Judge dismisses Apache suit against Skull and Bones

A District of Columbia judge July 27 dismissed the case brought by descendants of the Native American chieftain Geronimo against Skull and Bones, as well as the University and senior members of the U.S. government, in February 2009. Their lawyer, Ramsey Clark, said he is not giving up and will now turn to the agencies in the executive branch and the Department of Defense that his clients previously tried to bypass.

The objective of the original suit was to recover Geronimo’s remains and reinter them near his birthplace at the head of the Gila River in New Mexico. Geronimo is reportedly buried in a prisoner of war cemetery in Fort Sill, Okla., but according to legend, Prescott Bush — Yale graduate, Bonesman, father of former President George H.W. Bush ’48 and grandfather of former President George W. Bush ’68 — looted that grave in 1918 or 1919 and took the chief’s skull, along with some of his other bones and artifacts buried with him, back to the Skull and Bones tomb on High Street in New Haven.

Yale has said it does not possess the remains, but that it cannot say whether the secret society — a separate entity — might have them. A representative of Skull and Bones has declined to comment on the matter.

• Apology

Let me get this straight.

In the summer list of contents for the YDS on-line edition I see that on the hundredth anniversary of Geronimo’s death (Feb. 17, 2009) a Yale secret society is being sued for recovery of Geronimo’s grave-robbed skull; and on the hundredth
    anniversary of Yale Professor Bingham’s discovery of the treasures at Machu Picchu Yale itself is being sued for recovery of those Inca artifacts.

What was going on at Yale 100 years ago that made Yalies (both undergraduate and faculty) think it was OK to steal?

Could it be that people of red and brown skin were not seen as human and therefore not eligible to be embraced by the long WHITE Judeo-Christian arm of the Ten Commandments?

Ironic since the authors of the Decalogue (The Ten Commandments) had browner skin than Obama.

Give the skull back. Give the artifacts back. And maybe Yale should give whatever buildings were built by slaves back. (But to whom?)

In any of these three instances, has any spokesperson thought of simply offering a SINCERE APOLOGY?

Oh, an apology suggests guilt, or at least culpability.

Can’t do that.

PK
    M.Div. ’80

• @PK

“And maybe Yale should give whatever buildings were built by slaves back.”

You, sir, are a moron.

• Devoid

@ 2

You, sir (and I use the term loosely) are devoid of irony.

PK

• theantiyale

PS
    Irony Deficiency Anemia.

PK