Rakesh Mohan ’71 has been appointed professor in the practice of international economics and finance at the School of Management and senior fellow in the Jackson Institute for Global Affairs, University President Richard Levin announced on Friday.

The former deputy governor of India’s central bank, Mohan has worked on a number of public policy issues, headed economics research organizations and been a member of various regulatory authorities.

“I have had the good fortune of working on a very wide range of public policy issues during my professional career, including housing and urban development, industrial development, infrastructure, competition policy, national security, fiscal policy and finally monetary policy,” he said in an e-mail Saturday.

In addition to serving as the Reserve Bank of India’s deputy governor from September 2002 to October 2004 and again between June 2005 and July 2009, Mohan has also served as India’s finance secretary and as the director-general of the National Council of Applied Economic Research, among other positions. He has authored three books on urban development and urban economics.

“In all these functions I have essentially acted as a bridge between the world of economic research and policy praxis,” Mohan wrote in the e-mail. “I hope that I can bring to the classroom and other discussion fora in Yale SOM and the Jackson Institute of Global Affairs, some firsthand experience of the world of policy making that may be of benefit to students as they contemplate their future careers.”

Mohan came to Yale in 1969 as a transfer student after earning a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering from the Imperial College of Science and Technology in London. He graduated with a bachelor’s in economics from Yale, where he said he was the only Indian undergraduate at the time, and he went on to earn a master’s and doctorate in economics from Princeton.

Mohan called it a “great honor” to return to Yale as a professor. His appointment begins July 1.