Letter: Keep the crossword

Re: N.Y. Times may leave dining halls (Jan. 27): Many days are marked with a flurry of text messages between several Morse College seniors before lunch. Not about where, or when — Stiles is our staging ground and we trickle in around 12:30 — but about where we can find The New York Times. I’m not writing to complain about the poor distribution of the newspaper, but to emphasize the social aspects of a certain element of the publication: the crossword.

For the last three years, my friends and I have gathered to make a stab at the Times crossword puzzle. We’re not the anagram type, nor puzzle geeks— though we did swoon when Will Shortz came to a Master’s Tea last year and read Rex Parker’s blog for a laugh — but we do the puzzle everyday (except Fridays, when we tend to throw up our hands).

This activity has been one of the most important during my time at Yale, even providing continuity when we found ourselves in Swing Space this year. I remember remarking remorsefully to my mother that I would have to buy an online subscription when I graduated. Maybe I will have to soon anyway, and if we pool our funds it will not be a huge sacrifice for us to pay for it, but without the paper itself, my friends and I will be losing the key element of our group activity.

I’m not here to argue about the Yale bubble, or the death of print journalism or even how crossword puzzles have been linked to mental acuity. This is a visceral and probably foolish plea, wrought of the nostalgia and lack of pragmatism of a second-semester senior: Don’t take our puzzle away.

Sarah Dewey

Jan. 28

The writer is a senior in Morse College.

• annelook

My second comment on this issue. I travel a lot. It turns out that we can get the crossword on line if we are subscribers (even if only a weekend subscriber). At home, one of us prints it out so that we can all do it. Your at Yale. Someone should be able to get this organized.

I love the print paper. It’s not always convenient. Your ingenuity will help you find a way to maintain your social time solving the puzzle with your friends. You’ll just have to get a little more organized.

• FailBoat

For me, many days are marked with a flurry of text messages among many of my friends to see how we can seduce as many girls as possible before the night is over.

This hardly makes it Yale’s responsibility to supply me with slightly-drunk coeds willing to put out.

Your letter does, however, make a great case for individual seniors (or groups of seniors!) buying a subscription. If it’s that important, shell out the cash yourself. Don’t expect my tuition to subsidize your cruciverbalist fetish.

• Goldie ’08

So Yale should pay so you and your friends can do the crossword during lecture?

The YDN should just buy the NYT crossword through syndication

• Really?

Seriously? I don’t think Pierson students need $1,000 in Taco Bell or that Silliman students need their own movie theater, but I recognize that Yale’s money funds things that will only benefit some. If Yale limited spending to things that only benefit everyone, all we would get is food in Commons. Be real, Yale spends money on all sorts of random things – in fact, the NYT is one of the most widely and equally accessible resources on campus. If we can spend on personalized water bottles, can’t we spend on knowledge?