Alyssa Roland ’11 celebrated her 21st birthday by winning the Ivy League individual championship on Sunday.

“I wasn’t nervous at all,” she said. “I just went out there and tried to have a good time.”

Roland’s success was not enough to propel the women’s team to victory, as the Elis finished in second place at the tournament, which was held at the historic Baltusrol Golf Club in Springfield, N.J.. The Bulldogs fell to Penn by 22 strokes.

The men’s team also had its Ivy League Championship on the same course this weekend, finishing in second place as well. The team narrowly loss to Columbia by three strokes. Tom McCarthy ’11 was the best Eli finisher, taking third place in the tournament.

Coming off of last week’s fifth place finish in the Caves Valley Spring Intercollegiate, the men saw Penn and Harvard as the teams to beat at the Ivies. One the first day of competition, the Bulldogs had shot a 302, good for second place behind the Crimson, which had a cumulative score of 297. The Elis were in position to make a move in the second round.

But it was the Lions that came roaring back. After shooting a cumulative 309 in the first round for a sixth place finish on the day, Columbia posted a second round score of287 to take first place heading into Sunday.

The Bulldogs also improved their score in round two, shooting a cumulative 297 for the day. In the third round both Yale and Columbia shot a 294, but the Lions’ second round score was too much for the Bulldogs to overcome. They lost by three strokes, with Columbia shooting a cumulative 890 in the tournament. Yale shot an 893.

“I’m devastated,” captain Ben Wescoe ’10 said. “It was a tough finish but I’m proud of all my teammates and everything we’ve accomplished this year.”

The women did some improving of their own over the course of three days of golf. After finishing round one on Friday in fifth place with a 328, the Elis bested Friday’s score by 14 strokes on Saturday. The 314 of the day moved the Bulldogs into third place. On Sunday, they maintained their momentum and dropped another five strokes from the second round for a cumulative 309, placing them in second place for the finish with a cumulative 951 in the tournament, three strokes ahead of Harvard and 22 strokes behind the winner, Penn.

Harriet Owers-Bradley ’11 said after losing by two strokes in the Ivies to Harvard last year, the team was just glad that Harvard didn’t win it.

For the men, McCarthy once again led the team. After shooting a 76 in the first round, McCarthy advanced his position in the second and third rounds, shooting a 71 and a 69 for a cumulative 216 in the tournament, and a third place overall finish.

“He has been a stud all year and was without a doubt the Ivy Player of the Year,” Wescoe said. “He played his heart out this weekend.”

Brad Kushner ’13 tied for 10th in the tournament, shooting his lowest round on Sunday, a 71, for a cumulative 226.

Kushner said everyone on the team put everything into this tournament, but ultimately came up a little short.

Wescoe tied for 13th with a cumulative 227.

McCarthy said he really wanted to win the Ivies for Ben, as he has been a great captain and best friend.

Brandon Marick ’11 took 19th, shooting a 229. Carson Weinand ’13 rounded out the top five for the Bulldogs, and, after improving each day of the tournament, ended with a combined 241, tying him for 33rd place.

For the women, Roland led the field in the tournament, shooting a cumulative 227. Roland improved each successive day in the tournament, dropping two strokes in round two and three strokes in round three.

Callie Kemmer ’12 also did extremely well, tying for fifth place and shooting a combined 231.

Kemmer said while putting was difficult, the team’s drives, which were long and straight, helped them do so well.

Cassie Boles ’11 tied for 17th with her 248, and Harriet Owers-Bradley ’11 tied for 19th just one stroke behind Boles. Alexandra Lipa ’13 completed the list of Yale competitors, tying for 26th.

Roland said the high scores on the course, which was par-72 for the women and par-70 for the men, were because of double-cut and rolled greens, which were very fast. She added the women’s scores got lower over the course of the tournament because their putting improved.

In terms of the rest of the season, Wescoe said the winner of the Ivies for the men, Columbia, advances to the NCAA Regional Championship at Yale. Wescoe said the team can hope for an at-large bid.

“I refuse to let the results this weekend dampen what has been one of the great campaigns in Yale Golf program history,” Sheehan said. “We were awesome this year.”

While Kemmer said she doubted the women’s team would get an at-large bid for the Regions, Roland said the team is very excited about its potential at next year’s Ivies, because Penn is graduating three of their top players, while no one from Yale’s Ivy Tournament team is graduating.