CLARK CHARGED IN LE GRD ’13 MURDER

Raymond Clark III is led out of New Haven Superior Court after being arraigned Thursday morning.
Raymond Clark III is led out of New Haven Superior Court after being arraigned Thursday morning. Photo by Isaac Arnsdorf.

Raymond Clark III was arrested this morning and charged with the murder of Annie Le GRD ’13, authorities announced Thursday.

New Haven Police Department Chief James Lewis said at a press conference that a warrant was issued for Clark’s arrest shortly after 8 a.m. Clark, 24, who worked at Yale as an animal lab technician, was taken into custody at the Super 8 motel in Cromwell, Conn., where he had been staying since yesterday.

Police officers arrest Raymond Clark III, left, at the Super 8 motel in Cromwell, Conn., for the killing of Annie Le GRD ’13.
AP Photo/GeorgeRuhe
A police convoy leaves the Super 8 motel in Cromwell, Conn., with Raymond Clark III handcuffed in the black car second from the right.
Raymond Clark III, 24, is seen in an undated photograph from his MySpace profile.

He is being held at the Union Avenue police station on a $3 million bond. He is set to appear in court on Oct. 6. Clark’s job at Yale has been suspended and he is barred from campus, University President Richard Levin said in an e-mail message to students and their parents.

Clark was first detained late Tuesday night, when authorities called him a “person of interest,” served him with two search warrants and took a DNA sample. He was released at 3 a.m. Wednesday and served with two more search warrants.

A person familiar with the investigation said Wednesday that Clark’s DNA matched a piece of evidence taken from the Yale research facility at 10 Amistad St., where Le was strangled to death Sept. 8 and where her remains were found Sunday, which was supposed to be her wedding day.

Lewis declined to identify the DNA match, to specify a motive, or to discuss anything else contained in the arrest warrant, which has been sealed by the court.

He did say that there is no evidence of a romantic relationship between Clark and Le, but he declined to comment on reports that the murder is related to the lab animals that Clark cared for and Le studied. Levin, addressing a news report that Clark sent e-mails to Le before her death, said Wednesday, “To my knowledge there’s nothing that would be relevant to the case” in the correspondence between the two.

Clark, a Yale lab technician since December 2004, is the only suspect, Lewis said. Police have seized 300 pieces of physical evidence, Lewis said, adding that “you never know where evidence will take you,” but he doesn’t anticipate other suspects.

“This was not about New Haven crime, or University crime, or domestic crime,” Lewis said. “This was workplace violence.”

Clark’s attorney, David Dworski, was in court Thursday and could not be reached for comment immediately.

In his e-mail, Levin said “nothing in the history of [Clark’s] employment at the University gave an indication that his involvement in such a crime might be possible.” Clark, an animal lab technician, has worked at Yale since Dec. 2004.

“It is frightening that a member of our own community might have committed this terrible crime,” he said. “This incident could have happened in any city, in any university, or in any workplace. It says more about the dark side of the human soul than it does about the extent of security measures.”

Still, he added that the University would reexamine its security measures and reemphasize its policy of zero tolerance for violence and threatening.

Unlike yesterday, when State’s Attorney Michael Dearington refused to name the judge who signed the search warrants, Lewis said the arrest warrant was signed by Judge Brian Fischer. Fisher signed the warrant just 20 minutes before the arrest after authorities spent all night preparing the documents, Lewis said.

“It’s not a case of putting off this press conference,” he said. “It literally took that long.” (Indeed, the press conference started almost 90 minutes late.)

Le was last seen entering the 10 Amistad St. building at 10 a.m. on Sept. 8, after leaving her keys, purse and phone in her office at the Sterling Hall of Medicine. She was considered a missing person until Sunday, when her body was found and the case became a homicide.

Le’s family and fiancé, Jonathan Widawsky, have not spoken publicly but issued a statement Tuesday thanking the community for its support and sensitivity.

“The Yale community is grateful for the collaborative efforts of the New Haven Police, the State Police and the FBI, and for their tireless devotion over the last eight days to the difficult task of finding Annie Le and determining who is responsible for this horrible crime,” Yale Police Department Chief James Perrotti said at the press conference.

Isaac Arnsdorf and Paul Needham reported from New Haven. Harrison Korn and Zeke Miller reported from Cromwell, Conn.

• anon

Kudos to YDN. You guys are doing a really more than decent job compared with national news guys with years of covering crime beats. and kudos to the editor on Larry King last night. Having done CNN on a major story, I can tell you it is no cakewalk, and your guy really did good. First time out in a major venue. Wow.
    Not to bury the lead but just thought you should know.

• Stephen

Coward could not kill himself!
    Why does a new building does not have enough space for the students and their work? Why
    did Annie have to go to another
    building then to this building if this new building is so state
    of the art?

