the whole of the ‘That’s Why I Chose Yale’ video there’s no mention whatsoever of New Haven, or indeed anywhere off campus. New Haven isn’t an asset to Yale; it’s a liability (and probably the only real reason we trail Harvard on cross-admits.)

The murder rate in this city (this year in particular) is startling. That the police decide their way to tackle it is through an inappropriate and irresponsible raid on an entirely inconspicuous college party says a lot about -their- attitude to public service, and I’d argue that those who are paid to serve the public are the ones who should take a particular interest in it.

I for one find it difficult to engage with the wider city when the crime rate is what it is, and when I don’t feel I can trust the NHPD to look after our safety rather than engaging in the sort of mindlessness last night exemplified. I wish it were different, but Yale cannot lead this change – it has to come from creating a safer and more relaxed environment in New Haven as a whole, and the attitude taken by the NHPD is central to that.

To that end, I agree with you that there -should- be a lot that Yale can do to be involved positively in New Haven, but until the neighbourhoods right next to campus are safe places throughout the day and night, things will not be right here. Morse and Stiles went out into New Haven last night, gave business to a responsible local company, and look how it ended up. New Haven simply needs to get its own house in order, and at the moment it’s not even coming close.

• Saybrook10

@ *wtf*: I’m not sure how long you’ve been in New Haven, but I have to chime in with *Y11* and say that you, along with another commenter here, are a member of the community of New Haven, simply by choosing to live here as a student at Yale. Comments like “we are probably the only good thing this town has going for it,” and “if this is the thanks we will get, I don’t want any part of it” show a clear lack of any knowledge the vibrant culture that exists in New Haven (beyond the boundaries of Yale’s campus), and a lack of knowledge of how mutually fruitful many of the lasting relationships formed between Yale and non-Yale New Haven residents and entities are and can be. This incident, through investigation, may prove to have been idiotic and misguided, but do not let it direct your interpretation of the entire city of New Haven and all it has to offer you, and all that you can offer it. Take some time to explore without being afraid, and have a little humility knowing that there are plenty of people who reside around you who are brilliant, progressive, and dedicated to their community, yet unaffiliated with Yale–certainly something good that this town has going for it.

• morse_14

As a fellow Morse ’14er — and one who grew up in a large city, where crime was also prevalent, I have to say that I was shocked by the behavior of the New Haven PD. They were irresponsible and conducted themselves disgracefully.

There’s a reason for the town-gown divide: the NHPD needs to stop wasting their resources on the Yale community and try to clean up downtown and make it safe for everyone, Yalies and New Haven residents alike. Why not arrest people who are actually committing crimes rather than a bunch of Yale students having a good time? Surely there are people who deserve to have their lives disrupted by the police — and more than 99.9% of Yalies don’t fall into that category.

• DT_MC10

I’m pretty sure if you’re on public property you can film as long as it is not obtrusive to the police officers (i.e. obstructing justice), which is left to the officer’s judgment. Some states have issues with recording an audio track. There is no CT law that makes filming an on-duty police officer in public illegal.

I think this speaks more to the tensions between Yale and New Haven. It’s very much an us vs. them mentality. It’s starting to show in police action I was privy to last year and now these incidents. [Cops arrested someone outside Toad’s and subsequently tackled and arrested his friend for taping it][1] recently, marking a trend that this attitude is translating into more violent reactions. I’m sure it’d suck to be a cop trying to do your job and detain someone probably drunk at 2AM while someone else is videotaping you, but they are trained officers and I’m hoping that there is some sort of professionalism involved in the job training. When you raid a place for under-aged drinking – the probably cause was insufficient ID checks- and make only one alcohol related arrest out of five arrests total even though everyone inside was checked, something is wrong. When you use four trained police officers in to subdue and allegedly beat an already-tased student, something definitely needs redressed. And when you create a city-wide program to “keep people safe in the city’s entertainment district” which in turn brutalizes college students creating no immediate threat to themselves or others in a private space that happens to be in a violent area, something is horribly wrong.

[1]: http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/quinnipiac-student-arrested-after-filming-another-students-arrest/

• FreddyHoneychurch

So, now that you’ve at last experienced that rite of passage in which law-abiding citizens, future leaders, even the very backbone of a community are harassed and humiliated by power-tripping police, what are you going to do about it?

