SOM first in hiring

Of American graduate business schools, the Yale School of Management has placed the highest percentage of its graduates in jobs, despite the recession, according to a report published in BusinessWeek magazine last week.

The report is based on data released each fall that describe the percentage of graduates placed in a job within three months of graduation. Ninety-two percent of the SOM class of 2009 found a job in that time frame, falling only slightly from 98 percent in 2008. By this measure, Yale bested schools that traditionally place higher in BusinessWeek’s annual rankings of “The Best U.S. Business Schools,” including the University of Chicago’s Booth School of Business, Harvard Business School and Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management. And signing bonuses for SOM graduates opposed industry trends, increasing by 15 percentage points over 2008 levels.

The Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania, ranked fourth in BusinessWeek’s report, was one of the hardest hit schools, and ranked 23rd in job placement, according to BusinessWeek. Wharton has a strong tradition of placement in finance jobs, the article said, which is likely a fundamental reason for its plunge in job placement. With the collapse of the financial services industry in particular, these recruiters have been hiring fewer students across the board, according to an article last spring in the Wall Street Journal.

Twenty-one percent of 2009 Wharton graduates did not have jobs three months after their commencement, a steep increase from 3.9 percent in 2007. The BusinessWeek article noted that Yale graduates “emerged almost shockingly unscathed by the financial turmoil” but did not comment on the reasons for this relative success.”

Nearly half of Wharton MBA graduates went into finance in 2008, compared to only 36 percent of Yale SOM graduates.

Instead of finance, SOM places greater emphasis on less traditional career paths. The SOM may have a comparative advantage over peer schools in such fields, including the environmental, non-profit and governmental sectors, Ivan Kerbel ’96, director of the SOM Career Development Office, said.

“I’ve been impressed by SOM students’ very broad range of abilities and interests, and by the ability of the MBA program to deliver an education that incorporates not only the ‘hard skills’ needed by business managers but also a greater quotient of the policy, regulatory, and environmental and social impact dimensions of modern business,” Kerbel said in an e-mail.

But Kerbel attributed the success of SOM graduates to a variety of factors, including “alternative recruiting methods,” such as webcast interviews between students and prospective employers and career workshops led by employers in specialized fields. He said SOM Dean Sharon Oster’s “direct appeal” to alumni was effective, citing the over 60 responses. Some alumni even responded with information about job openings at their organizations, he said.

Still, SOM continues to lag behind peer schools in overall rankings. In the 2008 annual report of business schools compiled by BusinessWeek, SOM ranked 24th, while the business schools of the University of Chicago, Harvard, Northwestern and the University of Pennsylvania comprised the top four. And the 2009 median starting salary ($96,000) for SOM graduates remains below those of graduates from each of these schools, all of which are at or above $100,000.

Nevertheless, SOM students said they remain optimistic about finding a job. Leandro Margulis SOM ’10 said he has successfully secured multiple interviews, in contrast with last year’s graduating class, which he said he observed to have struggled to obtain interviews.

“Last year there was a lot of uncertainty,” he said. “[Employers] were interviewing but not necessarily hiring. This year they know they have to hire because they didn’t hire enough last year. So it’s an encouraging picture.”

Some second-year students already have offers from employers at successful summer internships, they said. But internships do not guarantee job placement, Antonina Tarassiouk SOM ’11 said, explaining that some students must now begin building new connections with other organizations.

Kerbel said the class of 2010 had 100 percent internship placement last summer.

And students in the first-year class at the School of Management are already thinking about getting internships for this coming summer, Tarassiouk said.

“[Advisers and faculty members] make you think of jobs from the first day,” she said. “Since orientation, actually.”

First year students begin interviewing for summer internships in January, and the process continues through May.

• Anon

The graph “Job Offers after Graduation” that accompanies this article would be clearer if there was some sort of number scale on the left side.

• Bud Fox

The overall rank of 24th is still embarrassing. We have the money, we have the faculty, why can’t we have a top ranked business school? Maybe we need to fly another banner over the bowl this year to bring attention to what a joke SOM is in the Business world. Oh right, we don’t care about business…

• The Contrarian

I can’t comment on the rankings, but SOM was set up not to produce money-grubbers in the Harvard style. Surely the leader of any not-for-profit has entirely different priorities than maximizing shareholder value at the expense of everything and everyone else.

• James T. Madison

To The Contrarian -

If the Harvard Business School style actually produced a consistent troop of money-grubbers dedicated to maximizing shareholder value, that schoold would be a brilliant success and a huge and virtually unalloyed social and economic positive. But perhaps the biggest failure of the “Harvard style” is that it produces far too many graduates who are dedicated to maximizing the value paid to a rather select set of managers – THEMSELVES – at the expense of shareholders!

I am not arguing that SOM has solved this problem. And I am not saying that HBS is not a net positive. But the “liabilities” that have to be subtracted from the “assets” to reach that net positive are very large indeed.

• anon

Most of the other rankings put SOM higher, with most in the top 10 nationally. Look at the WSJ or US News and World Reports rankings. Only BusinessWeek has SOM that low.

• Anon

To Bud Fox:

In fairness to SOM, I should point out that every other publication that rates business schools gives SOM a much higher ranking than Businessweek:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yale_school_of_management#Admissions_and_rankings

• Anon

SOM is 10th in the much more closely followed US news ranking.

• Bud Fox

The Business Week ranking is the only ranking that matters. US News is fine and dandy if you are looking at undergraduate rankings ( but they also listed Old Nassau as having a top ranked Bschool in the late 80′s) and the WSJ is a ranking of Bschools by recruiters and HR types who dig the social awareness and the other feel good stuff they force feed students.

Business professionals see past the Yale name, the school needs to rise to the occasion on its own merit. It can, the administration needs to (and maybe Oster knows this but Jpod didn’t) admit to themselves that the rankings matter.

• Yale 08

@Bud Fox,

You are 100% wrong. Wow.

BusinessWeek is the biggest JOKE of a business publication. It is hilariously bad. No one pays any attention to their ridiculous rankings.

Look at job placement and you see where SOM ranks. They aren’t M7 yet, but we place plenty of people at the banks and consulting firms, as well as a variety of PE shops and alternative employers (non-profits, start-ups, etc.)

• Bud Fox

The publication itself may not be what it once was but their list still hold sway. I know this, I know you know this, and everyone else who matters knows this. Your focus ( and Oster’s) on a single metric is your way of compensating for the reality that SOM was not in the top 5, top 10, or even in the top 20, but 24th!

SOM needs to lose its blase attitude toward rankings, tone down its aspiration of being the anti-business school, and become truly worthy of its heritage.

• yale 08

Bud Fox,

You are clueless.

Job placement is all that matters. Yale does fine.

grow up

• Bud Fox

Exactly, job placement is all that matters, but I would argue that the QUALITY of the jobs matter more than the quantity. The CDO may have been successful in getting the 09’ers jobs, but kind of jobs are they getting? Back office?