• Tyler Boone

Why is the arrest warrant sealed? What does the police have to hide?

• Steve

The Yale Daily News has been the best source for information throughout this tragic series of events. Far more professional journalism than any mainstream media web site.

• protectkidz

I would like to commend the staff at the Yale Daily News for their exceptional reporting of this case.

The accuracy of the reporting, combined with the dignity given to Annie Le, made this website my first choice for reading throughout the last week.

• Alum ’04

Let me chime in with praise for the YDN. Your coverage has been excellent–a really good blend of informative and professional. (In fact, I’d say your journalistic ethics were far more professional than many of the national news sources.)

• anon

YDN has been doing a excellent job compared to the rest of the major news outlets. well done.

• New Reader

Agreed. This paper consistently reported professionally and unsensationally. Hope the writers keep it up once they enter the national media sideshow.

• Bob

Scumbag. Put him in a jail cell with death row murderers and rapists and turn out the lights and let “nature” take its course.

• letz BYONEST
  • EB

The professionalism, accuracy and dignity that The Daily has conducted itself during this tragic event has been is to be praised. In a time when there are many rumors and falsehoods it has been comforting to read the accounts that are real. Thank you for keeping us informed!! As a member of the Yale community I thank you.

• Ilya

There doesn’t seem to be any evidence that this was a calculated premeditated act. Clark had to have known that his entry into the building with his Yale identification was recorded.

Clark has no known history of violence and essentially no motive. New Haven Police and Yale needed to get someone so they took evidence that prove that there was some contact between him and the alleged victim and rushed DNA tests. No one from the defense had an opportunity to watch the DNA testing being done. We have to be careful not to make a quick judgment.

I second the opinion of those who say that Yale Daily News did a great job.

• in Arkansas

I concur with praise for YDN. I have relied on you the past few days. I would say that if there is a college newspaper award equivalent to the Pulitzer, you deserve it!

• SpinZone

Watch Levin spin, spin, spin.

It is pretty difficult to believe that Clark had a clean employment history with Yale, given the reports earlier in the week that a prof had complained to his supervisor about his demanding and officious behavior. Given this, and what his neighbors and ex-gf have said about him, my bets are that it was perfectly clear, within YARC at least, that this guy was a problem.

• Rob69

Perhaps the arrest warrant is sealed because it contains details of the crime and the police are sparing the family of the victim. It would be uncharacteristically sensitive of the police to do this, and if this is the case I commend them.
    The public does not have a right to know everything.
    If the accused is guilty of this, he should be dispatched as expeditiously as possible.

• In Kentucky

I have been getting my news on this case via your website. thanks for such a great job of reporting on this story. You guys are doing a wonderful job keeping everyone up to date regarding this story. Thanks

• Kevin Gliwa

I, too, commend the entire YDN staff for its dignified, restrained and intelligent reporting of this tragic event. The piece on the crime scene being unsecured was insightful and a national scoop. It is unfortunate that there remain so few outlets where one will be able to practice this caliber of journalism in the future.

• a parent

True. As a parent of a yallie, I am reading everthing about this tragic event. YDN is always my first choice. Thanks.

• Eva

I have been following this story from Austin, Texas, and time and again I find myself on the YDN site because this is where the truly excellent reporting has been.

Thank you.

• sad

I thought he would have killed himself before got arrested. RIP, Annie.

• Some Alum

I would still be freaked if I were at Yale. Another random act of the dark side of the human soul.

Two heinous murders in ten years, the details of which have stunned the entire world. That’s bad luck. Or bad juju. Maybe Yale needs a campus-wide exorcism, along with state-of-the-art security and a zero tolerance policy. Couldn’t hurt. Might help.

At least at 10 Amistad. Seriously.

Yes, Kudos to YDN. There was some wacky s**t being reported in other outlets. But you guys stuck to the facts, avoiding all the speciousness going on elsewhere (“He killed her because she wasn’t treating the mice right”).

Good job.

• PH

Outstanding job in reporting. You have proven that the “local rags” clearly do better than national news. Well done.

• Yalie

As somebody who is generally critical of the YDN, I have to take my hat off to you guys. This was well-reported from the start. Kudos!

• Natalie

Another kudos. I read YDN before any other news outlet. You put others to shame.
    I pray Annie can now rest in peace, knowing her murderer will face the justice he soon deserves. I also pray the Yallies will find comfort and peace within their school.

• workplace observer

I hope we can count on the YDN to do as admirable a job covering circumstances surrounding workplace violence as they have done on this murder investigation. Do you think it’s a coincidence that such violence is increasing as, more and more, workplaces are structured so as to demand that employees bear total responsibility for the performance of jobs they have little or no power to control (ie. you are responsible for seeing that the work is done but you have no power to make it happen)? Where do you suppose Yale stands with respect to such issues?