By all means write your letters and e-mail your deans (who will e-mail other people to no real use).

But some of you who were there should organize a meaningful protest in which actual people gather together to make a point by showing up in a common place to speak with a common voice.

• Prof3

I agree: it is completely outrageous that the New Haven Police would treat white, rich kids like they would anyone else. And it is crazy for police officers to be nervous at a place that was just recently the scene of a shooting — they should understand that Privileged White People were there and would magically keep away anyone that could be dangerous to them.

Finally, it is important for the Deans and Masters get involved here. After all, their basic function is to make sure that Yale students never have the face the consequences of their own actions, or deal with any of the unpleasant features of the society in which they live.

I hope the Yale Corporation Counsel is on this. Maybe President Levin can threaten to withhold Yale’s “gifts” to New Haven until there are apologies all around. Just because people are routinely murdered in this town does not mean the police should enforce the law against everyone.

• DLee

It is a shame I can get robbed on Park Street outside of JoJo’s in broad daylight. Its a shame that shootings can happen two blocks from my friend’s apartment on High Street. Its a shame that my fellow students can get tasered by the very police who claim to “protect” us. How good of a job is this? I cannot trust the Police now!

I do not feel safe in New Haven. No wonder Yale students live in a bubble!

• morse_14

@Prof3:

Your comment will become relevant (and maybe even meaningful!) when a Yale undergrad is convicted of some sort of violent crime. Until then, drop the rhetoric and get real.

• wtf

@Saybrook10
    I grew up about thirty minutes away from Yale, so I am at least a bit familiar with crime in the city of New Haven. It’s easy to come from a privileged, protected environment and pretend that everything is fine. The truth is that without Yale, this city would be a declining ex-industrial wasteland. See examples: Waterbury, Conn. and Bridgeport, Conn.

Since you have already graduated, I can only assume that you were not at Elevate last night. If so, you really have no business telling me that I am overreacting. When the police officers are the ones making me feel unsafe in New Haven, something is wrong.

• BenS

@Prof3–You’re completely missing the point: it’s not that Yale students should be treated differently than anyone else, it’s that *no one* should be treated the way we were last night: A few hundred people were unlawfully detained for in excess of an hour, excessive force was used against a number of students, and many others (including me) had property unlawfully seized. We don’t expect special “Yale rights,” just the normal American ones.

• y10br

@wtf – “when the police officers are the ones making me feel unsafe.” Welcome to minority America. How can we help you?

@morse_14 – Wait, serious? Yalies aren’t convinced of real crimes? There’s the guy had enough ammo to blow up several buildings with bullets, there are the stalkers, the break-ins by Yale students, the Yale students that went around burning other people’s American flags, or the Yalies who got into a massive fight that broke the window glass at G-Heav. Seriously, you are a frosh and somehow think that Yale students are nice, wonderful, innocent people who would never get in trouble. Yale students commit crimes in this city all the time too. We’re just A) less likely to get caught B) less likely to get in trouble. Though to be fair, we haven’t shot anyone yet.

@DLee – This is life in a city. New Haven’s crime rate isn’t astronomically higher than most cities. Sometimes, this kind of stuff happens. The police shouldn’t have tased, but to be honest, Yale students were up in arms about more police enforcement and harsher controls in the entertainment districts in New Haven because of the shootings. Now you get it and it turned on Yalies, enough said.

@mc14 – You are adorable, really, you are, my cherub faced innocent. You live in New Haven now, I don’t care where you vote. Those other 150,000 people that live in your city and aren’t Yalies ALSO matter. I know it is sad to know that New Haven isn’t a perfectly safe place in all circumstances (I’m sure your mother sent you bubble-wrap), but there’s stuff to do in this city that won’t get you mugged and is further away than two blocks from Yale. And if you think Yale has done everything it can do to help New Haven, you are so bloody ignorant of the ways in which New Haven and Yale have interacted for the last 5 decades that the only worthy response is “You are a freshmen.”

