A fire in Mason Laboratory at around 4 p.m. Tuesday turned out to be a false alarm. The four New Haven Fire Department trucks and one ambulance that responded to the call blocked off Hillhouse Avenue for over 30 minutes, preventing Yale Transit buses from completing their routes.

Another fire alarm went off Tuesday in Timothy Dwight College, causing students to flood from their rooms into the courtyard. The master’s secretary, Karen McGovern, said she scheduled the drill for Tuesday because of the favorable weather forecast.

The Princeton Review released its Law and Business School rankings Tuesday, listing Yale Law School as “Toughest to Get Into.”

Calhoun College freshmen were initiated last night on Old Campus. Many freshmen guessed the event was coming after they received a cryptic e-mail telling them to be present in their suites at 10 p.m. so security officers could check for microwaves and other prohibited items.

At the 2009 Online Journalism Awards Banquet in San Francisco Saturday, the Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies’ online magazine “Yale Environment 360” was named “Best Specialty Site Journalism” in the “small site” category. The description praises the quality of debate and community engagement on the site, calling it “so needed in journalism right now.”

Rock climber Matt Segal gave a Master’s Tea in Branford College Tuesday. He showed photos and videos from his expeditions in Majorca, Spain, British Columbia, Canada, Colorado and the United Kingdom.

The New Haven Academy is celebrating their new permanent location on Orange Street by inviting community members to join the schoolchildren in the classrooms this morning.

Ezra Stiles College Dean Jennifer Wood-Nangombe sent an e-mail to the members of her college Friday to remind them that she will be stepping down at the end of this year. “I am so profoundly grateful to have been your dean and will miss this college and all of you dearly,” she wrote.

A gargoyle perched over the Prospect Street entrance to Sage Hall was dressed up in warm-ups and bedecked with the Olympic rings Tuesday. “We’ll get ’em next time, Chi-town,” the sign read.

THIS DAY IN YALE HISTORY

1921 Every student who ate at Commons was assigned a table. If he was not sure where he was supposed to sit, he could look it up on the bulletin boards in the hallway.

YALE DAILY NEWS