3:30 p.m.: It is currently minutes away from kickoff. Both Handsome Dan and the YPMB have made the trip down to see if the Bulldogs can continue their two-game win streak on this gloomy Philadelphia afternoon.

3:36 p.m.: The Bulldogs seemed to have great field position after Chris Smith ’13 returned the opening kickoff to the 50-yard line, but a flag for an illegal block moved the Elis back to their 15-yard line.

3:43 p.m.: With 1st and 10 on the Yale 37 yard-line, quarterback Brook Hart ’11 handed off to running back Rodney Reynolds ’10, who then threw a backwards pass to Hart. Looking to pass, Hart did not find any open receivers and instead ran the ball for three yards.

3:45 p.m.: Two plays later, Hart ran the ball to much better results as he moved the ball 20 yards to the Penn 40-yard line.

3:47 p.m.: It had the distance, but it was wide. Kicker Tom Mante ’10 almost tied his personal record (and the Ivy League’s) with a 54-yard field goal attempt that went wide right.

3:50 p.m.: It seems Yale isn’t the only team that likes to try trick plays. On Penn’s first touch of the game, the Quakers tried a flea-flicker play. The long throw went to a receiver in triple coverage and fell incomplete.

3:55 p.m.: After a series of first downs thanks to running plays, the Quakers have taken the early lead 3-0 after a 35-yard field goal. Penn’s drive was nine plays, 45 yards long.

4:01 p.m.: That was not the way the Bulldogs were supposed to respond. After a sack and a penalty forced Yale into a 3rd-and-23 situation, Penn intercepted Hart’s pass and returned it 15 yards for a touchdown. The snap on the point after touchdown was botched, so Yale is losing 9-0.

4:11 p.m.: Just as the second quarter starts so too does heavy rain. The field was already wet after some early morning showers, but now let’s see how the teams deal with the rain. We’re not likely to see any more 54-yard field goal tries in these conditions.

4:26 p.m.: After both offenses had impressive showings on their respective first drives, the rest of the game has shaped into a defensive struggle. The Quakers has just punted the ball to Yale after their third consecutive three-and-out of the game. About six minutes remain in the half, with Penn winning 9-0. The rain has now stopped.

4:46 p.m.: The Bulldogs should be happy they are only losing by nine. With under a minute left, the Quakers drove the ball down the field, but saw the clock expire before the Quakers could spike the ball and then go for a mid-range field goal.

5:17 p.m.: With the second half underway and with the Quakers pressuring with first down on the Yale 25-yard line, the Bulldogs responded with two consecutive tackles for losses, followed by an interception by linebacker Max Newton ’10 after a deflection. Eight minutes remain in the third quarter.

5:29 p.m.: Once again, right when the Quakers were close to entering the red zone, the Bulldogs were able to force a turnover. This time, it came on a fumble by Penn running back Lyle Marsh. Although Yale once again came up big under pressure, the defense seems to be tiring from the relentless Quaker running game. Two minutes remain in the third quarter.

5:36 p.m.: On the second-to-last play of the quarter, Penn quarterback Kyle Olson aired it out to wide receiver Matt Tuten, who made a 41-yard diving catch on the Yale 36-yard line.

5:41 p.m.: The Penn offense just cannot seem to finish the job. With the ball on Yale’s 27-yard line, the Quakers chose to go for it on 4th-and-1 but were stopped by the Bulldogs with 13 minutes left in the fourth quarter.

5:43 p.m.: It’s not looking good for the Bulldogs. After two nice completions to Smith and H-back John Sheffield ’10, Hart was intercepted on a pass to a receiver who was in double coverage. The Quakers now has the ball on their 22-yard line with 12:02 left in the game.

5:49 p.m.: The Bulldogs have a chance to capitalize on good field position after linebacker Jordan Haynes ’12 blocked the Quakers’ punt.

5:51 p.m.: The Bulldogs have changed their quarterback from Hart to Patrick Witt ’12, and so far it is working. Witt threw a 17-yard completion to wide receiver Peter Balsam ’11. A personal foul penalty on Penn moved the ball up to the Penn 12 yard-line.

5:55 p.m.: The drive has gone to waste, though, as Mante missed a 28-yard field goal, wide left. Yale is still scoreless, losing 9-0 with 10:01 remaining in the game.

6:04 p.m.: Penalties are really hurting the offense’s production. A would-be 36-yard pass from Witt to Balsam was called back because of a holding call. Hard rain has returned to Franklin Field.

6:07 p.m.: Facing 3rd-and-11, Witt completed a 19-yard pass to Smith. Four minutes remain in the contest, as the Bulldogs continue to advance the ball.

6:14 p.m.: Make that 0-for-3. Mante’s 47-yard field goal attempt was wide left. Although Mante started the season strong, the wet conditions may have affected his kicks today. 1:33 remain in the game. If Mante had made his kicks, this would be a whole different ballgame.

6:17 p.m.: Penn has been able to run the clock down and win the game 9-0. What could have been close game was hampered by crucial misses by Mante in the fourth quarter as the Bulldogs were shut out for the first time since last year at Harvard. Whatever the case, the team is going to need to show some dramatic improvement next week at Columbia, as once again a stellar defensive performance by the Bulldogs was wasted.