• a friend

I don’t go to Yale yet, but i’m planning to. This school holds a special place in my heart, and everytime i’v read the YDN the past few days i have been reminded of my love for this great school. Congrats, praise, and support to the YDN for your coverage of this tragedy.Annie RIP

• protectkidz

Re: the arrest warrant being sealed.

Most likely to preserve the jury pool.

• r

YDN. you are amazing!!!

• Another alum

I second the praises offered for the reporters and editors at the YDN. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same of the incompetent Yale police Department. This investigation has been a keystone cop farce from the beginning. James A. Perrotti should either resign or be fired immediately. YDN readers: don’t forget about the 2003 bombing at the law school – another Yale crime that has never been solved. Levin’s comments disgust me – he’s shown more concern for his own and the university’s reputation than for the safety of the Yale student body. Disgraceful.

• news geek

Kudos also to the techies who kept your servers from crashing under the load. YDN was THE source on this story. Many thanks for your tireless efforts.

• NewHavenResident

I add my praise to the staff of the YDN. You guys have done an exceptional job with this story from the very beginning.

To switch gears by looking at this quote: “This was not about New Haven crime, or University crime, or domestic crime,” Lewis said. “This was workplace violence.”

WRONG Chief Lewis. This IS about University Crime. And you’d better not ignore that fact.

• alum

During my four years at Yale, the YDN was more a target of ridicule than a significant news outlet. Let me add to all the commendations and say that the leadership and quality of reporting during this story has been truly outstanding. Much thanks to the staff of the YDN for being remarkably organized, tenacious, and sensible throughout this ordeal.

• Barbara

Dittos on the kudos to the YDN team and the editor who has been doing the national interviews. I have no connection to Yale or CT, but I googled enough to know that the YDN has better coverage than any other outlet.

I now have you guys bookmarked. Thanks!

• Yale law grad

There are a couple of reasons why sealing the arrest warrant might be the right move in a case like this. I don’t think sparing the victim’s family the details has that much to do with it. As one comment above mentioned, with such a highly publicized case, publicizing lots of details can make it difficult to get an untainted jury (or can limit the jury to people who are really out of it in the extreme and don’t ever watch/read the news). Also, we don’t know how much questioning the suspect has had so far; possibly the police want to preserve some confidential details of the crime for now because they still want to find out if the suspect knows those details.

• Su

I agree with Ilya–maybe the NHPD are withholding some serious, plausible motive Clark had for randomly killing Le in “broad daylight” (if you will) that wasn’t romantic, but I really can’t imagine what that could be. If they really are arresting him solely on DNA evidence and she hadn’t been sexually assaulted or anything, then I really think their arrest is rushed and obviously shows pressure from Yale execs to find someone to pin the blame on. It really worries me that an innocent person who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time might end up taking the blame just to please the bureaucrats (or worse, cover up for a someone with the clout who actually committed the crime). I love my alma mater but I’m not above worrying that they’d send an innocent man to jail (or close their eyes to the fact) if the right people were pressing for it…

That said, I also have to add my kudos to the YDN for the thorough and well-written coverage–no one else seems to be doing an adequate job. Really, do they allow college papers to win Pulitzers?

• EPH95

Another voice of appreciation for how professionally YDN has followed this story.

• Wiseman

There is evidence this guy text’ed Annie L. on the morning of the murder to scold her about the cleanlyness of the mice she was working with and to request a meeting with her re same. Obviously, they met in the Lab and he verbally abused her like he has done with other grad students; she probably confronted him about his behaviour and would not take any verbal abuse from him. So he snapped, grabbed her by the neck and strangled her to death in the heat of passion. He then set’s off the fire alarm, hides her body and leaves. The whole thing probably took less than 10 minutes. Clark is a very dangerous person who needs to be locked away forever.

• Anon

We will all have our judgments, but this man deserves a fair trial, and is innocent until proven guilty.

Because he worked there, his DNA is inevitably linked with the crime scene; despite having “DNA matching,” such evidence is really circumstantial. To really prove his guilt would require DNA evidence linking him to the victim. The bloody gloves are one possible example–if they contain her DNA on the outside and his and only his DNA on the inside, it would be pretty compelling.

What a tragedy this whole thing is, for Annie, the university, and really a world that has lost such a great mind.

• Stephen

Saw YDN person on Larry King.
    Thought he did a good job as well as the staff on reporting this horrible crime. Will
    Yale making any changes or will
    things go back to normal? How will female students work in the lab?

• Yale 09

Chiming in to agree. You guys did an amazing job with the story. Thanks so much for showing the sensitivity and respect that other outlets lacked. (Every time I read “stuffed” to describe her body, I cringed.)

• ysm

Over the past 7 days, I’ve read incorrect information about this case on nearly every news website – except YDN. You guys did an incredible job of breaking news as soon as possible (usually before everyone else), but not reporting any of the crazy rumors that were on CNN and many other national networks. As someone who works at YSM and wanted accurate info about what was going on – thanks.

