Already? Yale saw its first snowfall Thursday evening. Thursday was also the coldest day of the school year so far. Get ready for five more months of winter!

Hair-raising issues. Postdoctoral fellow Nick Aberle is urging Provost Peter Salovey to regrow his mustache in the month of November (“Movember”) to “raise awareness of men’s health issues, in particular, prostate cancer.” The practice comes from Australia, where family and friends sponsor participants’ “Mos” annually. “I am hoping to also get the Yale Daily News involved,” he wrote, “as they seem particularly obsessed with the state of your facial hair.”

Safeguard your valuables: Davenport has been hit by two laptop burglaries this semester. An e-mail from Master Richard Schottenfeld on Thursday gave various safety tips, even advising students how to open first-floor windows safely.

Opposite-sex evening companions should use gender-appropriate bathrooms, Ezra Stiles Dean Jennifer Wood said in an e-mail to all Stilesians on Thursday. She noted that gender is a “fluid social construction and all, but you get the idea.” She added, “I’ll just leave it at that so as to avoid showing up in Cross Campus!”

I like Mike. Mike Farrell, star of “M*A*S*H” and “Providence,” will be at the Yale Bookstore at 6 p.m. today to sign his new memoir, “Of Mule and Man.” The memoir chronicles Farrell’s experiences on his book tour for “Just Call Me Mike.”

Hot stuff. Central heating systems all around campus were turned on Thursday. Which came first, the snow or the heat?

Darn weather. A Facebook message Thursday rescheduled the county-fair-themed freshman class barbecue, which was to take place tomorrow, due to inclement weather. The barbecue will now take place Sunday, Oct. 25.

Celebrating 40 years. Afro-American Cultural Center performance groups and alumni bring Black Yale history to life on the stage of SSS 114 at 8:30 tonight. The performance is titled “Still on the Journey.”

Get lost in outer space. Modern Love returns tonight at Partner’s Café at 365 Crown St. “Galactic attire” is requested.

This day in Yale history

1961 The Yale Band and the Yale Record called a truce after the band returned the Record’s two stuffed animals, G. Raff and Muzzy Owl. The week-long hostage situation ended with no hard feelings, “exceedingly high-placed officials” on both sides said.