Raymond Ou, Yale’s assistant dean for freshman affairs, sent an e-mail on Sunday to all freshman counselors titled “Toilet Paper Emergency.” The message was a response to complaints about a lack of toilet paper in the dormitories and provided details of where to obtain more for any freshman seeking relief.

JE students thinking of faking sick may want to reconsider. A look at the sick meal order form for the JE dining hall reveals that the room service options for a “sick meal” include such delicacies as broth, Gatorade and bananas.

Davenport Master Richard Schottenfeld and Pierson Master Harvey Goldblatt thanked their colleges yesterday for their hospitality to the family of Annie Le GRD ’13, who stayed in the colleges’ guest suites and ate in the dining halls last week. “We are truly moved and inspired by the extent to which so many individuals gave of themselves on behalf of Annie’s family,” they wrote in an e-mail.

Tom Brokaw, a special correspondent for NBC News, will speak today on “The Future of Journalism” at 5 p.m. at the Whitney. Brokaw’s 47-year career includes serving as anchor of “NBC Nightly News” and “Today.”

Tragedy at Penn State. A freshman at the school, Joseph Dado, was found dead in a stairwell Monday. Dado, who was last seen at a fraternity party at 3 a.m. Sunday, had previously been reported missing. The police said he died of head trauma after falling 15 feet.

Four Yale affiliates will be announced today as winners of $500,000 “genius awards” from the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation: Mary Tinetti, a physician at the Yale School of Medicine; Richard Prum, an ornithologist and professor of ecology and evolutionary biology; Rackstraw Downes ART ’64, a New York landscape painter; and Elyn Saks LAW ’86, a professor at the University of Southern California.

Ezra Stiles held a Master’s Tea yesterday with Dean of Student Affairs Marichal Gentry. According to the event’s Facebook page, students were encouraged to “come loaded with any questions you may have about Yale’s student life.” Stiles has also managed to attract guests who do not work at Yale — the founder of Mozilla will give a Tea next week.

This day in Yale history
1986 Twenty-one protestors were arrested for demonstrating at the office of Yale’s chief investment officer regarding controversial University investments.