M. HOCKEY | Yale wins ECAC championship

Center Mark Arcobello ’10 fights for the puck during Yale’s 5–4 overtime win over Clarkson on Feb. 20 at Ingalls Rink.
Center Mark Arcobello ’10 fights for the puck during Yale’s 5–4 overtime win over Clarkson on Feb. 20 at Ingalls Rink. Photo by R.J. Rico.

For the second consecutive year, the men’s hockey team has clinched the ECAC regular season title.

The No. 5 Bulldogs had another big comeback Friday night at Princeton, as they overcame a 4–1 deficit in the second period and went on to win 7–4.

Right winger Sean Backman ’10 scored the Elis’ first two goals and had an assist on the night. Left winger Antoine Laganeire ’13 also scored twice.

Yale entered the third period tied 4–4 with the Tigers, but right winger Broc Little ’11 scored 10 seconds into the frame for what became the game winner. Little is now tied for the nation’s lead in goals with 25.

Bulldog goaltender Nick Maricic ’13 let in three goals during the first period but only one after that. He had 23 saves, coming off of 27 shots

This is the third time in Yale’s history that the Bulldogs have won the ECAC regular season title. Last season, the Elis clinched the title with a win over Cornell at Ingalls Rink.

Yale plays at Quinnipiac on Saturday night at 7:30.

• y10

This hockey team is literally the only part of Yale that makes me happy any more. Thanks for another great year of hard work, guys.

• YPMB 2011

I’m so pumped for playoffs. Every men’s game I’ve been to these season has been the highlight of the weekend. When these guys play their best, they are incredible.

• @y10

I’m a senior too and couldn’t have said it better myself. Looking forward to playoffs!