CLARK ARRESTED FOR MURDER OF LE

Raymond Clark III is led into court in New Haven for his arraignment in September.
Raymond Clark III is led into court in New Haven for his arraignment in September. Photo by Isaac Arnsdorf.

Raymond Clark III, a Yale animal lab technician, was arrested Thursday morning and charged with the murder of Annie Le GRD ’13, a 24-year-old doctoral student in pharmacology who authorities say was strangled to death at an on-campus research facility.

A warrant was issued for Clark’s arrest shortly after 8 a.m., New Haven Police Department Chief James Lewis said at a press conference. Clark, 24, was taken into custody without incident at the Super 8 motel in Cromwell, Conn., where he had been staying since Wednesday.

No caption.
AP
No caption.
No caption.
No caption.
Police officers arrest Raymond Clark III, left, at the Super 8 motel in Cromwell, Conn., for the killing of Annie Le GRD ’13.
AP Photo/GeorgeRuhe
A police convoy leaves the Super 8 motel in Cromwell, Conn., with Raymond Clark III handcuffed in the black car second from the right.

Shortly after his arrest, Clark was taken to the New Haven Superior Court to face a judge, his legs shackled and his head down. At the three minute hearing, he only said two words — “yes, sir” — to affirm that he understood his rights. Surrounded by eight judicial marshals, Clark kept his eyes low, shifting his gaze between the judge and the public defenders representing him, Joseph Lopez and Beth Merkin.

Clark is being held on $3 million bond with a hearing slated for Oct. 6. Prosecutors have not yet announced whether they believe the crime was premeditated, nor whether they will seek the death penalty.

David Dworski, a Fairfield attorney who had been representing Clark, said Thursday that he is no longer Clark’s lawyer. Merkin, who said she and Lopez are “brand new” to the case, said Clark will plead not guilty and declined further comment.

In the meantime, Clark’s job at Yale has been suspended and he is barred from campus, University President Richard Levin said in an e-mail message to students and their parents.

“It is frightening that a member of our own community might have committed this terrible crime,” Levin said. “This incident could have happened in any city, in any university, or in any workplace. It says more about the dark side of the human soul than it does about the extent of security measures.”

Still, he added that the University would re-examine its security measures and re-emphasize its policy of zero tolerance for violent and threatening behavior. Levin added in an interview that Yale will continue to assist investigators and may now turn over personnel records if asked by prosecutors.

“Obviously if University records are subpoenaed, we’ll comply,” he said. “We did not and could not legally turn over our personnel records during the course of the investigation.”

At least six detectives from the NHPD narcotics unit had been following Clark at all times since Saturday, even before Le’s body was found, NHPD spokesman Joe Avery said. He was first detained late Tuesday night, when authorities called him a “person of interest,” served him with two search warrants and took a DNA sample. He was released at 3 a.m. Wednesday and served with two more search warrants.

In interviews, Clark’s neighbors and friends described him as personable and a “nice guy.” At Branford High School, Clark pitched for the baseball team, made the honor roll and, according to his yearbook, was a member of the Asian Awareness Club. Still, others added that he may have seemed distant and aloof to those who did not know him well.

A person familiar with the investigation said Wednesday that Clark’s DNA matched a piece of evidence taken from the Yale research facility at 10 Amistad St., where Le’s remains were found stuffed behind a basement wall Sunday, which was supposed to be her wedding day.

Lewis declined to confirm the DNA match, to identify a motive or to discuss anything else contained in the arrest warrant, which has been sealed by the court.

“It is important to note that this is not about urban crime, university crime, domestic crime, but an issue of workplace violence,” he said, adding that there is no evidence of a romantic relationship between Clark and Le.

Lewis declined to comment on reports that the murder is related to the lab animals that Clark cared for and Le studied. Levin, addressing a news report that Clark sent e-mails to Le before her death, said Wednesday, “To my knowledge there’s nothing that would be relevant to the case” in the correspondence between the two.

In his e-mail Thursday morning, Levin said that “nothing in the history of [Clark’s] employment at the University gave an indication that his involvement in such a crime might be possible.”

