Perrotti e-mails will be missed

With the departure of Yale Police Chief James Perrotti, students will have to get used to a new name in their inboxes.

“I hope Perrotti schools the new police chief about how to write informative e-mails to the Yale community,” Andy Shumaker ’10 joked.

As Yale’s top cop, who for the last 12 years wrote e-mails to Yalies when someone was robbed or stabbed, prepares to leave in June, most of more than 30 graduate and undergraduate students interviewed Sunday said the Yale Police Department under Perrotti’s leadership has made them feel secure. But about half a dozen students had a range of complaints about the department, from too much attention to jaywalking to too few e-mails concerning off-campus crimes.

In fact, these e-mails have likely been the only real contact with the Yale police for many students. Students said the messages have proven to be both comforting and alarming, letting them know the police are on the case but also reminding them that crimes are regular occurrences on campus.

And several graduate students, including Italian literature doctoral candidate Griffin Oleynick GRD ’14, said the police do not report enough of the serious crimes committed on the outskirts of the campus, areas where many graduate students live.

Perrotti said in a recent interview that he determines whether to send an e-mail based on the location and nature of the crime. For example, if an assailant and a victim know each other and neither is affiliated with Yale, even if the crime happened one block from campus, he may not send out an e-mail because there is a very low threat to students.

Nonetheless, most of the students said they felt well informed about on-campus crime. Alexis Wise ’13 said that though the e-mails are the butt of many students’ jokes, they do provide a sense of security.

“They really do show that they care about our safety,” she said. “It reminds you that there is a world outside the Yale bubble.”

Yet Tao Gao GRD ’12 had a simpler way to measure Perrotti’s performance.

“I never got robbed,” Gao said, and therefore he thought Perrotti had done a good job.

Perrotti is the second Yale security official to retire in the last few months. The director of Yale Security, an unarmed force that assists the YPD, retired at the end of last year as part of its restructuring, and former New Haven Police Chief Francisco Ortiz has taken over the operations.

University President Richard Levin said news about the next chief will be forthcoming.

• Recent Alum

Why no reporting of the reason for this early retirement by Chief Perrotti?

• paranoia extreme

E-mails have been being sent out for 12 years? I don’t remember them past a couple of years ago. And the ones we do receive have been so sanitized to reflect political correctness on campus thier usefulness is debatable. Seems the security director retired so quiclky even he didn’t know he had decided to leave. Now Perrotti gets the sudden urge to see the world. Either we’re not being told something or the NHPD is pushing thier way in.

• already know

I don’t know. Just how does The New Haven Register obtain it’s police blotter info ? Or the WTNH TV & On-line “tnh”, or The Newhavenindependent for that matter. The Police publicly release the info and the press prints it. I remember when news agencies had police scanners on. Are the other agencies blocking out your Daily News or are they counting on YPD or Yale security or doormen to send it over. But this is what they promised to do as part of some bargaining agreement ? Part of their job to obtain info and mass e-mail the alert ?
    #2 is dead on target with that, i hate to bump that post. Yes they won’t give a smidgeon of description,maybe it is to usurp Yales security authority

• student

Why so much attention to jaywalking and almost none on the insane, speeding traffic around campus?

YPD should be pulling over drivers left and right like a turkey shoot.

I take issue with the emails – almost always about stupid things like purse snatchings, and only one or two per year about traffic/speeding which is 100 times more likely to kill or injure a Yale person. Yale staff and faculty are getting mowed down and injured on the streets literally every day around New Haven, especially around the med school, yet not a single report/email is filed. Why?

I’d like to see the homicidal drivers around here put in their place.

• Uhh

The headline for this article is really bad. Maybe Chief Perroti himself will eb missed, but I’m not going to miss the emails from Chief Perrotti – every time we got one meant that yet another student was robbed or mugged or assaulted by some random person in New Haven. Yet another pin poking in my side reminding me that I should have gone to Princeton where they don’t have to deal with this crap.

• By the way…

Perroti doesn’t write those emails. Some one else does and sends them out under his name.