False start. Dean of Student Affairs Marichal Gentry’s traditional “dropping of the broom,” which officially signals the beginning of a cappella Tap Night, was thwarted last night. A brazen Eli took center stage and dropped a mop in front of the excited crowd; the a cappella groups mistook the mop for Gentry’s broom, and frenzied singers took off to tap their rushees before Tap Night had officially begun.

Red Rover, Red Rover, send singers right over! An epic game of Red Rover took place last night as part of the Tap Night shenanigans in front of Vanderbilt Hall. In an e-mail, students were told to wear “AS MUCH RED AS YOU OWN” and to “bring yourselves and anyone else sympathetic to our cause.”

‘Cribs’ comes to Yale? Over the next two weeks, Saybrugians with sweet suites can submit photos of their common rooms to the Saybrook blog to compete for such titles as “Best Bro Hangout,” and “Coziest Suite.” The suites that get the most votes are promised “eternal fame and glory within the Saybrook community.”

So much for moving on. Nancy Grace snapped her streak of eight straight episodes devoted to Annie Le’s GRD ’13 murder with a Yale-free show on Tuesday, but last night, she once again featured the case on her HLN program.

And that’s not all. Le’s murder is also featured in this week’s issue of People Magazine and the National Enquirer, which suggested that Raymond Clark III might have killed the 24-year-old Yale pharmacology student in a steroid-induced rage.

An unmemorable visit? Her Majesty Queen Rania Al Abdullah of Jordan — known for chronicling the life of a royal on Twitter for her 850,000 followers — has posted nine tweets this week, but none of them mentioned her visit to Yale.

Yale beat Harvard in the number of MacArthur Foundation “genius” awardees this year. Yale had four affiliates among this year’s 24 winners, while Harvard only had three.

At noon today, look for Sam Tsui ’11 on the Bonnie Hunt Show. Tsui, the star of “College Musical” and a member of the Duke’s Men, will share his dulcet tones with America after his Michael Jackson medley on YouTube caught national attention.

This day in Yale history
1996 A student found a live worm in her salad at the Pierson dining hall. In an unrelated case two weeks earlier, two students had discovered maggots in rice at the Saybrook dining hall. Bon appétit!