Clark, who has worked at Yale since Dec. 2004, is the only suspect, Lewis said. Police have seized 300 pieces of physical evidence, examined 700 hours of video footage and interviewed 150 people, sometimes more than once, as part of the investigation, Lewis said. While the police chief did not rule out whether the evidence would produce additional leads, Lewis said he does not anticipate identifying other suspects.

Unlike yesterday, when New Haven State’s Attorney Michael Dearington refused to name the judge who signed the search warrants, Lewis said the arrest warrant was signed by Superior Court Judge Brian Fischer. Fisher signed the warrant just 20 minutes before the arrest, after authorities spent all night preparing the documents, Lewis said.

Le was last seen entering the 10 Amistad St. building at 10 a.m. on Sept. 8, after leaving her keys, purse and phone in her office at the Sterling Hall of Medicine. She was considered a missing person until Sunday, when her body was found and the case became a homicide.

Described as sweet, outgoing and smart, the Placerville, Calif., native was dedicated to her research, colleagues at Le’s lab said. At Union Mine High School in El Dorado, Calif., Le was valedictorian and a member of the National Honor Society and the culture club.

Although she was small in stature, Le stood out among her classmates and was not afraid to speak up for herself. “She was a spunky little thing,” said one of her high school friends, Cierra Montes.

Le’s family has not spoken publicly but issued a statement Tuesday thanking the community for its support and sensitivity. The family of Le’s fiance, Jonathan Widawsky, issued a statement Thursday: “We share in the grief of the family of Annie Le and are, collectively, doing our best to deal with our tragic loss. Annie will live in our hearts forever.”

Isaac Arnsdorf and Paul Needham reported from New Haven, and Harrison Korn and Zeke Miller from Cromwell, Conn.

• yuenchungkwong@yahoo.com

it was not a fight to death over how to care for mice; clark only used that as pretext to get her to meet him; I can guess his real reason; however, both sides would want to downplay that angle at the moment

I expect his lawyer to plead self defence, that they quarrelled over mice and she attacked him first, leaving scratches, and he unintentionally killed her in a rage; I also guess the DA and the girl’s family would go along with the story, instead of digging up details in order to prove a darker motive

• Eric

Clark is going to plead not guilty. This is going to be a long process… :(

• joe

All professions have control-freaks like this guy. For example, for physicians in training, nurses and lab techs and emt’s and janitors in the hospital treat you like dirt, this happens even when you get to attending physician level!

• Stephen

Their was no one esle in the basement at 10am on a Tuesday?
    Where was everybody? No security
    in the basement? All the security outside but nothing inside! Letting student work
    all hours of the day with out
    security. Hoping Yale does something to remeber Annie for
    ever since it its Yale’s fault she never left the building!

• Reflecting

Assuming Clark is the perp and that he is a control freak..his actions have now removed from him all control of his life. A just thing.

• No whitewash

I hope the reporters who are following this tragedy will put some pressure on the Yale administration to be honest and thorough in their investigation into this murder. Without this, Yale’s knee-jerk reaction will be to whitewash this. As an alumnus, I can almost predict that Yale will go out of its way to find no one even remotely culpable (assuming this could have been prevented) in the fear that it would bring about “bad publicity” to Yale. Without your pressure, Yale’s default reaction will be to hold candle light vigils to make everyone feel safer and then chaulk this murder up to an isolated crazed individual, rather than to seriously look into whether it is a case of workplace intimidation and violence. If there is no thorough accounting of how this could have happened, we learned nothing from the Jovin tragedy 11 years ago. And Yale would be no safer for it.

• Anon

After things calm down. I hope the administration at Yale look at job training programs to spot workplace violence and work on team building. Most normal people react to stress on the job, by losing motivation, coming in late, excessive amounts of time-off or just quiting.

What is the work environment like where an unstable person would commit such an unspeakable act.

How well did Clark interact with other researchers. Were there complaints or gossip within the lab.

• straight to hell

I do not know if someone of you has seen a copy of original document (on New Haven Register) but a judge who set the bail at 3 MILLON signed UNWORTHY piece of crap because there is no word in English language as MILLON. how is it going to be meant? who is the person / persons / JUDGE working there in the law department who cannot spell? therefore, this document is not valid.
    the whole thing is crap and Clark will certainly sue for legal procedures improperly employed, including revealing his name, legal numbers, address, place of work – all done to nourish media corporations, Yale corporation and pride of local Police.
    Lawyers in Europe laugh as this seemed to be glorious US judicial system – it is all about money, media and corporations.

