Clark’s attorneys push to seal warrant

As lawyers for Raymond Clark III, the man arrested for the murder of Annie Le GRD ’13, work to keep his arrest warrant sealed, Yale is pushing forward with plans to honor Le’s memory with a scholarship fund and campus memorial service.

Public defenders for Clark, a 24-year-old Yale animal technician, filed a motion in Superior Court on Thursday asking for the arrest warrant in the case to remain sealed for an indefinite period of time.

One of Clark’s attorneys, Joseph Lopez, said that the public defenders want to keep the warrants sealed until the lawyers on both sides of the case have had the opportunity to review all the documentation associated with the case. At the time of Clark’s arrest, Superior Court Judge Jon C. Blue placed the warrant under seal for 14 days at the request of the State’s Attorney’s Office.

“Our position is two things,” Lopez said. “It’s standard practice in these high-profile cases to seal the warrant, but we want to take a look at all the police reports and all the stuff before it gets out to the public.”

Lopez added that the defense wants to conduct its own investigation before information is publicly released.

Lopez and the other public defender in the case, Beth Merkin, wrote in the motion that “the disclosure of the information contained in the arrest warrant affidavit would irreparably prejudice the defendant’s state and federal constitutional rights to an impartial jury and to a fair trial.” They added that this “must override the public’s interest in viewing the warrant affidavit.”

Clark’s next court date is on Oct. 6, at which time the judge in the case, Roland Fasano, will probably schedule a hearing for the motion, Lopez said.

Yale will hold a memorial service for Le on Oct. 12 in Battell Chapel at 5 p.m, the Office of Public Affairs said Friday.

In addition to the memorial service, Yale is establishing and soliciting donations for a scholarship fund in Le’s honor. The “I Have a Dream” Foundation, which helps children from low-income backgrounds receive higher education, is also accepting donations in Le’s name.

• lexingtonave

I hope many people come forward those with high financial means and lesser means and contribute to the Annie Le scholarship. This is very important. This is such a horrific tragedy.

• ElmStreet

I hope many people come forward those with high financial means and lesser means and contribute to Mr. Clark’s legal defense. This is very important. This is such an important time to defend the legal rights of the accused.

• Jenny

I wished someone came forward with a physical means to help this defenseless girl at her last minute. At least this guy is having two lawyers and a whole legal system to protect him. That girl had to be on her own against a monster.

• interesting

2:22p.m. on September 28, 2009

——-

And somehow you feel that his legal defense is equally important to honoring the life of Annie Le, a woman who was murdered in the most brutal fashion 5 days before her wedding? Clark has more evidence against him that most defendants, and by all accounts is guilty. Annie by all accounts was an amazing you woman who accomplished more in 24 years then most in a lifetime. She literally may have gone on to cure cancer. everyone deserves a fair trial, but I would love to hear you explain your position and defend the tone of your sarcastic remark?

• Yale11

“She literally may have gone on to cure cancer.”

Oh good GRIEF. I feel terrible for this poor girl that her life was taken — and for what her family and friends now have to endure — but you’re laying it on a little THICK aren’t you? Yalies always do this. Odds are she was NOT going on to cure cancer. Do you how many people all over the world, in many fine universities, were doing the same work she was doing for years now? It’s perfectly valid to memorialize her in a beautiful way, but let’s not imbue her with attributes she had not attained yet. Not every writer at Yale is going to win a Pulitzer, and not every pharmacology student is going to cure cancer. In fact most — if not all of them — won’t.

• Seth Atlas

Every defendant, including this creep, is entitled to a presumption of innocence and a fair trial. But that doesn’t mean anyone should feel compelled to contribute money to his defense. An overly funded defense can result in a travesty of judtice, as in the OJ case.

• Bill

OK Yale11, I give up, how many people were doing the same work as Annie?
    If you don’t know then you shouldn’t make claims as if you do.

• Casey

Yale11, we will never know what Annie would have done in her life because this MONSTER took it away! Yes we can say she may have cured cancers, diabetes and who knows what else? Thats what research and hard work leads to, results and progress. Anyone who donates money to the defense of the monster responsible for the pain and heartache to Annie’s loved ones is just as guilty as he is. I hope this isn’t a drawn out case. Show the evidence to the jury and lets get the verdict already. An eye for an eye!

• george

I wonder why anyone would worry about this monster not getting legal defense. If he cannot afford one, the legal system will be obliged to provide one.

To “Bill”:

Yale11 has a perfectly valid argument. People have been conducting research on cancer for decades. This person does not and should not have to cite references. It is a well-known fact that many people have been trying to address similar subjects. Was anyone doing Annie’s EXACT experiment? That doesn’t matter because Yale11 is speaking in generalities.

I’m all for showing Annie Le some respect and mourning her death, but I do not think she should be idolized.

• @ #5 and 10

Good lord. What’s wrong with idolizing someone who’s been murdered? It gives solace to those who are grieving. You can size up the situation however you like, but this attitude is quite inconsiderate.

• Yale11

Thank you anonymous for your sensible post. It’s amazing that any college student should have to be told the harsh truths about cancer research. The people working in this field are talented people and I hope one day they will find a cure, but it’s way too premature — and the stats are stacked way too high — to pick out ONE pharmacology student and make an absurd claim in the face of all the evidence to the contrary.

Furthermore, my overarching point is that we don’t have to imbue this girl with qualities she had not yet attained in order to mourn her death. Annie Le’s death is not tragic because she was a “Yale student” or because she was a “pharmacology grad student” or because she wanted to “work on curing cancer.” These are categorizations that offensively imply that someone who isn’t any of those things wouldn’t be equally deserving of our empathy and grief. No. Annie Le’s death was tragic because she was a HUMAN BEING and no human being should be senselessly murdered.

• jsfatl

I wonder why Yale president come out so quickly to dismiss this case as work place violence, as if he already knows everything. I think something is fishy with the nepotism going on in this Yale facility. Yale president should not cover up the nepotism under his wind. Nepotism is a cousin of payroll padding.
    About the defense fund for the accused, you did not see Clark’s parents and relatives to come out to backup the accused character.
    This is a hate crime over infatuation. A twisted mind of superiority tries to master over an Indian princess and rage over his failure.

• AlexS

Dear Yales, My grandfather, Clark Martin Finnerud, was a man of some repute in the field of Dermatology. One of his fields of specialty was STDs. Hmmm, there was a time when mercury, extremely dangerous, was used to treat syphilis, and skin lesions were commonly treated with xrays. There a great many stories I could tell…Al Capone, the exotic dancer and the snake…

He used to complain about his cultures being destroyed by what later turned out to be penicillin…small world.

Yes, the skeptical can say spilled milk, but who is to say what may be discovered by anyone, no matter how great or small. Many times, all that is needed is an open mind and an open heart.