As for everything else – look, this kind of stuff happiness. I’m sorry it happened to you wonderful people who would never ever question authority, but when you complain about how unsafe the city is, New Haven Police react by trying to be tough guys, which eventually means you’ll get screwed. By the way, other places got raided the last two weeks and the only people that can mount an effective “investigation” is because it happened to wealthy kids near their nice university. If the police had already said they were going into Elevate last week and nobody coordinated with them, it’s even sadder. If this gets attention to the problem of the NHPD being too aggressive, yay! The city will be more fun for me. In the meantime though, examine your privilege and stop whinning.

• y10br

@BenS – That’s fantastic and I agree. But I have a feeling if you framed these kinds of raids to the Yale population (and they weren’t targeted at them) as “necessary means of checking to see if anybody was intoxicated with weapons before they left the club to go into streets near Yale”, you’d get almost no pushback.

The good news is that they’ll stop doing this because they did it to Yale students. It’s depressing that Yale students have reacted by portraying themselves as unique buildings who want to now screw New Haven.

• mc14

@y10br

It’s funny how many of your comments on this website boil down, essentially, to ‘freshmen aren’t entitled to have opinions, unless they’re my opinions.’ I’d love to hear your argument as to how last night’s actions served the interests of Yale students or the wider New Haven community.

And I know you love to throw insults around, but really, it’s not me who’s ‘bloody ignorant’ – it’s people who delude themselves that New Haven’s a safe place. It isn’t. And when the police are the ones helping to make it unsafe and uncomfortable, we should really start worrying.

It seems to me that you are more worried that the NHPD spreads its viciousness evenly than that it focusses on real crime and its perpetrators. Personally I’d rather they spend their time investigating one of the many unsolved murders that has plagued the city this year. Perhaps then they might move from being ‘entirely ineffective’ to the heady heights of ‘fairly ineffective’.

• pablum

The sense of entitlement in some of these comments is astounding. Yale students, get over yourselves.

• tonykez

***There has to be a better way!***

• yalie13

This is a grotesque waste of taxpayer money. Instead of curtailing theft, real violence, and taking care of serious problems within the city that have gone way out of hand, the police are misusing their authority and just looking for excuses to legitimize their funding increase.

They obviously were looking for trouble and caused far more trouble than they prevented. If anybody should be tasered, brutally beaten, and arrested, it should have been those officers who created chaos out of nothing (and not to mention we’re paying them to do that). If they didn’t show up that night, none of this commotion would have occurred.

If the mayor doesn’t administer an apology and solve this situation, I’d be surprised if he’ll be getting many Yalie votes.

• wtf

@y10br,

Your comment is racist and unnecessary. I should not be afraid of police officers unless I have committed a crime. I have no problems with police officers being tough and heavy-handed on those who deserve it, like the people who were involved in the recent shootings on Crown Street. For those who don’t deserve it, I want them to lay off.

I’m not saying that Yale students do not commit crimes, or that they don’t deserve to get caught, but innocent bystanders, as the people at Elevate clearly were, did not deserve the treatment we got from the NHPD last night. The fact that there was ONE alcohol-related arrest speaks to the fact that the police should have been spending their time elsewhere.

• y10br

@mc14 – Freshmen are entitled to opinions, but certainly not ones about New Haven, an area they’ve probably seen for less than a month and mostly in a two block area. I don’t think last night’s action served the interests of Yale students, though they did serve the ones of the New Haven community: now that the raided the Yalies, they’ll get really upset, there will be investigations, and the raids on the rest of the New Haven community will probably calm down, yay.

New Haven is as safe as you want to make it. I spent four years as a Yale student – not once did a friend of mine get attacked or mugged or anything in New Haven. On the other hand, my closest friend from HS got mugged in front of the CVS at Harvard Square in her first week there. Hum, anecdotes, they are my friend. No, but seriously. The area around Yale was statistically safer than Cambridge for awhile. I remember reading the stats. I did a quick search and found the 01-02 and 04 stats.

http://www.stalcommpol.org/data.html
    http://www.ivygateblog.com/images/ivy_crime_stats_big.jpg

Again, New Haven is ‘safe’. If for you, ‘safe’ means ‘there is never a possibility that I will get something bad done to me’, than no. But that’s such an absurd, I-lived-in-nice-neighborhoods-of-the-upper-quartile-range that it seems silly to expect that from any city.