• Su II

I agree with Ilya–maybe the NHPD are withholding some serious, plausible motive Clark had for randomly killing Le in “broad daylight” (if you will) that wasn’t romantic, but I really can’t imagine what that could be. If they really are arresting him solely on DNA evidence and she hadn’t been sexually assaulted or anything, then I really think their arrest is rushed and obviously shows more interest in finding someone to pin blame on than to really see justice served.

• Wiseman

Also, the evidence points to a crime committed in the heat of passion (not romantic passion, anger.) There is no evidence of premeditation and apparently there is no sign of sexual abuse or robbery. As a result, he will probably only be charged with 2nd degree murder. If convicted he will probably be sentenced to the maximun 30-50 years; he will probably be eligble for parole in 20 years when he is 44. At some point, Ray Clark will be released from prison while he is in his middle ages. Anne L. is gone forever.

• Yalie Family

We would like to add our praise to YDN team. Outstanding job on a very difficult story. And the editor has consistently carried himself well in national interviews and this has been particularly obvious in his appearances on some of the more strident national “crime infotainment” programs where he has appeared. You have all done well by Annie, well by Yale and well for your readers.

• SB

Excellent reporting…

Yale has too many bullies on staff and faculty. The best teachers and mangers continue to leave this troubled campus, and the students suffer.

Workplace bullying, resentment as well as failure to enforce many university policies by managers should be investigated. Otherwise the safety of staff and students cannot be ensured.

Thank you, YDN staff.

• Tom

All the people calling Clark a scumbag and chanting for his death are forgetting that he has only been arrested, not found guilty in court. It amazes me how ignorant people are, but it explains how groups like the Innocence Project find 1000s of people who are wrongly convicted. To be convicted in our society, a cop just needs to shove some handcuffs on you and parade you in front of the media.

• SpragueStephens

@#20- He didn’t committ suicide because he is an anti-social sociopath and thinks of himself as “to important” to kill himself off. This guy obviously had some sort of asian fetish thing going on, and thought that he could domninate Annie Le by sending her harrasing emails about the cleanliness of the cages and so forth. They probably got into a huge arguement in the basement and he snapped when she would not “submit” to his silly clean-up demands and total harrasment of self. He then killed her in rage. Wow. So senseless.

• Pyale

Many people (including myself) have a hard time believing that Raymond Clark’s motive for killing Annie Le was over the cleanliness of mice.

Definitely think the police are without a doubt withholding information about the case

Nonetheless, good reporting by the Yale Daily News.

• A reader

Kudos for not sensationalizing this crime and refraining from casting undue aspersions on victim and person of interest.

• P

The YDN could win a Pulitzer if they tackle the root of workplace problems at Yale: how money for raises is distributed to departments, with managers repeatedly taking the largest shares with no accountability, treating those who complain about bullying or harassment like criminals and allowing it to continue, nepotism, blaming and quieting whistle blowers.

Some departments have serious leadership problems, and positions with a high turnover rate should be investigated closely.

• ArgleBargle

It’s really amazing how many people post here that hate Yale, hate Rick Levin, hate Yale staff and facualty, etc…

• E. Galea

There is no comparison with the job that YDN did covering the Le tragedy. Kudos for an outstanding job!

My thoughts and prayers are with Le’s fiancé and her family.

• THANK YOU

“Levin’s comments disgust me – he’s shown more concern for his own and the university’s reputation than for the safety of the Yale student body. Disgraceful.”

YES YES YES

• Tom

@SpragueStephens – You write out a hypothetical, completely made-up theory and conclude with “Wow. So senseless.”.

Who is senseless? You accused him of having an “asian fetish” and then made up a story about what you think happened. You can theorize on the case, but have no idea what actually happened. So don’t pretend you do. For all we know, she could have attacked him first. The point is we don’t know.

• Ilya

I also think that it’s possible that the victim in this case was the initial agressor.

• sarah duff

Put RayRay in a cage the size of the conduit he stuffed Annie into, drop in a couple dozen hungry rats from the NYC subway tunnels, lock the door and return
    a week or so later.

Justice served.

• YDN Reader NYC

I have been following the developments in this story very carefully. As many others have noted, the YDN has done an outstanding job with its coverage of this horrendous crime.

I am very pleased that a suspect has been arrested and am hopeful that justice will be served. Nothing will bring Annie back, but the person who took her life should be put away for a very long time.

• Seth Bootah

What was going on in that lab? How were the animals treated?

When you put humans in control of others, their worst nature is released!

Is the basement of that research facility another Abu Ghraib???

