Happy 5,771st birthday, world! Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, begins tonight.

And the Slifka Center has some new competition, from perhaps an unlikely corner: Tonight, Mory’s will be serving matzo ball soup, noodle kugel and carrot tzimmes.

The end of an era for English department. In an e-mail to English majors with the subject line “LEAVING ENGLISH!!!!,” English Department registrar Ruben Roman announced Tuesday that he will be leaving the department Sept. 24 to take a position as assistant registrar of Yale College. He’s taking the bowl of Hershey’s Kisses on his desk with him.

Third again?! In the QS World University Rankings released this week, the University of Cambridge bumped Harvard from the top spot. Yale finished third for the second straight year. Yale also ranked third in the most recent rankings by U.S. News & World Report.

How’s that for grand strategy? To dodge crowds at his “Grand Strategy and the Origins of the Second World War” class, history professor Paul Kennedy e-mailed only those students who had been accepted into the class, notifying them to meet in the Davenport Seminar Room, not in a Hall of Graduate Studies seminar room, as listed on OCS.

The really-early-bird not-so-special. Dinner time at Commons now starts at 2:30 p.m. instead of 4 p.m. — an unpleasant surprise for many late lunchers who have tried to eat dinner later, only to find that their dinner swipes have already been used.

Hakuna matata. Sillimanders took a study break Tuesday night to watch “The Lion King” in the Silliman Courtyard — except those who had to keep studying, and then also had to close their windows.

The famous Fair model, the brainchild of economics professor Ray Fair, predicts the Democrats may lose control of the U.S. House of Representatives this November, but the election may be closer than most polls are projecting. Fair’s formula, based on economic indicators, correctly predicts all but three presidential elections since 1916.

A shotgun-wielding robber held up a man in New Haven’s Newhallville neighborhood Monday night and stole his iPhone.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1943 Plans for a freshman dance, open to all armed force and civilian freshmen, are approved. Ticket prices are expected to cost $3 per couple.

Submit tips to Cross Campus: crosscampus@yaledailynews.com