Nursing School applications fall 6 percent

The number of applications to the Yale School of Nursing’s largest master’s program fell 6 percent for the 2010-’11 academic year, Director of Admissions Angela Kühne said Wednesday.

The Graduate Entry Pre-Specialty in Nursing program, which offers a master’s degree to students with no previous nursing education, received 352 applications for a class of about 110 to 115 students this admissions season, a drop from the yearly average of 375, Kühne said. Kühne and School of Nursing Dean Margaret Grey attributed the drop in applications to the school’s elimination of its spring application deadline and to the recession causing fewer people to make a career switch into nursing.

“[In the recession,] fewer people are interested in moving cross country for a program like this,” Kühne said.

Because there are fewer nursing positions available in the recession, applicants to the Graduate Entry Pre-Specialty in Nursing program — who already hold bachelor’s degrees in other fields — may not want to pursue a second career with most nursing jobs already filled, Grey said. By eliminating the spring application deadline, no applicants were rolled over to the fall, which also caused the number of applications to drop, Kühne said.

“In the past, people in the spring who weren’t accepted were rolled over to the fall,” Kühne said. “This is the first year without rollover, so there are fewer folders than last year.”

While the number of applications to the Graduate Entry Pre-Specialty in Nursing program has fallen this year, Kühne said the school’s total admissions rate should remain steady at about 37 percent. Kühne added that she did not expect the yield rate of about 55 to 60 percent to change.

Applications to the Academic Master’s in Nursing program — intended for students with a nursing background — stayed level at 75 applications, she added.

Neither Kühne nor Grey said they expected a change in financial aid.

The Yale School of Nursing ranked seventh in the most recent U.S. News & World Report survey of American nursing schools.

• ’98

Hard to credit the various explanations offered for the decline in applications. Numbers were up elsewhere this year – 26% at Penn, for example.

• northeastbaby

Dean Grey is delusional. I am a YSN alum. People are not applying because you do not earn two degrees in the three year succession @YSN as you do at U Penn, Gtwon,UVA, UCLA, Hopkins and every other credible competitor. Lets face it now that the SL scandal broke people want the most for their money if they are going through one forced lender to finance edu. (As YSN forces). Why be a slave to student loans for the rest of your life for one degree when you can get two degrees at another Ivy league for the same cost and same level of credit slavery? As in second BSN and master degree- not just a master degree for same time -same money. Hospitals are heavily regulated at the State level. Most of the jobs inclusive of advance practice jobs exist in hospitals. States require hospitals to report the nurse hirees level of edu when credentialing annually. Most state accreditation standards require a BSN- Bachelor of Science in Nursing at minimum for the bedside care job at Hospitals(not including SNF or assited living facilities). Majority of jobs available even for MSN grads is bedside care. The structure of YSN program sucks. Yale University BOD seem to diffuse the idea of allowing YSN to incorporate BSN degree as part of the program or at the UNI- perhaps RNs r too prole for Yale? Prior to women being accepted to the Yale undergraduate college the only degree that existed for women on the campus of Yale was a Bachelor in Nursing- in fact one of the first in our country if you read the history of the University. The program was shut down on main campus and the nursing school reopened in the late 70′s early 80′s as a master only program off main campus and has not changed its format since.Today if a young person wants to invest in an IVY degree they want what the job market will honor. If grads form other insitutions say- “Yale takes the desperate students who r rejected from the top school-YSN witholds the bachelor degree- YSN wants the extra money for the master degree.” general consnsus not good.I was a marketing major in undergrad-I went to the most COSMETIC School in the USA if not the world for undergrad in Manhattan. Bottom line grey u kooker- graduates form other schools have better credentials and MORE credentials.Unless the program adds some extras or just gets completely competetive with the rest of the programs around the USA- people are going to flock to UVA and UCLA before Yale- and even transfer out- thats sad for such an old name. if the student does the work, earn the license I want the degree equivalent to that work that I earned……..Dean Grey needs to stop touring TV sets in west LA w pres Levin during fall semesters and start looking at YSN- she is a flake. Stripping at Spearmeint Rhino gives a better return to the world than Yale School of Nursing. UPenn,UVA and UCLA grads get the real case management jobs…they get the real verifiable edu.