Svendsen: Graphic Feminism

femme
Photo by Jessica Svendsen.

• Irony

Chase Olivarius-McAllister: “It became so unpopular amongst conservatives, athletes, and fraternities that weeks could go by before I could read an edition of the YDN that was unblemished by the rot and prose of sexist hysteria.”

Really? Sounds to me like she, and the “feminists” were the hysterical ones.

You’ll find a lot of misogynists among athletes and frat bros, but they don’t write for the YDN. As for the conservatives, they have been feminists’ best allies at Yale.

It’s sublimely ironic how ‘feminists’ claim that women are ‘otherized’ and therefore not given a fair hearing in society, and yet proceed to ‘otherize’ other groups–such as conservatives–themselves.

I had really thought we should be worried about Islamo-fascists oppressing women, and a jock culture that demeans them. But now I’m glad I know our real enemy is those soft-spoken tweed-wearing intellectuals who have a mild and well-articulated disagreement with ‘feminists’ on abortion rights.

• Andy

I have always enjoyed Jessica Svendsen’s work in previous issues of the YDN, and I like this one in theory. Something bugs me about it though- all of these women are in the humanities! Where are all of the social and natural scientists?

• Tanner

I think the reason Jessica chose her “femmists” from the classics is because they fit and have not changed beyond the battles from the ’70’s while today’s femmists are into business, engineering and medicine etc. Some of the most opinionated columnists are both sucessful and conservative, and can probably cook a great meal as well.

• Erm…

@#1–Most conservatives at Yale are nothing like you describe. If we draw a Venn diagram of athletes, frat bros and conservatives, the area of overlap is going to be enormous. “We love Yale sluts” is probably the closest most conservatives at Yale can get to respecting women, it’s sad to say.

If you want conservatives to stop getting a bad rap, then work harder to distance yourselves from misogynistic frat bros who “love America” and for whom date rape is just part of the Saturday night routine of elongating the kill list. I very much like the fiscal conservatives who speak out in favor of women’s rights. But when even Sarah Palin, a woman, blames the victim in rape cases, it’s hard to trust conservatives who claim to be feminists.

• @#3

So true. I bet David Brooks knows his way around a kitchen.

Oh wait, you meant the women. My bad. ‘Cause it’s true, you know, that if women want to have it all, we have to be the ones to do it all. Hey, it’s what we asked for, isn’t it?

• Tanner Mayes

The feminist movement is predicated on the lie that there are no inherent biological, physiological, or psychological differences between the sexes.

• @ #6

Actually, it’s predicated on the belief that despite “biological, physiological, [and] psychological differences,” women and men deserve the same fundamental freedoms to choose how to live their own lives.

(Also, have you ever heard of overlapping distributions? If not let, please let me make it clear: men, on average, are taller than women, on average. All men are not taller than all women. Take this fact, and extend it to all other areas of life.)

• Egalitarian

To #6: It’s not quite so simple. A lot of feminists seem to think that such differences exist when they’re convenient and don’t exist when they’re not. Therefore, they consider it sexist to even consider the possibility that something other than social pressure might be the cause of why more men than women choose to go into ths science. Yet somehow it’s perfectly acceptable to claim that “a wise Latina woman, with the richness of her experience, would more often than not reach a better conclusion than a white male” and a result of “inherent physiological…differences.” These people are hypocrites, plain and simple.

What no one seems to get is that things can correlate with gender for biological reasons without being determined by gender. We know that it works that way with physical traits (e.g. strength vs. flexibility, height, weight, etc.), and it may very well be the same with certain mental and behavioral traits. People of both genders should be free to choose how to live their lives. If it doesn’t correlate with traditional gender roles, that should be fine. If it does, then that should be fine.

• Yale 08

I love faux-diversity.