Professor emeritus of anthropology Harold Conklin GRD ’55 was rushed to Yale-New Haven Hospital after falling and gashing his forehead on Beinecke Plaza around 1 p.m. Monday. A paramedic on the scene said Conklin would need stitches. Conklin’s injury came less than a week after Sterling professor Donald Kagan was hospitalized after falling down a staircase in William L. Harkness Hall.

The renovation of the Prospect Street Bridge is almost complete, with the bridge’s structure expected to be ready by Christmas, said Roy Oemcke, a supervisor at the site. The bridge, however, will not reopen until traffic signals and utilities are installed and inspected.

For the first time in more than a decade, a group of bandits successfully made off with an ice sculpture from the Freshman Holiday Dinner Saturday night. The feat is usually associated with the men’s lightweight crew team, but so far no one has stepped forward to claim responsibility.

Students running a campaign for the federal Employment Non-Discrimination Act discovered Tuesday that signs posted on Cross Campus had been defaced with anti-gay messages. Amalia Skilton ’13, a campaign director, said the act shows a “lack of respect for freedom of expression at Yale.”

ABC News will shadow former British Prime Minister Tony Blair on campus Thursday as Blair teaches his “Faith and Globalization” seminar and speaks in Battell Chapel.

Tweeting daisies. According to her Twitter account, Martha Stewart was on campus Saturday to see the exhibit “Mrs. Delany and Her Circle,” a collection of the work of botanical artist Mary Delany on display at the Yale Center for British Art. “have you seen it?” the talk show host wrote.

PepsiCo announced Tuesday it will open a research lab in New Haven to develop healthier products. The company will also fund a graduate fellowship for nutrition research at the School of Medicine. PepsiCo CEO Indra Nooyi SOM ’80 is a fellow of the Yale Corporation.

A man was shot in the head early Sunday morning and discovered near campus on Elm Street. He later died of his wounds at an area hospital. Police have yet to make an arrest. It was New Haven’s 12th homicide this year and the second since Thanksgiving.

This day in Yale history

1968 A report from the University Treasurer reveals that although Yale’s endowment had almost hit the $600 million mark, the University had incurred a budget deficit of $590,209 in the previous fiscal year.