UP CLOSE | Admissions: How low can Yale go?

When Sarah Beyreis ’85 GRD ’94 applied to Yale College, she faced the toughest odds of admission in the University’s history. Beyreis was one of 11,253 students vying for a spot in Yale’s freshman class. That year, Yale set an unparalleled admit rate of 20 percent, undercutting the record set a decade earlier.

But since Beyreis applied in 1980, Yale has set 16 new record-low acceptance rates, 11 of them in the last 14 years alone.

Beyreis now sits on the other side of the desk, working as the director of college counseling at the private Cincinnati Country Day School. When advising students, she sometimes describes her odds of Yale admission to show students how much the world has changed since she applied.

“It couldn’t be more different,” said Beyreis.

Yale’s acceptance rate has been falling for many reasons — from the rising number of college applicants nationwide to Yale’s decision to begin accepting the Common Application seven years ago — and is unlikely to rise anytime soon, 14 college counselors and experts said in interviews.

Still, this statistic may not tell the whole story, Dean of Admissions Jeff Brenzel said.

“My general sense is that the number of students at the most competitive end of the spectrum for admission has changed less than the attraction or appeal of putting in an application to see what happens,” he said in a recent interview. “That is, the application base may be swelling, but it isn’t necessarily because you have a lot more students who are at the most highly qualified end of the applicant pool.”

And so, Brenzel said, Yale’s acceptance rate may not necessarily mean heightened selectivity.

“There’s a sense in which the acceptance rate makes it look like it’s harder and harder to get into Yale, but what does that mean exactly?” he said. “My sense is that it’s not getting harder and harder to get into Yale. It’s just a case that the applicant pool is swelling for understandable reasons.”

A ‘DRAMATIC’ FALL

Despite Brenzel’s advice not to focus on Yale’s admit rate, it is a difficult figure for high school students, their parents and college counselors to ignore, especially because Yale’s acceptance rate is less than half of what it was a decade ago.

“It’s stunning during my 25 years in college counseling to see these rates falling so dramatically,” said Frank Sachs, director of college counseling at the Blake School in Minneapolis.

“Who would have thought 7 percent?” he added. “We were aghast when things were at 16 percent, and now we’re at half that.”

A recent spike in applications, which have more than doubled since 2000, has contributed to pushing down the acceptance rate. A total of 26,003 high school students sought spaces in this year’s freshman class, compared to the 12,887 who applied in fall 2000.

Brenzel attributed this increase to, among other factors, the trend of students applying to more and more colleges, an increasing attraction to highly ranked or prestigious colleges, and growing awareness of Yale’s revamped financial aid program. But there are other forces at work. Not only has the number of students applying to Yale been rising, but the number of students admitted to Yale has simultaneously decreased.

Since 1995, the number of acceptance offers extended by Yale has dropped by more than 550, or 22.3 percent. Yale has been accepting fewer students because there has been a “substantial rise” in the proportion of admitted students who decide to matriculate, Brenzel said.

One result of this phenomenon, Brenzel said, is that many schools that typically sent a few students to Yale each year have begun to see fewer and fewer of their students admitted. Counselors and alumni often raised this issue with Brenzel when he first assumed his post in 2005, and he said he can easily understand their perspectives.

“You’re seeing more and more people applying, but Yale is taking fewer of them,” he said. “It makes people feel like Yale doesn’t care about their [town or school].”

This sentiment was exacerbated by the fact that yield rates at Harvard and Princeton universities held steady over that same period, Brenzel said. This meant that, unlike Yale, Harvard and Princeton could admit the same number of students as in previous years, since the proportion of students matriculating at those schools remained unchanged.

But the tables have turned.

“Because of the early action changes at Princeton and Harvard, the yield dropped at all three schools,” he said. “Sure enough, I’ve discovered that people don’t seem to be calling as much this year.”

Harvard Director of Admissions Marlyn McGrath said Harvard College’s yield rate remained high after the university eliminated early admissions, and Harvard has not increased the total number of admitted students as a result, she said. Still, Harvard’s initial yield rate did fall two percentage points, from 78 percent, at that time, and the university admitted about an additional 150 students from its wait list compared to the previous year. Princeton’s yield rate fell that year as well, and the university subsequently admitted more than 85 students from its wait list, the Daily Princetonian reported in May 2008.

‘LIKELY TO REMAIN LOW’

But with thousands of Yale hopefuls bound to be disappointed this year, a dozen college counselors interviewed all agreed that Yale’s flood of applications is unlikely to start receding anytime soon.

Common sense would suggest that because the peak of the demographic boom of high school graduates passed in the spring of 2008, there will be fewer high school graduates applying to college in the future. But Jon Reider, director of college counseling at San Francisco University High School, and many of his colleagues see things differently.

