The Y150 continued its winning streak in enemy territory this weekend.

At the Head of the Charles regatta in Cambridge, Mass., the Yale men’s lightweight crew finished first among all collegiate crews in the men’s lightweight fours. The Bulldogs also finished sixth in the men’s lightweight eights.

Yale took fourth place in the lightweight fours with a time of 17:28.655, two seconds behind Don Rowing Club’s winning time of 17:26.637. In second place was Riverside Boat Club, and the New York Athletic Club took third. The top four crews were separated by only two seconds in a very tight, grueling race that lasted approximately 17 minutes. The Y150’s second boat in the race also had a good showing, earning sixth place, with a time of 17:41.922.

“Our fourth-place finish just two seconds back from the winner was tough but very encouraging,” Jeremy Hopkins ’10 said. “We rowed a hard race and definitely held our own against some very good club teams.”

In the lightweight eight race, Yale started in ninth place and moved up three spots to finish sixth with a time of 15:55.939. The New York Athletic Club won the event with a time of 15:28.295, with Princeton, Navy, Georgetown and Cornell rounding out the top five.

Head coach Andy Card said he was pleased with the crew’s overall performance, which he said was more important than how they placed.

“You want to do well, but it’s really about the piece you perform, not the place you get,” he said.

The lightweights also had a second entry in the lightweight eights comprised of only freshmen. The boat moved up one position from its starting spot and finished with a time of 16:38.716.

“The freshman boat rowed an impressive race,” Hopkins said. “They’ve had a great start to the year so far and will continue to be a big help to the team as a whole throughout the season.”

Conditions of the race were nasty — rain, wind and cold made for an especially difficult time for the rowers.

Looking to the future, Card said the team still has areas to improve, and he called for better interaction between the rowers and the coaches.

“The coaches need to communicate better, and the athletes need to respond better to what we’re trying to forge,” Card said.

The lightweights will continue their season next weekend with the Princeton Three-Mile Chase.

CLARK XUE