Finally, about the murders – they are unsolved, sure, but it seems you are engaging in the oldest fallacy of all – the idea that police departments can’t do two things at once. Anyway, look, I don’t think the raid was a good idea, but they’ve been doing this all over New Haven. If this is what it takes to stop the raids in other places, it was worth it.

• benstango

For those who witnessed the Morse-Stiles Screw raid, filling out a police report is a top prioirty. Visit http://www.cityofnewhaven.com/FormsCentral/index.asp and select the “Citizen Complaint Form” under the section entitled “Police Department Related Forms.” This is the most effective means of ensuring that the police listen and respond.

-Ben Stango

• marktryk

ah the outrage!, the namby pambyness! – what those students need is a tissue ……..

• penny_lane

y10br (howdy college-mate!): New Haven is safe for whom? Yale students? Sure, as long as we stay within a few blocks of central campus. New Haven residents? Not so much. Yale students are not a threat to New Haven residents (although, the fact that the club was 50% over capacity may have made their numbers a threat–but then the answer is to do like what happened at Crushes and Chaperons last year: turn the lights on and turn the music off until everybody leaves…I digress), which is part of why spending so much money on treating them with so little respect is stupid and outrageous.

• The_Lorax

Oh, please. This is not real police brutality. Yeah, stupid, power trippy bad judgment, but brutality? You don’t have a clue…

• SY14
  • pablum

POLICE BRUTALITY: 1. n. An occurrence in which a representative of the public, acting in the capacity of constable, brutishly fails to address a Yale student in the manner due a gentlemen of high extraction. 2. n. A demonstration of boorishness in the administration of constabulary duties, usually (a) failing to tip one’s hat to a gentleman, (b) lacking the use of proper honorifics, (c) ignoring the privileges of station, and/or (d) refusing due deference. 3. n. A failure to grasp the position of importance that each Yale student has in or for any given host as a unique source of (a) revenue, (b) culture, and/or (c) cleanliness; also, for female constables, failure to curtsy before a Yale student.

• Fact

Dear pablum: You seem to be out of touch. Let’s talk numbers. Did you know that more that 50% of Yale students receive financial aid? That means that 50% of Yale students come from a socio-economic background that makes it impossible for them to pay full tuition. More than 30% are not “white”. The Yale demographic has changed over the past 50 years. Do your homework, lest you enjoying being a bigot without reason. Start here: http://www.yale.edu/oir/factsheet.html. Then peruse this: http://www.match.dwighthall.org/search.php?seeall=yes. Then I invite you to sensibly argue your point with facts of your own finding.

• TD10

So let me get this straight: in response to a string of violent crime, the NHPD arms a few goons to the teeth, and sends them after a Yale party, which was by all accounts run by-the-book. There, they harass the crowd and beat up and taser a student. All the while, they’re racking up overtime at taxpayers’ (read, Yale’s) expense.

• pbolog

If the NHPD sends the SWAT team in when they have a report of possible under-age drinking, what do they do when there is the report of a violent crime? The SWAT team for under-age drinking????? Yeah, I would say that is a bit excessive!!!!!

• Yalie

DT_MC10: “I’m pretty sure if you’re on public property you can film as long as it is not obtrusive to the police officers (i.e. obstructing justice), which is left to the officer’s judgment. Some states have issues with recording an audio track. There is no CT law that makes filming an on-duty police officer in public illegal.”

The “film” was not shot on public property.

• dwscmt

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0Bzw6RLBkLgdeY2UzMTdlNWUtOGNkMy00YTgzLWIyM2YtN2M4ZGJhMDU5NmNi&hl=en

Dear Downtown Partners,

Please save the date and join us this Tuesday evening at 6pm at the Omni
    Hotel in New Haven for a Downtown New Haven Quality of Life and Security
    Summit.
    Tuesday
    October 5th
    6-7:30pm

The panel will consist of:

Bitsie Clark – Alderperson, Ward 7

Lt. Rebecca Sweeney – District Manager, NHPD

Rena Leddy – Executive Director, Town Green Special Services District

Rub Smuts – Chief Administrative Officer, City of New Haven
    Kelly Murphy – Economic Development Administrator, City of New Haven

The discussion wil be moderated by the Downtown-Wooster Square Community
    Management Team. Please join your neighbors and discuss the recent issues
    affecting our downtown.

