In an e-mail to Mory’s members, Board of Governors President Christopher Getman ’64 announced today that the club has raised over $2.5 million dollars in donations from about 2,900 alumni, and that major construction on the building on York Street is under way.

Read the full letter below, and click here to read more about the renovations.

January 22, 2010

To: All Members of the Mory’s Community

From: Chris Getman, President

It’s a go! Construction is going to begin in earnest next week. We have already poured the footings for the Temple Bar! We hope to open by late summer.

This exciting outcome is the result of many forces working together toward the common goal of creating a new, vibrant and welcoming Club. First and foremost it is testimony to the commitment of over 2,900 alums who recognized what an important part of Yale life Mory’s truly is. They stepped up generously to the tune of over $2.5 million, and we anticipate that there’s more where that came from. (check our website, www.morysclub.org to see what items have been spoken for and what remains).

The University has been a great partner in this endeavor by offering reunion credit for gifts made before December 31, 2009 it gave credibility to the effort. We are grateful to Bruce Alexander, his team, and the officers of the University for their support and guidance over the last ten months.

Tom McCance’s vision in creating the Friends of Mory’s, not only energized our supporters; it was literally responsible for our being able to keep the lights on as we were mustering our campaign.

Mory’s Preservation, Inc. (MPI), our 501(c)3, under the guidance of Professor Douglas Rae, proved to be the absolutely correct vehicle into which to channel construction gifts, and we’re confident that you’ll be pleased with the end results of MPI.

Our architects, Gregg, Weis and Gardner were steadfast and sensitive to the complex needs of our unique Club, and working with board member, Melanie Ginter, they have crafted a design which is both exciting and practical. The long standing ambience of the clubhouse will be preserved, but it will be brighter and more accommodating.

Of course, none of the above would have been possible without the diligence of our General Manager (and only employee), Robin Soltesz and her consultant sidekick, Christin “Slapshot” Sandweiss who ruthlessly forced us to keep our eyes on the ball.

There are many more players “to be named later” who played key roles in making this happen. More on them as we progress. Suffice it to say, this was a huge team effort.

In the meantime, stay tuned and be prepared for a fun and exciting experience come July.

Thanks and warm regards. Mory’s matters!