These times demand the Times. Charlie Jaeger ’12 started a Facebook group Wednesday urging the administration to continue providing The New York Times for free on campus. As of press time, the group had 336 members.

Bittersweet desserts were served during Wednesday night’s Slifka Center study break. The suggested $5 donations will support Haiti relief.

Soles4Souls and Yale’s own community service group Girls Run are also teaming up to get Haitians back on their feet. The jointly-run shoe drive will last until Feb. 13, with collection boxes for gently worn sneakers outside dining halls, in Dwight Hall and, of course, at Payne Whitney.

The Saybrook dining hall’s expired Lactaid milk was still on the shelf Wednesday. Questioned about the five-days-too-old carton for the second day, the dining hall manager removed the spoiled beverage, saying a staff member had forgotten to replace the carton.

But at least breakfast fans were happy. The residential colleges served breakfast for dinner Wednesday night. Students were encouraged to “throw on your favorite robe and PJs and come on down” by Yale Dining’s Web site.

Jaywalkers beware. Two Yale police officers patrolled the stretch of Elm Street outside Durfee’s on Wednesday, cautioning rogue students against busting out of crosswalks. Most pedestrians remained undeterred.

Climate change goes cold — in public opinion, at least. A poll released by Yale and George Mason University revealed that the percentage of Americans concerned about global warming has fallen to just 50 percent.

Bulldog seeking trendy headware? Handsome Dan’s caretaker “desperately needs” a German Tyrolean hat for one day, Timothy Dwight Master Robert Thompson said in a college-wide e-mail Wednesday. But one question remains: Will the hat be donned by the pet or his owner?

Yale.edu is the 10th-most visited college Web site in the world, according to rankings released last week by 4icu.org, an online directory of four-year institutions.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1878 The first issue of this newspaper, then titled the “Yale News” and released anonymously, was published. Its first headline read: “The innovation which we begin by this morning’s issue is justified by the dullness of the times, and by the demand for news among us.”

Correction: Jan. 28, 2010

An earlier version of this article misstated the class year of Charlie Jaeger ’12.

YALE DAILY NEWS