Demolition: Building razed to make way for new colleges

In preparation for the construction of Yale’s 13th and 14th residential colleges, workers on Tuesday razed the 119-year-old Daniel Cady Eaton house at 70 Sachem St. Yale is proceeding with its plans to clear the Prospect Triangle despite the objections of local preservationists. Those same groups also protested Tuesday a plan to open up the Grove Street Cemetery wall.

An excavator clears the rubble after the house was destroyed.
Jared Shenson
70 Sachem St. before it was torn down.
YDN
70 Sachem St. before it was torn down.
The Building was located near the corner of Sachem and Prospect streets.
Yale University

• ?

Where’s the before picture?

• Build it bigger

Yale already forgot about “before”, no need for a picture when you could care less about preserving historical structures.

• !!!

Erazed like everything else…

• Andrew
  • What the?

What a completely useless “article”. Could the author not even bother to Google Eaton and inform us of who he actually was?

• alum

Depressing.

• Why the rush?

I don’t understand. Building for those egregious new colleges won’t even begin for several years. It shouldn’t take that long to do the utilities work, as they claim. Why is Yale rushing ahead to demolish the whole area so quickly? Are they worried that public opinion will finally get traction and circumvent their plans to take over the whole city? The supposedly public street now has a sign saying something about it being closed to non-Yale people.

• Bob

Yeah, because that house is second in significance only to the Eiffel Tower and the Parthenon.

• Eaton fan?

Run us a feature article about Eaton so we know what’s supposedly significant about this house.

• June Komisar

Daniel Cady Eaton was a botanist, acc. to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Cady_Eaton

But notable residents aside, when destroying a building that is part of a beautiful and people-friendly urban context, one must ask if the structure that replaces it will be AT LEAST as good a design, with construction methods and materials that are at least equal in quality to the building destroyed. This is a tall order and I do not have confidence that this will be achieved in the case of the Eaton or the threatened Seeley Mudd building. Both are fine pieces of architecture.

In addition, we tend to discount the value to the greening of our lifestyle that respecting the embodied energy of existing buildings provides (quarried materials, manufactured materials, many hours of design and skilled artisanry, transport of materials). Keep in mind that current LEED building standards undervalue the importance of adaptive reuse instead of merely recycling building components (which is what Yale is claiming it will do).

• dk

How about a whole series of feature articles on every building being demolished? There must be people around who were students or staff in at least some of those buildings.