• Alumna ’78

As an alumni of the college and someone who works in a university bio lab, I have been very saddened for both the students and staff of the Med School and Yale. However, having read much of the news coming out about this tragedy, I would like to commend The Oldest College Daily for its sane, balanced, thorough and thoughtful coverage of this tragedy. Compared to a lot of the malarkey being written about this case, the Yale Daily News has been more professional, and more interesting, than almost everything out there. Whether or not Yale itself handles these events as it should, it can be proud of its student reporters.

• anonymous

“What is the work environment like where an unstable person would commit such an unspeakable act.”

Likely very testy. Many labs, even the best ones where people appear to be congenial and helpful towards one another, have hierarchies, and it is not uncommon at all for personnel to feel “ownership” of some aspect of the lab operations, such as a piece of equipment or polices relating to treatments of cultures and/or animals.

Most of the time though, this helps maintain a sense of order in the lab or department, and doesn’t spur an act of violence against somebody.

I have to wonder, as I’m sure the authorities probably are as well, if Annie ever felt threatened by communication with her from people at the YARC or elsewhere. Likewise, if there were concern about the condition of the mice, the personnel at the facility should have raised issue with the major professor as well, and he help straighten out the situation.

I am so sorry this happened. But it’s also a testament to how wise it is to have the support of a supervisor or co-worker when there may be workplace disputes, and have that person go with you should the parties need to meet face-to-face.

• tony

In medical school I was doing research and I had a lab tech who used to be a stickler about contaminating the cell cultures…I guess I am lucky to be alive!

• Anon

This is not Ray Clarks fault – it is Yale University. They did not provide a safe secure work environment for it’s “community” which means staff, students and professors. Given New Haven’s undeserved reputation of being dangerous you would think security would be even greater than a normal building.

A student was murdered during the work day in a busy “office type” security monitored building. Very very sad.

• Barb Coverley

If in fact there ws “no relationship” between these two people, why did Clark, a technician, have the phone number (“text message”) of Le, a grad student nearing her doctorate?

Good reporting, as always.

• No whitewash

Regarding #3 By Joe. Having trained at Yale-New Haven Hospital and else where, I can tell you that “abuse” of housestaff by so-called “support staff” is particularly incidious at Yale. I remember nurses on 9th floor mopping up patient vomits because they were afraid that the janitorial staff would get upset at them. I hope things have changed, but my experience elsewhere was like night-and-day. It’s all about how much Yale tolerates all the nonsense by those who are hired to help researchers and physicians.

• thom803

There is no way, NO WAY, a 24-year-old man killed a woman half his size over mice cages.

Once the trial starts, we will see more about the motive. There are deeper issues, likely involving his views with women in general, perhaps even Asian women specifically.

• No whitewash

Regarding #3 By Joe. Having trained at Yale-New Haven Hospital and elsewhere, I believe that “abuse” of housestaff by so-called “support staff” is particularly incidious at Yale. I remember nurses on 9th floor mopping up patient vomits because they were afraid that the janitorial staff would get upset at them. I hope things have changed, but my experience elsewhere was like night-and-day. It’s all about how much Yale tolerates all the nonsense by those who are hired to help researchers and physicians.

• Spiny Norman

@13 (Barb): I’ve worked in academic labs for the last 15 years and in every lab I’ve worked in, everyone above the undergrad level has everyone else’s phone numbers. Things go badly at odd hours (sample freezers fail, etc.), and it’s crucial that people can be contacted in these emergencies so that they don’t lose days/weeks/years of work. In my experience it would be abnormal for a grad student and a tech in the same lab *not* to have one another’s phone numbers.

• Hard lesson learned

This tragedy needs to be analyzed from all sides in order to fully understand what happened and why. If we don’t truly learn from this situation, than Annie’s unfortunate death will be in vain.

With respect to Ray, a person doesn’t become violent to this degree overnight. He obviously had built up rage, born from deep seated pain. What triggered him to unleash such violence and why toward Annie?

At this point, two 24-year-old lives are lost.