• Marialex

I don’t believe Raymond Clark killed Annie Le over the cleanliness of a rodent cage. This is awful speculation, but I think they had a romantic relationship, and used the animal cage “protocol” in their emails and text messages as a sort of code for planning to meet, etc. I think that her upcoming wedding triggered his reaction. I’ve also been impressed by your coverage. Thank you.

• TD

I will be surprised if the Defendant does not assert an insanity defense. He may have perceived that the mice which Ms. Le was working with were being mistreated and that he had to protect them. Obviously his alleged actions are still indefensible but such a defense could mitigate the sentence that he receives.

This is a horrible and senseless tragedy, may Annie rest in peace.

• BD

Kudos to “P,” #50, above. No one excuses murder, but turning a blind eye to actual dehumanizing conditions makes an institution complicit when some people snap. Levin’s comment about “openness, tolerance and civility” can only be taken at face value if he is committed to seeing that ALL members of the Yale community are accorded equal respect. Otherwise it’s a little like the slavemaster expecting honesty from his slaves….

• bb70

Tom, I agree with you. IN this contry the media plays a BIG role in sentencing innocent people. We have to see what happens at trial, but the YPD is not the MOST experienced in these types of murders. If he could have a good defense lawyer, I could easily forsee reasonable doubt in the evidence that will be presented. All is circumstancial! What if these two had consentual sex prior to go to work and by mere coincidence he was at the wrong place at the wrom time? In that case the DNA would be a match! I don’t trust the CTPD, much less the YPD. Also I think there is a lot of pressure from the Yale’s administration to convict someone.

• Wiseman

Clark did not kill Annie L. over mice, but rather the argument they had about the mice. By all accounts, Annie L. was not the submisive type and she most likely stood-up to Clark assuming he was just a bully. Instead, it appears as though Clark was a ticking time bomb, boiling with anger underneath his All American facade.

• PiersonDad

Very nice work. I also enjoyed watching your uber-articulate editor on Larry King. I am sure you will continue your superb reporting on this tragedy. Can my freshman daughter have a job with the YDN?

• Karina

I would also like to take a moment to praise the Yale Daily news for their outstanding journalism during this awful tragedy. You have all done a wonderful job and have been my go-to source regarding this story. Dare I say, the YDN had done a far more superior job than most national news outlets!

• Julio

He should be hung ASAP what a low life scum he is

• Jupiter’s Doorstep

I believe in ‘innocent until proven guilty’ as a concept, but in this case the physical evidence (blood, video, access records, defensive wounds, etc.) is overwhelming. The Clark’s DNA was removed from under the victim’s fingernails! No innocent explanation for that. Also, this building had card-key access not just for the building, but for EVERY ROOM in the Lab. This digital record literally puts Clark and Annie in the same lab room, alone (with no other persons scanning in or out) at 10:am on the day of the murder. After 10AM, Annie made no other pass key scans at all! They literally have this guy alone with the victim at the scene of the crime at the time it was committed. This is a slam dunk conviction.

• ysm 06 alum

Congrats to YDN and reporters for your hard, grueling and I’m sure painful work in reporting on this tragedy.

RIP Annie. No matter what other truth we learn, this is just a painful tragedy for all.

• East Coast Reader

I second all the compliments on your coverage. Very professional.

• Richard

One more high five for the guys and gals at the Yale Daily News !! Good work all the way around, and as a professional journalist I am sure that the caffeine to blood sugar ratio in your staff is, like, off the charts !! Those who have noted that the YDN site is the best/first place to go for the news on Annie L. are correct.

• Brad

That guy was a jerk. I ran into him before and he was aloof and full of himself.

• jbm

His job was taking care of mice and cleaning mouse cages for elite students. Maybe the psych dept could study just how demeaning that might be to some people and how much resentment would build up before the resentful loser might take it out on a 90 lb student.

• observer

This story has been sensationalized by the news media and begs the question:

Will Raymond Clark get a fair trial?

It appears to not be a premeditated murder. Maybe Clark got upset, lost his mind, and went temporarily insane. He grabbed a hold of her neck and then after 3-5 minutes, he comes to his senses and realized that he accidentally killed her.

That would be involuntary manslaughter which is a 2-4 year prison sentence.

The DNA evidence that ties him to the crime scene has not been publicized yet. But if Clark and Annie were meeting, there may have been physical contact between the two while he was showing her how to properly clean the mouse cages. Thus, Clark’s DNA would be found on her body and around the lab basement.

This case has already been so blown up and sensationalized by the media. Most are forgetting innocent until proven guilty.

• loan ranger

Clark will most likely plead insanity.. in that his megalomaniac self felt he was “God” and that he was protecting the mice from mistreatment…. In his world he could not accept Le’s reluctance to take his “authority” seriously..thus setting off rage.

It will certainly be a testament to the Yale Community if they pull together their resources to treat this individual and return him back to society in a better condition. He is one of yours Yale, do not abandon him.

