TRACK | Crimson, Tigers too much for Elis

The men’s and women’s track and field teams each suffered a third-place finishes to Princeton and Harvard in Saturday’s annual H-Y-P tri-meet of the ancient Ivy foes.

Princeton won the men’s competition with 105 points, and Harvard took second with 48. The Bulldogs’ 27 points put them in third. The results followed a similar pattern on the women’s side: The Tigers racked up 90.50 points on their home turf to record the win, the Crimson tallied 47.50 points for second, and the Elis trailed in third with a 21-point score.

Distance runner Peter Vizcarrondo ’11 finished ninth in the men’s one-mile run with a time of 4:30.71.
David Demres

Men’s Highlights

While the Bulldogs were unable to string together enough points for a win, individual athletes still posted strong performances.

“Overall we didn’t perform as well as we could have,” sprinter Marty Evans ’11 said. “We’re a much better team than the score reflected. However, the meet did have many highlights that should not be overlooked.”

David Smith ’11 earned fifth place in the shot put with a 15.40-meter hurl — a new personal best, while Mike Levine’s ’13 16.63-meter mark gave him the same spot in the weight throw. Yifan Chen ’12 notched second in the triple jump (13.26), teammate Reynolds Holmes ’10 finished second in long jump (6.76), and Eric DePalo ’10 notched a personal record for the season in the pole vault with a fifth-place, 4.50-meter leap.

Yale had strong showings in distance events from Chris Labosky ’10, who jumped up 200 meters from his normal half-mile race to win the 1,000-meter run in 2:30.08. Jeff Perrella ’11 captured third in the mile with a time of 4:16.61, while teammate Kevin Brown ’10 trailed by less than three seconds and took sixth. The Elis also collected a pair of fifth-place finishes from Chris Ramsey ’13 in the 800 (1:56.71) and Max Walden ’11 in the 3,000-meter run (8:34.05).

In shorter events, David Soiles ’10 won the 500-meter dash (1:05.38), while Evans and Matt Bieszard ’12 went two and three in the 400.

“When Dave Soiles came from behind to win the 500 at the line, he showed the heart and competitiveness we all were able to rally behind,” Evans said.

The team of Ted Galligan ’10, Soiles, Evans and Bieszard posted a 3:21.18 time in the 4×400-meter relay to clinch second.

Women’s Highlights

Middle-distance runner Kate Grace ’11 accounted for nearly half of the Elis’ points on Saturday, as the junior won the mile with a season-best of 4:54.61, before running 2:14.95 to win the 800-meter run, as well.

“Kate Grace really came through for us, pulling off the double wins in the mile and the 800,” distance-runner Alexandra Cadicamo ’10 said.

Grace has never run that double before, but she said she at least had an hour between the two races to rest and prepare.

“It was a very exciting meet,” Grace said. “I wasn’t sure how I was going to do. It’s kind of a great feeling to pull it off and feel strong enough to do well in both events.”

Annalies Gamble ’13 followed Grace to take third in the 800 (2:16.31). In the 200-meter run, Claudia Duncan ’10 finished second (25.85), while Adele Jackson-Gibson ’13 (26.28) won her heat and placed fifth overall. Duncan also notched third in the 400-meter run, with a time of 57.45. Cadicamo ran a personal best in the 3,000-meter run, taking fourth place in 9:48.52.

On the field, Emily Standish ’11 topped 1.65 meters in the high jump, and Jenna Poggi ’13 cleared 3.45 meters in pole vault to record her best attempt this season.

Both the men’s and women’s squads compete next in the Heptagonal Championships, which will take place in Hanover, N.H., on Feb. 27 and 28.

• SPEEDY V!

SPEEDY V WILL COUNT HIS LAPS FOR YOU!

• track alum

Something has to be done. The program is turning into a disgrace. The athletic department has to see what is happening and make changes. There is just so little talent on these teams, and for the most part nobody gets better.

We should not be getting crushed by harvard

• tiger

According to Chinese calendar this is year of Tiger. Bulldogs have to wait for year of Dog in 2018!

• Student

Yale needs to recruit some great track runners for next year!

• track alum 2

It’s impossible for the team to be competitive in the league when you can only bring in 10 guys each year. That’s not enough to fill every event.

• Time for a change

We need new coaches. Coaches who will make people better, and recruit people that can get better.