After opening the season with five games at home, the women’s soccer team will finally hit the road this weekend.

The Bulldogs (3-2) will face off against the University of Connecticut (4-2) — a perennially strong Big East Conference team — on Sunday afternoon.

Head coach Rudy Meredith noted that UConn has always sported a competitive program, adding that 2008 marked the first year the Huskies did not advance to the NCAA Tournament. He anticipates that Saturday’s match will prove a tough challenge for Yale’s squad.

“I think we’ve only beaten them once or twice in the history of our school,” Meredith said. “Obviously we understand that going into a game like that, we have to play well. If we don’t play well, we’re going to get destroyed … They’re a powerhouse team.”

UConn will come into the match riding a four-game win streak. In their most recent contest on Sunday, the Huskies defeated Wake Forest — a team ranked in the nation’s top 20 — with a score of 4-2.

Yale dropped its past two matches, falling by one goal to both Northwestern and Stony Brook. Prior to those two losses, Yale blanked its first three opponents.

But for Meredith, the team’s most important focus is preparing for the upcoming Ivy games, which are scheduled to begin with the Sept. 26 competition against Princeton.

“For a lot of these next two games we’re trying to sort out any kinks that we’ve got before we play Princeton next weekend,” Meredith said.

As the Bulldogs move away from home turf, they will also play their first game on grass this season. But other than that change of surfaces, Meredith said the match against UConn is a game like any other.

Kickoff is slated for 2 p.m. at Joseph J. Morrone Stadium.