• SpragueStephens

To Tom@54-I was asserting the report that Clark belonged to an Asian club in high school,which is fact. What I was trying to convey was more along the line of Wiseman’s comment@63-“Clark did not kill Annie L. over mice, but rather the argument they had about the mice. By all accounts, Annie L. was not the submisive type and she most likely stood-up to Clark assuming he was just a bully. Instead, it appears as though Clark was a ticking time bomb, boiling with anger underneath his All American facade.” He was obviously obsessed in some way with Le and they had some sort of confrontation. Whether she started it or he did doesn’t matter, he went over the top and killed her “in passion.” Furthermore, he is not insane; at least not in the legal sense. He most likely is sociopathic. You do not kill someone in the mannar that he did without there being some sort of feeling behind it. Peace Annie Le

• John

I worked around Raymond quite frequently in the course of my research and I must say he was always friendly and helpful. I’m very surprised by all this.

• yalie

@#74: Are you frickin’ kidding? Lock him up for life, at least.

• HungLo

Could this be a case of roid rage???

• Annah Wilson

When the truth comes out, they will find sex was the motive. Nothing else would be powerful enough. He had thought about this for awhile. He wanted to control her by having sex w/ her before her marriage. Her refusal of him turned his feelings to pure rage. He would not be denied!!! Another way to control her was to kill her.

• george

Assuming that Clark is guilty, I don’t think that the murder was premeditated. It is unlikely that he woke up and went to work that morning with the intention to kill Le in a building where many people worked, in a secured area where he was in charge. If he had the intention, he would have done it somewhere else in the darkness of an evening.

Le was known to be very nice. Some people said that Clark was also very nice. Clark emailed Le that morning for a meeting about the cleanliness of that basement place. Two very nice people came together and got into an argument over some mess-up in some animal cage, ending up with one of them killed. Does that make sense? At least Clark is known to have a dark side, being a control freak. And there are DNA evidence and scratch marks and bruises on Clark’s body according to the police. No normal person snaps so easily over such small matter to kill another person.

The other possibility is that Clark did
    have an obsession for Asian girls, with a certain stereotypical perception in mind. When he tried to force himself on Le, he was surprised and infuriated to find that she did not fit that stereotype and submitted like the girl (who was presumably Asian) he forced himself on back in high school. Little Le put up a good fight, leaving some marks on his body. He killed her.

Talking about police, it seems that they have not been treated fairly by some people. Professionally speaking, the police had to be tight-lipped in order to do their detective work. Then some people said that the police had something to hide. After the name of the ‘person of interest’ was all over the place, the police had no choice but to announce the name to the media. Then (probably the same) people said that the police should not make the name known before they arrested him. But the police did not announce his name first. It was the media.

It is a pity that such a beautiful and intelligent girl, who had a happy and bright future to look forward to, had to die like this.

• IAcuc

Compliance issues in regards to using animals, in this case mice, can be a huge issue if multiple violations have occurred w/in a lab or an individual. The government has strict rules along w/ the institution, on using the animals for research (ie. wearing shoe covers, gloves, aseptic techniques, animal protocols etc); unfortunately this is not always conveyed as important to the lab personnel or the P.I…The people that get it in their ear every day are the animal lab techs…unfortunately, they end up being the inappropriate people trying to convey this to the lab personnel or PI using the animals. Since their jobs rest on the violations (animal facility shut down; no job) they feel obligated to “do something about it”. I’ve seen animal techs curse, slam cages, and yell due to non-compliance issues committed by lab personnel. Of course they take it seriously, their job depends on compliance (theirs and others). It has to be made clear what steps the tech needs to do to make sure the violator is either re-trained or suspended for repeated or severe violations. The Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) director should always be included in this; it’s the law that they get informed of each violation. They also have say in if the lab or person should be suspended; and can also pull complete use on animals indefinitely (loss of NIH animal funding for the lab).

• James C.

observer: are you serious? or just a little dumb? In your scenario you describe coming to one’s senses and releasing one’s grip from another person’s neck after 2-3 minutes and “accidental death”? Sit down with a stop watch and see how long you can hold your breath. Once you finally give-up and take a breath (20-40 seconds later)I want you to imagine what it would be like if someone else was preventing you from taking that breath for 2-3 minutes. Do you see any accidents that scenario?

How do you explain Clarks DNA being discovered under Annie’s fingernails? Did that happen by accident as well, or could she have been fighting for her life while Clark was strangling her?

• michelle

I’ve been following this case for days. RIP Annie and my condolences to her family. I just watched Larry King on CNN, he had two of Clark’s childhood best friends on to interview. If anyone watched it they were not the brightest kids and one kept babbling and not making any sense. Larry asked if any of them knew about the engagement between Ray and his girlfriend. They said not at all, they were only aware that he had a girlfriend. I think this is important because he obviously did not take his girlfriend seriously he didn’t even tell his best friends, she cared about him more than he did. I think he was secretly infatuated with Annie, she was beautful, smart and had a bright future. When she didn’t give him the time of day, he went crazy and took her life. Also, on Larry King they mentioned that rejection was the number one cause of conflict in the workplace. She rejected him and he just could not face this.