“The end of the demographic boom is meaningless,” Reider said, explaining that the number of high school graduates trends downward on a gentle slope. A 2008 report from the Department of Education projects that the number of high school graduates nationwide is likely to decrease by only about 5,000 this spring compared to last year.

Yale’s acceptance rate remained relatively flat or rose after the generation boom subsided in the early 1980s, when it became time for Generation X to apply to college. But this time around, acceptance rates at Yale are not likely to see much of a rise, said David Hawkins, director of public policy and research for the National Association for College Admission Counseling.

“There are trends present now that weren’t present in the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s, including the Internet, several options for standardized applications as well as [improved] financial aid packages,” he said. “There are several trends that converge now that keep acceptance rates lower for longer. They’re likely to remain low.”

Thanks to the ease of submitting applications online, Hawkins said many students are applying to a larger number of colleges than they did in the past, a trend unlikely to reverse itself. Yale began accepting the Common Application in 2002 and began accepting applications online in 2003. In both years Yale set record-low acceptance rates after receiving several hundreds of applications more than the previous year.

TARGETED RECRUITMENT

Despite the substantial rise in applications to Yale in recent years, Brenzel said the Admissions Office does not aim to draw more applications for the sake of drawing more applications. Rather, he said, Yale uses a targeted recruitment strategy that focus on attracting both low-income and science-oriented students, two demographics sought after by selective universities.

“We’re trying to find the strongest students of those groups and make sure they’re applying here, but overall, we don’t have as one of our objectives to increase our total application count,” he said.

As part of this strategy, Yale has broadened the range of schools from which it recruits its students, said Nancy Beane, college counselor at the private Westminster Schools in Atlanta.

“The recruiting net is so much wider now for students,” she said. “There are students coming from international areas, rural areas and inner cities” who previously would not have applied.

The demographics of Yale’s applicants likely shifted as the University began replacing its financial aid with grants instead of loans, said Sandy Bean, coordinator of the college and career center at the public Woodrow Wilson Senior High School in downtown Washington.

As a result, Yale’s high level of selectivity is not necessarily a bad thing, given that the University has been able to strengthen its economic and ethnic diversity in recent years, said Richard Kahlenberg, an expert on education and a senior fellow at the Century Foundation.

The impact of such efforts has been visible in Yale’s most recent freshman classes. The incoming class of 2012 was Yale’s most socioeconomically diverse, with 12.3 percent of freshmen receiving federally funded Pell grants, rarely given to students with family incomes above $40,000.

But while Yale’s recruitment efforts have successfully brought more low-income and science students to the University, many applicants wooed through Yale’s recruiting efforts fit neither of these profiles.

Contrary to common sense, Yale’s low admit rate may, in fact, be a self-perpetuating phenomenon. As Reider explained, because a Yale education is seen by many as “desirable and scarce, it becomes even more desirable.” Brenzel independently made the same observation when asked if he was worried that some applicants are intimidated by Yale’s low acceptance rate.

“If you see the acceptance rate continue to decline, the first thing you worry about is that some students would be motivated not to apply because it’s too hard to get in,” he said. “It seems as, if anything, the opposite is the case. The perception that is created by a lower acceptance rate seems to attract more applicants.”

NEW COLLEGES: NO PANACEA

When University President Richard Levin announced in July 2008 that the Yale Corporation had approved the expansion of Yale College, he emphasized the importance of Yale’s two new colleges on decreasing the admissions strain.

“Admissions officers agree that in each of the past several years we have denied admission to hundreds of applicants who would have been admitted ten years ago,” he wrote, adding that the University’s mission is to educate highly promising students from around the world. “Today, we have a long queue of highly qualified applicants who collectively would allow Yale to make an even greater contribution to society if more could be educated here.”

Yale expects to increase the size of its incoming freshman classes by roughly 15 percent once expansion is complete. And, because Yale can admit more students than would actually fit into the new colleges, given that not all admitted students matriculate, Brenzel said, “I get to spread around lots more Yale love.”

Although all 12 college counselors interviewed unanimously praised the decision to offer more spaces for Yale applicants, many noted that this additional “Yale love” is negligible in comparison to the hordes of students who apply.

“It’s a drop in the ocean,” Reider said.

If the new colleges were built tomorrow and Yale College expanded by 15 percent, or an additional 200 students in each incoming class, holding all other factors constant, Yale’s acceptance rate would increase to roughly 8.5 percent compared to 7.5 percent this year. But Toby Brewster, director of college counseling at St. Paul’s School in Concord, N.H., said that if Yale makes more spaces available, it is only likely to attract even more high school students.

