Clark pleads not guilty

Raymond Clark III seen exiting the New Haven Superior Court in September.
Raymond Clark III seen exiting the New Haven Superior Court in September. Photo by Egidio DiBenedetto.

Raymond Clark III, the Yale lab technician accused of murdering Annie Le GRD ’13, appeared in New Haven Superior Court this morning, waived his right to a probable cause hearing and pleaded not guilty to charges of murder and felony murder.

The felony murder charge was new Tuesday. It means that, if a jury concludes Le’s death was unintentional, the prosecution can still get a conviction if it shows that Clark killed her in the course of another major crime, such as kidnapping, robbery or rape.

The prosecution has not presented any likely motive.

Clark spoke only a few words at the 10-minute hearing. He confirmed that he voluntarily chose to follow his lawyers’ advice in skipping the probable cause hearing, in which state prosecutors would have to prove they have enough evidence to charge him.

Also during the hearing, the defense motioned to release the vehicle of Clark’s mother, which was seized for evidence during the police investigation. Judge Roland Fasano agreed to the request but also granted the prosecution the right to use the car for secondary evidence should Clark’s case go to trial.

The seal on the remaining search and seizure warrants that have not yet been released to the public will remain in effect until the next pre-trial hearing scheduled for Wednesday, March 3, at 2 p.m.

• hmm

so it there any legit solid evidence against this guy?

• sigh and sigh

Felony murder charge? Are you kidding me? Have they forgotten the piece of evidence that to me says this whole case was premeditated murder? You know the text message. Please… someone tell me how the COD in this case could make the murder “unintentional.” The things that happen in a court room always amaze me because it seems there is a never ending list of ways for cold blooded killers to get convicted of a lesser charge than what they truely did.

Anyway, I am just confused in this case now. What happens next? If there is no probable cause hearing then what now?

• ’10

a google search reveals that there is plenty, blood and dna included.

• @#1

Are you a moron?

A- There have been articles that answer the very question you just asked.
    B- No way the defense attorney would have recommended waiving the probable cause hearing if there was a chance there wasn’t enough evidence to prosecute him.

• Sad

Clark is going to get off and the case is unsolved. Sounds familiar? That was what happened in Jovin’s case. Poor Annie.

• carl

My theory is that are adding the felony charge to allow a potential jury to convict on a “lesser” charge with similar jail time. Plenty of high profile defendants have gotten off because they prosecutors put all their eggs in one basket with a severe charge that the jury decides they were not guilty of.

The question is, what is the felony their speaking of? I suspect kidnapping. I hope I am wrong, but fear that Clark beat Le unconscious, thought she was dead, panicked and sealed her in the wall where she then suffocated to death. Thus kidnapping is the felony, and her murder was not premeditated. It was make Clark that much more cruel and Annie’s murder that much more brutal, however.

Annie was an amazing young woman who had unlimited potential, both personal and professional. Her murder was completely senseless and brutal.

Here is a nice tribute.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VG2_NI-vZDo

• YC07

#5,

No one has actually been charged in Jovin’s case. There’s the difference. You may convict Prof Van de Velde in your court of opinion, but many more believe he was wrongly accused.