The Yale College Council e-mailed students Tuesday to invite them to a screening of “Law Abiding Citizen,” a new film featuring Jamie Foxx and Gerard Butler, and a discussion with Law School Dean Robert Post. Too bad the event took place this past Sunday, according to the e-mail.

In an e-mail to the News, YCC President Jeff Gordon ’12 said the invitation was supposed to be sent to students Friday, but arrived late due to a YaleStation server malfunction.

Please don’t stop the music. Davenport College Master Richard Schottenfeld sent an e-mail to students asking for help locating the college’s missing Fender portable sound system, last seen Sept. 5. “Given the economic times, having to replace the sound system may have an impact on future funding requests,” Schottenfeld wrote.

After a purse belonging to a member of the Yale Symphony Orchestra was stolen from Woolsey Hall while the orchestra rehearsed Monday, orchestra manager Brian Robinson announced that the YSO’s rehearsals are now closed to the public.

New Haven fire and police forces responded to reports of a strange odor near Union Station on Tuesday morning. Trains were suspended while authorities searched for a source, but service was restored before noon when their search “yielded negative results,” according to a spokesman.

“Life Musings from a Mugging.” Just hours after Benjamin Au ’10 was mugged on the corner of Elm Street and University Place at 9 a.m. by four to five males on bicycles, Pierson College Master Harvey Goldblatt forwarded Pierson students an e-mail from Au with this subject line about the ordeal. “This is not an isolated incident,” Au wrote. “Know where’s safe and where’s not and plan accordingly.”

Lawrence Summers, President Barack Obama’s chief economic adviser, will leave the White House at the end of the year and return to Harvard, where he was president between 2001 and 2006. See story, page 11.

Julie Aust ’14 won the YPU Freshmen Prize Debate Tuesday, taking home a lifetime membership to the YPU, a cash prize and dinner with a future YPU guest of her choice.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1969 Roughly 600 scholars, students and kids “sit on the grass and talk” at an outdoor festival on Old Campus. Among the guests were Yale College Dean John Wilkinson and Vincent Scully ’40 GRD ’49.

Submit tips to Cross Campus: crosscampus@yaledailynews.com