“The interest will follow the available spots, so I don’t know how much of an impact [Yale’s expanded enrollment] will have on the increased selectivity,” he said. “There’s not much these schools can do.”

Still, predicting Yale’s future acceptance rates remains more art than science; only three years ago Yale’s acceptance rate rose to 9.9 percent after five years of successive record-low rates. Each new year brings new uncertainty, Brenzel said, admitting he has no idea what will happen to Yale’s acceptance rate next year.

But just as students shouldn’t get hung up on a school’s acceptance rate, they also shouldn’t get hung up on attending one specific school, said Beane, counselor at the Westminster Schools.

“There are too many wonderful opportunities for you to get too focused on having to get into one school,” she said.

• 09er

Between murder and psychotic gun-touting medical residents, something tells me that applicants will decrease this year…

• Anon

Each year’s pool of admitted students is not monolithic. There are set-asides for certain groups. The ones that come to mind are legacies, offspring of big donors and celebrities, non-Asian minorities, and athletes. How have policies towards these groups changed since Beyreis’ admission in 1981? Which quotas (or non-quota quotas) have risen and which have fallen? Perhaps that has had a significant bearing on acceptance odds for those academically-qualified candidates who don’t contribute to campus diversity. As the concept is seen by the Admissions office.

• Observer

All this talk about the “admit rate” as a measure of “selectivity” is wide of the mark.

The increase in application numbers is basically a function of three factors:

(1) the increasing trend among graduating high school seniors to file multiple applications, and

(2) strategic moves made by Yale to increase the number by (a) adopting the common application and (b) moving from binding early decision to the slightly less restrictive “single choice early action” program, and

(3) the decisions by admissions officials at Harvard and Princeton (with the two largest overlap pools) to drop yield-boosting early programs altogether.

Although President Levin toured media outlets for a year decrying early programs on principle, when the opportunity came to join Harvard, Princeton (and UVa) in placing all applicants on an equal footing, he remained silent for weeks before ironically concluding that the circumstances presented Yale with an irresistable opportunity to “steal” a few applications from its “rivals” by keeping a restrictive early program.

This “counter-programming” strategy has had mixed results. The Yale yield rate has remained flat – and even declined a bit.

While more potential Harvard and Princeton applicants have been tempted to file a “what the hell” early application to Yale, Yale does not seem to have been able to exploit the situation in order to increase its share of common admits.

In the end, there is no evidence that maneuvers to increase the number of applications has increased “selectivity.”

Yale is still addicted to an early admissions program – filling half the class from a small pool representing only 20% of the applicant total.

The yield rate on the “regular” pool admits is no higher than it was 10, 15 or 20 years ago – about 53-55%.

• Hithere

Yale is still a safety school for Stanford and Harvard rejects. Sorry but it’s true.

• Interesting

Great post Observer.
    From what I’ve seen, some statistics, for example class average SAT scores have not increased during the time the admissions rate decreased also indicating that using admissions rate as a proxy for “selectivity” may require some careful reflection on the notion “selectivity.”
    I do have one question. Where can one find the historical data relating to early admissions and the “regular” pool?

• 09er is an idiot

09er, you’re an idiot. Applications will not be affected. After the Jovin murder, applications skyrocketed. Check admissions at Wesylan, UNC, Auburn, Dartmouth, Columbia, etc., where other high profile murders have occurred in recent years. No impact. BTW, 09er, you’re an idiot.

• To “Interesting” from “Observer”

Not sure quite what you’re looking for, but you might start by looking at admit rate and yield rate data for the classes from 1979 up through 2001, with the last two years including numbers for the beginning of the “early decision” era.

Let me know what you’re looking for beyond this, and I’ll dig it out if I can.

http://www.yale.edu/oir/book_numbers_updated/D7_Summary_YC_Admissions_1979_2001.pdf

• Really

Get a life, Hithere. Yale is not a safety school to Stanford or Harvard. I know plenty of people that didn’t get into Yale now at Stanford and Harvard. And, Yale easily bests Stanford at cross-admits. And don’t use the phrase “Safety School;” it demeans the process and the teenagers and their families involved in the process. Think about what an honor it is to attend any of these schools.

• PC’07

Yale is still the best undergraduate experience in the country.

• CD

As a hopeful Yalie, all I have to say is… yikes.

• To #6

If Yale applications decline – which is improbable given the projected growth in the number of applications nationally – it will most likely be due to the realization, among prospective regular pool applicants, that half the seats have be promised away already to the tiny fraction of overall applicants included in the “early application” pool.