• systemic problem

I think this would fall within the range of “violence against women” not just workplace violence. This guy’s targets throughout his life appear to be all women…the targets of his “rage” and controlling behavior are never men. Whether or not he had a sexual motive towards the victim (ie, asked her to meet him with something licentious in mind), his targeting of strictly women throughout his life points towards a misogynist, probably a domestic abuser (his current girlfriend seems to be a doormat and not too bright from her remarks). I am not surprised that someone of his age would have this hate directed towards women though, considering how much violence against women is portrayed in the media: on television (CSI-type shows always feature some woman being raped, killed, or both, America’s Next Top Model featured dead-looking women in one episode, etc) and in pornography, which while it has been around for a while, has only recently come out with genres that depict and eroticize violent, degrading and sometimes brutal treatment of women (I think this is called “gonzo” porn). Somehow I would also not be surprised if this guy was a consumer of such woman-hating media. If it turns out he was, I hope someone does something to make sure this kind of stuff is inaccessible to people who might be influenced from seeing such things.

• Fellow doctoral student

I empathize more with this case than any others in the past several years. Also a doctoral student, I cannot fathom that this happened in the middle of the day in a campus building.

Has anyone else lost sleep over this?

I keep running over and over in my mind… what happened that day in the lab. Was something said to set him off? October 6th seems so far away.

I will pray for her family and her finance.

• Jim

Over the course of this horrifically tragic event I noticed a lot of animosity towards Yale. What’s happening to us all?
    Blessings to Annie and all of her friends and family suffering without her.

• Concernedforthefuture

Excellent reporting by Yale Daily News. I don’t think that we as the general public can know what went on in this lab. We were not there. However, when I was at university in my twenties, I worked on campus in the work study program my whole education. When you are in your twenties, you are not savvy to the ways of the world and yes, the university does need to provide some security to its students. Maybe they should have an employee screening process. How? I don’t know. Maybe they should educate the students on alerting them to certain behaviors that are inappropriate and have some kind of set up where students can alert superiors in safe, anonymous manner. I hope something is gained from this tragedy for future students well being.

• Lee

People are blaming Yale because a beautiful, smart girl is now dead and could Yale have prevented this? Did they ignore warning signs that this guy was a ticking time bomb? How did this creep get away with harassing people?

I agree with other posts that we live in a culture that encourages aggression towards women. It is so very true and that manifests in twisted ways.

• anon.

Quote from an article on Yahoo News
    (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_yale_killing):

“Le’s work involved experiments on mice that were part of research into enzymes that could have implications for treatment of cancer, diabetes and muscular dystrophy, while Clark’s technician job involved cleaning floors and mouse cages.”

I wonder if this was at the very base of what went wrong, although it seems it would take something drastic (rejection, spiteful comment, fending off an unwelcome advance, etc.) to trigger the reaction it did.

• Chicago

It is unfortunate that a lot of Yale folks have been portraying Mr. Clark as a lowly janitor. I gather that, as a technician, he had far more sophisticated tasks (please see the Times article below). Is there classism behind those belittling and demeaning portrayals of Mr. Clark? Of course, I don’t expect any Yale student to say “yes.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/nyregion/18yale.html?_r=2&scp=2&sq=raymond%20clark%203rd&st=cse

• CS

Chicago #25-

Don’t lump all Yale students together. At any one time, there are approximately 11,000 of them. Are you so unthinking as to conclude NONE of them would agree with your concerns re: classism? Use your noggin! There are plenty of working class folk at Yale – I was one 20-odd years ago.

@Spiny Norman #17:

I think several things point to a “romantic” motive on the suspect’s part:

1. His rape of his h.s. girlfriend and other threatening behavior toward him;

2. His membership in h.s. in the Asian Awareness group (suggests, possibly, a fascination with Asian women);

3. The fact that he’d worked at this lab for over four years and she’d worked there as a researcher for two, giving them plenty of opportunity to become familiar with each other and even to develop a relationship beyond a mere passing, perfunctory workaday acquaintance;

4. The fact that his g/f posted a note in May 2008 attempting to refute accusations that he’d been having an affair with someone from work (Fair to ask whether it could have been Ms. Le.);

5. The fact that she was just days away from departing for her wedding; and

6. The fact that he texted her on her cell to complain about the mice (you may be rignt that it all sounds routine, but skepticism of your point is more than reasonable, in context);

Yeun, post #1, sets forth common sense: it seems doubtful Annie Le was so mistreating the mice in her charge that a confrontation would ensue between them escalating to an attack and a murder. Wasn’t mouse care more his duty than hers, anyhow? It makes no sense that he’d text her complaining that her mice’s cages were dirty when it was his job, not hers, to keep them clean. Sounds pretextual.