• Jupiter’s Doorstep

IAcuc, your right! …and let that be a lesson to anyone else who breaches lab protocol! What happened to Annie Le could happen to them to….Damed protocol violators!!

• No whitewash

Many IACUC folks are idiots. It would be laughable if it wasn’t for the fact that they take their jobs so seriously. Many lose sight of the fact that animals are used to further research…OR food. We eat them if we need to. There is no justification for murder. Having said that, just watch Yale whitewash Annie Le’s murder. Yale offical after offical will say they had no clue Raymond Clark was a workplace bully and that nothing could have been done to prevent this tragedy. A big B.S. will start to pile up about how this was just a random act when the supervisors probably knew how abusive this creep really was.

• John

You’re exactly right #81. Many people have stated that Raymond was a surly control freak, a generally unpleasant person. Having worked around Raymond, I can understand how many would see him as such but he acted in this way for all the right reasons. I personally saw it as a sign of his professionalism; he cared about the protocols and the integrity of the lab. As I too am a control freak when it comes to lab protocols, Raymond and I got along just fine.

• TD ’12

I sincerely hope that these comments making wild assumptions on the facts of the crime and calling for a (gruesome) summary execution of the accused are not from within the Yale community. I would’ve expected better

It would be a terrible thing indeed if this man turns out to be an innocent who was railroaded by the NHPD’s desire to produce results under public scrutiny.

• pat

#81, #84 and #86 John. So if the lab personnel or grad student do not clean up after the work or research, you would intimidate and kill he/or she too. You are all dangerous people, a ticking time bomb. Yale should investigate all lab tech personnels, send them to anger management class, protocol for student abuse from these lab tech personnels. YDN please do the story follow up on this. May be there are more lab tech freaks than just raymond clak. what about John #86? He might kill someone someday!

• Terry

Obsession + Rejection + Control Freak + Set-off Incident (in this case, lab protocol violation?) = high probability of violence against the woman

Watch out, ladies, for these signs.

• Frame-up?

Assume for a moment that in this lab most workers are familiar with DNA– after all they’re working with animals and blood all the time. Would someone with access to the security systems be able to make it look like only two people were in a room at the same time?

It’s hard to believe that an argument over cleanliness lead to murder.

What exactly was Annie Le researching? Could their be a more sinister motive to get rid of her and pin the blame on an obvious patsy?

Few people seem to be describing Ray Clark as a ticking time-bomb who was bound to kill somebody sooner or later.

And as for the “tight security” in the building, apparently you can stash a body in that building for days without anyone noticing. How hard would it be for someone to plant some DNA evidence during the 5 days that the body was undiscovered?

It seems to me that the building would be full of people who know how to plant DNA and know how to cover their tracks.

Anybody who had the ability to manipulate the security system could plant whatever DNA they wanted to. After all, they had days to paint whatever picture they wanted to.

If the two people work together all the time it’s not too surprising they’re going to find DNA on each other.

Perhaps the police were under pressure to arrest somebody so they went with the only lead they have. They obviously weren’t certain enough about this guy’s guilt to move in sooner than they did.

If Ray’s guilty, is he so cool under pressure that he can show up for work the next day, knowing that there’s a decomposing body of the girl he’s obsessed with hidden in the wall, instead of disappearing long before the body was found? He thought nobody would ever find her?

Who’s #2 on the list of suspects?

They couldn’t come up with any real reason anybody would want to kill Annie Le so they decided to pin everything on her co-worker. Maybe they’re right, but I suspect there is more to this case than we’re being told.

• PC ’08

Wow, there are some real sensationalist Law and Order-style theories on here. Intrigue, Asian fetish, affairs … and people seem so certain of it. It’s good to see that at least some people still believe in “innocent until proven guilty.”

Let’s wait this one out. DNA evidence isn’t going to cut it … they’re going to need a motive to convict Raymond, and so far we haven’t seen one. Maybe they’ve got one, who knows? We’ll find out soon enough …

• uh…

right #90…someone framed Clark… they got his DNA and put it inside her nails while she was in the wall… (sarcasm).

• confused

i dont understand why anyone commenting here would think killing someone over lab protocols is OK. all the lab techs should be questioned, especially #86 by John

• hmm colorado

Let him fry!!!! YDN awesome job. No false information, the young man on Nancy Grace, excellent. He just gave the facts as he knew them and did not speculate. Heaven got another wonderful angel. RIP Annie. I will always pray for your fiance and family.

