The show must go on. Fire trucks and a Yale Police car arrived at the University Theatre at 8 p.m. Monday night after the stage crew for the musical “Carousel” suspected an electrical fire. “Work lights browned out, and there was a strong, rubbery, chemical smell,” said Rorie Fitzsimons, the senior technical director for the Office of Undergraduate Productions. The crew evacuated the building and called 911, but firefighters determined the smell — though weird — was a false alarm.

The Yale University Press isn’t shying away from controversy, even after drawing criticism over Jytte Klausen’s “The Cartoons That Shook the World.” A new book by French philosopher Emmanuel Faye, titled “Heidegger: The Introduction of Nazism Into Philosophy,” argues that professors must treat the work of Martin Heidegger — which has influenced fields including existentialism, political theory and postmodernism — as hate speech because it is contaminated by Heidegger’s Nazi ideology.

Women and war. Women’s Health Research at Yale will follow 20 to 30 male and female soldiers for a year and monitor them for anxiety, drug and nicotine use, as well as signs of post-traumatic stress disorder, to determine whether women soldiers have more trouble adjusting to postwar life than men.

More bang for your buck. Financial and business Web site Kiplinger.com ranked Yale third in its 2009-’10 list of the 50 best values for a private university education in the United States, behind the California Institute of Technology and Princeton. Rice University was the fourth best value in the list, which ranks universities based on academic quality and affordability. Harvard rounded out the top five.

Making the cut. Dartmouth College administrators are looking to cut $100 million from the budget over the next two years, the student newspaper reported Monday. Administrators expect to lay off more employees and will examine Dartmouth’s financial aid policy in search of places where budget reductions can be made.

Despite Wednesday’s 63 degree weather, Chapel Street light poles are now bedecked with snowflakes in anticipation of the holiday season — which, judging by the Yale Bookstore, started just before Halloween.

This day in Yale history

1968 Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company played two shows at Woolsey Hall. Students, dancing in the aisles and on the stage, kissed Janis Joplin, who the News reported was “the sexiest, earthiest performer Woolsey has seen in many years.”