I’d be very interested to see a month’s worth, or a year’s worth, of card swipe records to see how often the two were together in what rooms and for how long.

This guy had it bad for her, it would seem. One suspects that they had more history than mere passing co-workers. There are too many facts pointing in that direction. I could easily see NHPD/Yale/the State’s Attorneys, et al., pulling a veil over the relationship, if it were “romantic” – they don’t want her family or her fiance or his family to suffer any more than they’re already suffering; and less benevolently, they’d prefer to keep this story from becoming another OJ story, bringing tons of unwanted, prurient publicity and attention to Yale University.

In any event, the truth will out. If there is a coverup here, even one with purely benevolent motives, there will be cracks in the facade.

• Loan Ranger

I’m no legal eagle, but could all the evidence be thrown out of court, b/c the crime scene was open to contamination for so long…Is that grounds for evidence being dismissed?

• Stephen

Prosecutors may face difficult questions in Clark’s trial about why they didn’t restrict access to the lab after Le was reported missing, legal experts said. Le disappeared on a Tuesday, and authorities didn’t close it until the weekend.
    —————————–

Was it Yales fault the building was not closed? IF so Le’s family needs to sue Yale for all it has if they get no justice!!!!!!!!

Justice for Annie Le!

• Anon

First of all, Ray Clark is a bad person. So let’s not sugar coat things and play the classism card. If you want to get technical, Annie Le was a graduate student at Yale and that does require a certain level of motivation and dedication. This is America and if you are willing to work for what you want, you can have it. So I do not feel pity for this man who wanted to come across as valuable when I am sorry, no, his job probably was not that valuable. If you want to be revered, then get off your butt and get an education and do it.

• No whitewash

Classism or not, we have to keep up the pressure on President Levin to really look into the culture of workplace bullying at Yale especially in the dungeons of animal care. Many years ago, the clearly existed among support staff at the hospital. For example, I remember a cleaning man yelling at my co-intern because she had walked right over the floor he had just waxed – it happened to be midnight – she was post-call, which meant she had just staying up working 36 hours straight – and pushing an ECG cart for a patient who was having chest pain. I took the ECG cart from her, but I can still remember him being fuming mad at her for “being disrespectful.” He was a large man, but I should have reported this guy for unprofessionalism – but we felt at the time that the trouble was not worth it. In Boston and elsewhere, such behavior would get you fired instantly.

• No whitewash

And I might add that, although the cleaning man, was much bigger than me, I can’t imagine him yelling at me or another male doctor like that.

• NotYale’sFault

I can’t believe the moronic comments here blaming Yale for what this nutjob did – it’s bad parenting folks and our society at large. Thank God he didn’t bring a gun to work and target multiple people.

• CS

Correction to my post #26:

Point one should read as follows -

“His rape of his h.s. girlfriend and other threatening behavior toward HER.” (emph. added)

I regret the error.

• SP

I agree with anon’s post above. Classism may be present in the attitudes of some upper class folk, but it has nothing to do with this murder. It seems from the arugments above that people are trying to infer “reasons” Clark might have wanted to murder Annie Le based on his possible a) injured feelings from feeling inferior to Annie Le and b) possible (but highly unlikely) romantic involvement between him and Annie Le. As a woman of about Annie Le’s age and education (and also being Asian-American) I don’t see what Annie Le could have possibly seen in Ray Clark in a romantic sense, which is why I do not believe for a minute that she had any involvement with him beyond a professional one. Smart women tend to like smart men, especially because smart men also tend to be more supportive of ambitious women. I see no reason she would go for Ray Clark, therefore I think the conjectures of a relationship between them are fully fantasy.

Beyond that though, what if he felt injured by the discrepancy in the value of his work compared with hers? And what if he felt injured that she (if we suspend all rationality for a moment and imagine that they had a romantic involvement of some sort) rejected the prospect of a relationship with him? Do people really view these things as reasons to HIT or KILL someone??? At what point did society decide, that ok, if a woman rejects a man, or is he feels injured that a woman is better educated and will be better paid than him, that it is more understandable if he MURDERS her? I need to understand this, because if it is so excusable to do this, then damn, I am in danger and will be on the lookout for white men who can’t take rejection or frustration and have inferiority complexes!

