S A T U R D A Y / / A U G U S T 2 8

BOOKS ARE BETTER THAN KEVIN SORBO (AKA CROTONIA LITERARY SOCIETY)

BERKELEY COMMON ROOM // 7:30 PM

In the past, whenever we attended this charming group’s charming literary fêtes, everyone brought a copy of their favorite books and poems and read it aloud. Snaps. One girl read the entire proposal scene from Pride and Prejudice. Someone else read Tom Waits lyrics. Someone else read Dorthy Parker and then read an entire chapter of Harry Potter. So it’s a mixed bag of well-meaning oddballs and certainly not as serious as the Yale Lit, whom we always strive to impress with every fiber of our existence always. (Side note: Books may be better than Kevin Sorbo — but they are not better than Lucy Lawless. #goddammit.)

GETS THE GIRL + LIFE SIZE MAPS

LOCAL 269: NEW YORK, NY // 9:30 PM

Two great bands we haven’t heard enough from yet, Yale / NYC power duo Gets the Girl and Columbia’s Life Size Maps, are playing this weekend in NYC. The Internet says they’re “back from a six month hiatus,” which makes sense because Ellis Ludwig-Leone has been working hard on his other band, Sic Inc. You can dig all of that. Plus, New York is not very far from here, and if you make the trip, the concert is at a Union headquarters, The Local 269. And unions are cooler than you are. AND HEY BRING A DATE AND YOU MIGHT EVEN GET THE…[nervous panting].

SKETCH COMEDY SHOWCASE

DAVENPORT COMMON ROOM // 10:30 PM

With all of the madness over improv and a cappella at Yale, many kids overlook the likes of sketch comedy groups Red Hot Poker and The Fifth Humour. While The Fifth Humour lost some major players in Claire Gordon, Streeter Phillips and Ross Uhrich, Red Hot (not to be confused with “Jazz-themed” a cappella group Red Hot and Blue) is standing strong with ex-Whiffenpoof Jerry Lieblich, Kristia Wantchekon, Jason Richey and former YCC president Jon Wu.

WYBC YALE RADIO PARTY

216 DWIGHT STREET // 11:30 PM

Radio at Yale has a new, sleek and sexy feel thanks to Sean Owczarek and his executive board of 80 kids who’ve built a digital station, basement concert series and magazine that is Volume’s contentious baby cousin, featuring “experiential” writing. If you’re interested in becoming a radio deejay or acquiring a leadership position in a well-endowed organization during your first year of membership, show up to the WYBC mixer Saturday at 9:30 in Calhoun College Suite K11. There will surely be some PBR on hand to hold you over before the main event later that night, an 11:30 pm hootenany at 216 Dwight Street. Very sustainable.

TOAD’S

300 YORK STREET // 11:00 PM

“Why are frogs so happy? They eat whatever bugs them.” – Anonymous. The infamy! All roads obviously lead to this hallowed York Street dancehall and concert venue that hosts the impious saliva-swapping and heavyweight grinding of Yale’s most devoted clubkids like a legendary irresponsible parent. We recommended Wednesday nights more than the Saturday cattle call, but witness this awesome weekend staple once and you will have lived.