• 09er

In respond to #6. Perhaps, you are uneducated. It the digital era of cable news networks and international news networks, news travels much faster it is did 10 years ago. A lot of graduating seniors will be applying to college very soon. If your a parent or a student, what kind of impression do you think this story makes? New Haven already has a reputation of being unsafe. I’m pretty sure that reputation is not getting any better this year. A matter a fact, if you check the medical student forums like student doc, you will notice that their are threads dedicated to this very topic. On college confidential, a popular site for high school students, I sure there is as well. That being said, I love Yale and never felt unsafe as a student.

• To #8

It is apparently not true – as you assert – that “Yale easily bests Stanford at cross-admits”.

No less an authority than Rick Shaw, Admissions director at Stanford and former admissions director at Yale, reported to the Faculty Senate at Stanford that it “gave (him) great satisfaction” to report that Stanford and Yale exactly split when it came to cross admits for the Class of 2012.

• Citation for #8 above:

“Last year Harvard took 27 percent of those that didn’t enroll [at Stanford], Yale 19 percent, MIT, 15 percent, and Princeton 7 percent…These are consistently our top competitors.”

Then Dean Shaw showed a table for this year’s group. The percent of non-enrolling students choosing Harvard remained at 27%, rose to 18.2% for Princeton, but dropped to 12.5% for Yale and 11% for MIT.

Said Dean Shaw, “This is not official yet, but I think it’s important. Remember that Harvard and Princeton eliminated their early [admissions] programs. So we’re seeing more overlap [now] with Princeton. Harvard is still first, [now] followed by Princeton [which jumped up two places over Yale and MIT]. Yale, then, is next. I don’t know why I take some joy in the fact that now it’s 80 (going to Yale) vs. 80 (going to Stanford). That’s substantially changed over the last couple of years. We’re making real headway in terms of our competition with the best institutions in the world.”

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2008/june18/minutes-061808.html

• The_Man

#9 By PC’07:

>>Yale is still the best undergraduate experience in the country.<<

Top 5 certainly, but #1 is a stretch and is better assigned to Princeton.

• #16

#9: Are you serious? You would rank Yale over other schools like Stanford, Berkeley, Texas etc. for undergrad experience? That is absurd. These schools have quality academics, athletics, are located in trendy cities and warmer climates along with larger student populations.

• @#16

Some people happen to hate large cities, hot climates, and large student populations. Personally, I’d rather enter the workforce right now than to go somewhere like Berkeley. The term “best undergrad experience” is so vague.

• Alumni interviewer

From studies and surveys I have seen, the “setting” is a very important factor when cross-admits choose one school over another. In one Yale study, it was concluded that the perceived superiority of Cambridge over New Haven as a college town is a substantial factor in the large advantage Harvard enjoys with cross-admits. This is one reason the administration is at pains to counter New Haven’s lingering reputation as a dangerous and unattractive city.

• @16

Hah, 17 is right. I actually wish Yale was in a slightly colder climate..

• Texas and Berkeley?

Only someone who went to Texas or Berkeley would try to claim that the undergrad experiences are in any way comparable to those at undergraduate-focused institutions like Princeton and Yale.

• 2013

Yale sucks.

• Dartmouth #1

You guys eating your own is hilarious. I guess you couldn’t get into a REAL college – a place where professors teach college students, not graduate students. And a campus where the town IS the college, and vice-versa. Dartmouth is the only true top quality academic institution which offers a COLLEGE experience, not just another university. Sorry you guys couldn’t get in – you would have loved it. (Reference: #1 College/University in US for quality of professors 2009)

• @Dartmouth

Dear Dartmouth #1,

Congratulations on your community college’s prestigious award with the brief title, “#1 College/University in US for quality of professors 2009″. I am sure that yours is the most prestigious award, among the 200 or so awards given out with similar titles (“#1 College/University in US for quality of hair cuts 2009″). What a pity nobody south of New York or west of Cincinnati has ever heard the name of your fair school.

• Safety school

I was accepted into Yale by Worth David in the early action program years ago and still went to Stanford. Grad school at Harvard. I love Yale and thinks it’s a great school. But it is in a pathetic little unsafe town. I would hesitate to send my kid there, especially a daughter. It’s just scary. This recent event will affect admissions, and Yale WILL have to go further down its admitted student list to get applicants (esp. woman). Some weaker students will get in (I’m talking to you alumni children). That’s the way it goes.

• Yale ’08

@ above posters: Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford, and Dartmouth are all great schools. Conventional wisdom says Harvard is the biggest name, Yale is #2 (but #1 in my heart), Princeton has the best undergraduate experience, Stanford will never be more than the Harvard of the West, and Dartmouth is cold.