• Spiny Norman

Wow… so glad that I am no longer in an Ivy. The arrogance and contempt for other humans on view here (e.g., comment #29) and in related threads is just sad. I realize that such attitudes are not universal (there are decent people everywhere) but this sort of insecurity-based elitism is a lot more common in the Ivies. The funny thing is that at the state university where I’m now a professor, the science is by any metric as good (grants, papers in Cell/Science/Nature, major prizes, etc.) — and remarkably, we manage this while generally treating one another with a lot more respect and dignity. Those of you trashing technicians either don’t work in a lab, and don’t have a clue what you’re talking about, or — if you do work in a lab — don’t merit their assistance.

• SP

I agree with you Anon. Classism could have gone the other way too, Ray Clark might have been jealous of her (Annie Le’s) ability to raise herself up in terms of socioeconomic class (it seems she was not raised by her parents, maybe she was an orphan? and her aunt and uncle live in a very modest ranch home) through sheer motivation and hard work. Especially, being not a white male…like Ray Clark is…who historically have been the privileged class. So, he may have been jealous of her upward mobility and the spirit and discipline she obviously had to climb up in terms of class, which he obviously lacked. So, he may have been classist himself!

• AlexS

The university has indicated that it has a work place harassment­/hostility policy, so my questions are: what is the policy, how is it communicated, and who is responsible for its implementa­tion/enfor­cement? Perhaps nothing could have been done to prevent this tragedy, but if even the slightest protocol that may have been missed from this policy exists, or the policy was not followed, then supervisor­y/manageme­nt personnel should be held accountable. Annie, I would wager, would want this if only to protect others who might follow in her footsteps.

My company’s policy includes:
    •Required training for all employees, sub contractors, and special training for management­/superviso­rs, which is electronically tracked. This training indicates that even the “perception” of hostility must be addressed and that ALL are responsible for reporting any incident, no matter how minor they may seem.
    •It is never the prerogative of either managers or supervisors to either dismiss a reported incident, or to conduct their own investigation.
    •All incidents, no matter how trivial, must be reported to HR/Legal who then direct the investigation and adjudicate the outcomes. Action can NEVER be taken against any individual who reports an incident
    •Failure of a manager or supervisor to follow policy is grounds for dismissal, and potentially criminal liability

If supervisors were told of a “control freak” in the lab and did not take actions, then either a poor policy was in place, or a breakdown occurred in either training or enforcement. Yale should be held accountable.

• Annie fought like hell.

Why did Clark have scratches on his chest? Does that mean his shirt was off? And if so, that seems like more than work-place violence to me.

If Le was strangled, why was there blood found? Regardless if it was his or hers, I’m assuming they are not releasing all the information relating to cause of death, and the NHPD is trying to divert attention from the obvious sexual violence committed against Le. Why, though?

To me, the average citizen who has a right to form an opinion, this seems like another example of an aggressive man who couldn’t get what he wanted so he used brute force to take it. Hope Annie gave him hell.

It was her scratch marks, her fight till the end that helped id him as a suspect or “person of interest”. And that is a comforting thought.

• SP

@#38- I have been wondering about the shirt issue too…I don’t understand how she could have possibly gotten scratches on him without him being shirtless, and I agree it definitely seems more like sexual violence which the NHPD is downplaying for whatever reasons. I am glad too that Annie fought like hell. What a disgusting person.

• grad student

Both the YDN and the New Haven Independent have done an excellent job reporting this story. However, I’m disappointed it took the YDN over a week to get Le’s school affiliation correct (GRD, not MED). A WEEK! As the university’s newspaper, it’s the least you could do. Otherwise, keep up the good work.

• Jeff

A video summary of the Annie Le murder investigation (via the YDN) and a tribute to her.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MOyvTJq4XQ

• Comments

No matter what the motive was, this murder must be framed as a workplace violence. Until proven otherwise, Yale must rule out whether there was an institutional failure (i.e. perhaps there IS a culture of workplace violence and intimidation against women students of color; perhaps the suspect’s supervisors did turn a blind eye to his attitude, etc). If you are an administrator, you have to start with the worst assumptions then rule them out systematically. Afterall, YOUR student was just murdered under YOUR watch inside YOUR facility during WORKING hours.