• Finally

I hope this POS has fun rotting in jail with the death penalty hanging over his shoulders – premeditated or not, this guy is nutcase that I have not one ounce of sympathy for.

• Wiseman

Lab Tech John (#86), would you and Clark “get along just fine” now that he has provided the ultimate enforcement remedy for whatever breaches of protocol Annie may have committed? You write as though you feel a little satisfied with what Clark did? I am sure outwardly you display the proper response to what happened, but inside perhaps you are a little pleased? Chalk one up for the lab techs in the battle against the very people the Lab exist for: researcher’s and students.

• Interesting perspective:

Does 1 Murder at Yale = 3 Murders at a Midwestern College?

The murder last week of a Yale University graduate student in her lab, which led yesterday to the arrest of a lab technician for the crime, has drawn an avalanche of attention in the news media. Part of the lure is that the victim, an attractive young woman, was murdered on the eve of her wedding, and part is the bizarre manner in which her body was hidden in a wall. But even more important, says Jack Shafer, the media critic at Slate, is the fact that the victim is an Ivy Leaguer. “If you plan to be murdered and expect decent press coverage, please have the good sense to be a Harvard or Yale student or professor,” he writes, noting that the calculus for journalists is “three murders at a Midwestern college equal one murder at Harvard or Yale.”

• OpenInfo

Why has Yale changed its IACUC website to require a login for access to any of the university’s policies on animal care? On reporting infractions? Shouldn’t the public be able to view what these might be?

• alum

“If you plan to be murdered and expect decent press coverage”

Yeah, that sounds like Slate.

• Marialex

Here’s an interesting tidbit that merits investigation. From the New York Times article, “Motive in Yale Slaying May Never Be Explained.”
    __

Still, there were unique problems, said John Danaher III, the Connecticut commissioner of public safety.

“In the normal course of things, if there were an event like this, you say, ‘O.K., everybody out,’ ” said Mr. Danaher, who oversees the State Police, which also aided the investigation. “You seal off the site and then let people back in after. It was not possible here. There were extremely important and valuable experiments that would have been destroyed.”

“These experiments have not just financial value, but also enormous scientific value that many people with medical issues are depending on,” he said.
    ____________________________

What experiments of not “just financial but…scientific value” would prompt authorities to allow the potential corruption of a murder scene? If I were a defense attorney, I would focus on the possible planting of all sorts of evidence…

• luong

I don’t think this jerk killed Annie over a few mice. That sounds too rediculous. Here’s my theory. This nut was probably attracted to Annie and obsessed with her for a long time (I bet he has a thing for anything Asian because he belonged to an Asian club in high school). He couldn’t stand the fact the she would have been married in a few days so he used his email as a pretense to meet her in person alone. There he let her know his desire for her. Off course, she rejected him and probably said something like “are you nuts? I’m getting married in a few days”. This probably made him go crazy, so he forced himself on her like he did with the girlfriend in high school. Off course she fought back. That explained all the scratches on his back. I’m sure she screamed for help too. He panicked and choked her to silence her. For a little girl like Annie and a muscular boy like him, he could have broken her neck when he choked her.
    I don’t think he intended to kill her when he asked her to meet him in that lab (unless he was retarded).

• IAcuc

There’s no excuse for murder. But there’s an obvious problem with how compliance is handled; all individuals involved in animal research are required to adhere to federally mandated laws. No one is allowed to choose which ones they want to follow and which ones they can ignore. Working with animals for research is a privilege granted; not a right. In terms of the IACUC restricting their website usage, yes it does hinder reporting of violations. If this is the case and you need to report a violation, try calling Yale information for that contact information. The other alternative is to contact USDA or Animal and Plant Health Inspection Services (Animal Welfare Act) to inform them of the violation.

• diane

gosh, I miss the excellence of the Yale Daily. I forgot how professional the YDN is (and was when I was at Yale.)

You have treated both sides with respect.

• anonymous

I think he was jealous that she was marring someone else and so then he just killed her

• ImMeh

His look(defeated)when he was arrested it seems that he was already expecting it.

• JustWondering

Why is it Ray’s girlfriend seems so defensive in one of her last myspace posts just the Friday after the killing? She says something to the effect of don’t be quick to judge her unless your hands are clean. Was Annie a girl he’d been infatuated with to the point that the girlfriend either encouraged or was an accomplice to the crime? The timeline before Annie’s wedding points to him as the sole perpetrator. But why the post?

• Yale Fan

YDN. Words cannot describe how awesome this staff is. This is not just another pat on the back. This is a serious congratulations! Covering a story like this takes skills. YDN has more than skills!!! This takes a sincere,genuine staff full of character to be true to both sides. Go YDN!!!

• Just Curious

Who is “Raymond Clark III”? I see his name, his job title, but then there’s nothing.. absolutely nothing.. about him. Who is this guy?