The women’s basketball team won its first road game in over a month Saturday. The Bulldogs (5–8), whose win came in the fifth game of a seven-game road trip, also snapped a five-game losing streak by defeating the New Jersey Institute of Technology Highlanders, 68–58, in Newark, N.J.

The Bulldogs held the Highlanders to 34 percent shooting and out-rebounded them 48–30. The Elis have held opponents to under 60 points in all five of their wins this season.

“It was a big win after all the losses,” guard Megan Vasquez ’13 said. “Everyone played well.”

Forward Mady Gobrecht ’11 led all players with 16 points on 5-for-8 shooting and was six-for-six from the free throw line. She added six rebounds and six blocks. Forward Melissa Colborne ’10 contributed 13 points on 5-for-6 shooting, while guard Megan Vasquez ’13 netted 12 points.

The game was Vasquez’s seventh straight with double figures in points.

“I’m not trying to do anything differently,” Vasquez said, referring to her recent scoring spree. “I’m just trying to learn how to play Bulldog basketball, as coach says.”

Forward Haywood Wright ’10 garnered 10 rebounds, while guard Allie Messimer ’13 hit three three-pointers.

On Jan. 4, Yale nearly upset Colorado at the Coors Event Center in Boulder, Colo. The Bulldogs jumped out to a 7–0 lead and nursed a 34–33 lead at halftime before ultimately falling to the Buffaloes, 78–71.

Despite falling to their second-straight Big 12 team, the Elis derived some confidence from close games against to basketball teams from a superior conference, head coach Chris Gobrecht (who is Mady Gobrecht’s mother) said.

Forward Michelle Cashen ’12 led Yale with 18 points on 9-for-10 shooting and 11 rebounds, her third double-double of the season. Mady Gobrecht added 14 points, while Vasquez chipped in 10. The Bulldogs outrebounded the Buffaloes 45–35, with forward and captain Ashley Carter ’10 hauling in nine.

“I think we’ve been a pretty good basketball team since break,” Gobrecht, the coach, said. “We’re getting better every time out, which you’d expect from a team that relies on freshmen.”

Eli rookies have accounted for nearly a third of Yale’s points this season. However, as Messimer noted, in tougher games the team looks to its veterans, particularly its captain, to come through in the clutch.

After the Bulldogs defeated Boston University, 61–57, at home on Dec. 9, the Elis lost to UC Davis, 60–55, at the John J. Lee Amphitheater before starting off their road trip with losses to Quinnipiac, Sacred Heart, Kansas State and Colorado.

The Bulldogs will only have played one home game between Dec. 20 and Feb. 5, as Chris Gobrecht noted.

“Through all these road games, we’re trying to develop toughness and togetherness, two things you need to win the Ivy League,” she said.

The Bulldogs will finish the remainder of their season without guard Aarica West ’13, forward Lindsey Williams ’11, or guard Brianna Segerson ’12, all of whom are injured.

“It’s a huge loss, but we’ve been able to adjust,” coach Gobrecht said. “We’d love to have them, but we’re moving on.”

The Elis begin Ivy League play this Friday at Brown in the second-to-last game of their road trip. As Gobrecht said, the team hopes to build on its improvements over the break.

“We want to win the Ivy League,” Messimer said. “We’re focused on playing our best basketball.”