• george

#38,#39:

Yes. If Clark had had his buttoned shirt on, he would have got scratch marks on his arms or face when he and Le got into a fight in the so called ‘workplace violence’ scenario. He would not have had scratch marks on his chest.

Summer has already ended, and air conditioning is always on in the building. Why did Clark take his shirt off? Especially when he met a female colleague?

This strongly suggests that ‘sexual’ rather ‘workplace’ violence is more credible.

• n/a

This is probably at least partly undetected or ignored mental illness. Obsession seems to be a theme throughout these stories about Clark. Attempts at blaming the victim for her murder are ludicrous, even if she was friendly with the lab techs, which seems like the proper thing to be in a lab setting, that in no way implies any behavior on her part that would lead to her murder.
    In the end, everyone is responsible for their own behavior. If she had complained about him and it was ignored, then Yale should be held accountable.
    We want complete protection and safety AND we want less Big Brother. make up your mind.

• surprised

I find it rather strange how many people are going along with a kind of “rage over his OCD about mice cages or something similar turns into violent crime of passion.”

Uh, no. More like creepy controlling man sees, possibly watches for a while attractive, physically vulnerable woman, plots how to get her on her own, does unspeakable things to her (I assume some kind of disfigurement? Not atpyical behavior for this kind of murder with creepy sexual undertones) and clumsily hides her body. You don’t kill people like that in a fit of rage. You do in a fit of obsession. See the cleaning woman, Rodriguez, who disappeared in the building in NYC over the summer, killed brutally and stuffed in a vent by someone she an elevator repairman, someone she saw daily and thought nothing of but who obviously developed an obsession with her of some kind.

• Joanne

Reports continue surfacing about how Clark had “no motive” to commit this crime, and his employer was very quick to reveal to the press that there has never been reason to suspect Clark of being capable of committing something this. NHPD continues to withhold evidence. This is all just too simple, far too suspicious for me to have confidence that NHPD have arrested the right person. It is surely disappointing to see so many comments on this and other YDN articles taking a lynch-mod approach and proclaiming Clark guilty at this early stage. In truth, Clark is innocent. Nothing has been proven otherwise.

• willful blindness?

I find it interesting that anyone can disregard such overwhelming evidence and proclaim him innocent. It’s curious that anyone would ignore so much proof that he is a cold-blooded murderer. Perhaps this is what happens when violence against women is not taken seriously-so many people dismiss date rape as a woman lying to get revenge on a man after having consensual sex. If there is more support for women who charge their ex-byofriends, acquaintances, dates/whatever when they are raped, perhaps hateful misogynists like Clark can be identified early instead of slipping through the cracks of a judicial system that imposes an undue burden on rape victims to “prove” it was rape, and on domestic violence victims to prove that they did not provoke the abuse through their own behavior….emboldening such people to feel confident that they won’t be caught…even if they murder someone during a workday and stuff their body in a highly populated research building. Hope this guy gets the DP!

• AlexS

I agree with Joanne. I’ve had to administratively deal with hostile work environment issues as a manager within my own company, leading up to termination for the individual.

There were many signs: lack of trust issues, abusiveness towards others, paranoia, demeaning towards others that were thought to be beneath him. This individual destroyed relationships, particularly with those who were initially “on his side,” and although he never threatened physical violence, it was in my opinion just a matter of time. The setting in this instance was an IT environment…lots of bright/professional people.

Some of the first things I would have considered in this case, depending on the severity of circumstance would have been: required anger management courses, formal reprimands, job reassignment, and disallowance of the individual to ever meet one-on-one with other staff/faculty/students. It’s a lot of work and there are significant legal issues – but its part of the job. That being said, if I though an individual truly dangerous…immediate notification of security and immediate termination, letting Legal deal with the issues.

• been there 1991

New Haven juries don’t always convict the murderers of Yalies (even when there’s a taped confession):
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Prince

• GTB

I’m glad the killer is behind bars…Anne you will get your justice come OCT 6…Verdict: Guilty….DP by lethal injection.