If you have any questions, please feel free to the DWSCMT executive board at
    dws…@gmail.com or 203-936-9643

Best,

Doug Hausladen
    Chairman
    Downtown-Wooster Square CMT

Welcome to the Downtown-Wooster Square Community Management
    Team< http://www.cityofnewhaven.com/Police/Districts/Downtown.asp>
    For more options, visit our google group:
    http://groups.google.com/group/dwscmt
    Find us on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=56113805469
    Follow us on twitter: http://twitter/dwscmt
    Email us: dws…@gmail.com
    As a public meeting, it is alright and expected that members of the public
    cannot stay or arrive for the complete discussion. Please feel free to email
    our board with any questions with regards to your city.

• morse_14

@y10br:

Huh. Bullets. I have a collection of (legal) guns and bullets at home, including an assault rifle or two and hollow-point bullets. I also have a carry permit valid in the state of Connecticut. Bullets and guns aren’t always bad–in fact, having guns and ammo are rights enshrined in the Constitution.

Stalkers, break-ins, and flag-burning aren’t nearly as dangerous as shootings. They’re in completely different classes of crime. A fight in front of G-Heav that broke a window–that’s pretty bad. But neither does it approach the level of criminality of a shooting. All these actions–even combined!–don’t come close to the amount of crime committed in New Haven over the course of one weekend.

You say that freshmen aren’t entitled to opinions about New Haven–having lived in the vicinity full-time for a while when I was younger, I think that I am (not to mention that I’ve spent every single summer about half an hour away since I was born). Downtown New Haven is incredibly unsafe, and when the police waste their resources on a party that was actually enforcing rules and going by the book, something is wrong. There are higher priorities for the NHPD than underage drinking (especially when it’s not even occurring).

You rail against the fact that Yalies are less likely to get caught and/or get in trouble. Ever stop to think that’s because we don’t commit as many crimes? Your condescending arguments are highly unconvincing.

• ireverent

We feel so much safer now knowing that two under age drinkers are off the streets. I am sure that will look great on their police record when they petition for promotion. So they got the bad guys plus probably about 20 lawsuits, brilliant. How much overtime did this cost. There is a difference between enforcing the law and making it up as you go along.The thin blue line of incompetence. This should keep the police internal affairs division very busy for quite some time. The keystone cops strike again. Question authority before you are forced to genuflect to it. Don’t worry. They have an IQ cut off for the police, so no one from Yale could go into NHPD because over a certain IQ they will not accept you.

• sjatlas

As an alum, I’m a little surprised that an “official” residential college event would take place off-campus. Why?

• Quals

Check out NHPD arresting qpac student for filming an arrest:
    http://www.quchronicle.com/2010/09/video-senior-arrested-after-filming-another-students-arrest/

Would be great if Qpac and Yale students came together to protest outside police HQ this outrageous behavior.

• pc11

My problem is the logic of the police and Operation Nightlife. Can anyone explain this to me?

Why does *underage* drinking lead to violence more than legal-age drinking? It’s just a guess, but my hunch is that people under the age of 21 are less likely to own and bring violent weapons to clubs.

I wonder if I’ll get the SWAT team treatment if I tip off the police that I’ll be serving alcohol to minors in my apartment tonight. I mean, they only need one arrest to justify a raid, right?

But you know what **doesn’t** lead to violence? Marijuana. Legalize and tax pot, the state gets more money and violent crime (and the cost of policing it) goes down. Problem solved. NEXT!

• repatriate

When I lived in new haven, I routinely saw NHPD running DWB stops.

I never heard any articulate outrage on the topic.

This tactic will put a chill on New Haven nightlife, but if they’re doing this enforcement, yes, kollidge chilluns, they should be doing it to everyone. And equally nastily, especially the part about trying forcefully to keep you from documenting what’s going on.

A pushback for yourselves may also translate into assistance to everyone trying go out in New Haven.

so go for it, do try for the pushback, but be aware that it’s not going to come easy.

• blackcat

If your really that angry about it. Do what I did. Boycott the city of new haven . I was in a similar situation at toads a little over a year ago and I was also tased. Now I refuse to ever go back there . Not even if Jimi Hendrix comes back from the dead to play a show there will I ever ever spend another dime at a club in the city of new haven. And NHPD can suck i!. They’re all a bunch of nazis.