Leah Libresco ’11, a math and political science double major in Jonathan Edwards College, appeared on tonight’s episode of Jeopardy!, the popular television quiz show. Libresco, a staff columnist for the News, was a contestant for the popular program’s College Championship week.

Although she moved on to the semifinal round of the tournament, Libresco was not the night’s biggest winner. That title went to a student from the University of Missouri, who ended up with $22,100, while Libresco came second with $21,000. She said she is slated to appear in another episode of the show next Tuesday, when viewers will see her vie for a spot in the final round, but she is not allowed to disclose the results before then.

But Libresco’s $21,000 win only represents a score, she said after a viewing party held at the Jonathan Edwards buttery; as a semi-finalist, she is guaranteed at least $10,000. Out of 15 quarterfinalists who have played throughout the week, only five winners are guaranteed a spot in the semi-finals. The four runner-ups with the biggest scores — dubbed “wild cards”— are added to this round. Out of all four wild cards, Libresco said she scored the highest.

Students who attended the viewing party described Libresco as a loyal, enthusiastic friend with very eclectic interests, including politics, glass blowing and Harry Potter.

Read more about Libresco’s Jeopardy! appearance in Monday’s News.

(Photos by Eva Galvan/Photography Editor)