The Yale Summer Session office hopes to expand its academic offerings in Mexico, India, China and Jordan for summer of 2010.

The expansion of the summer program will benefit the current language studies programs and also offer more listings in a wide array of topics, including film studies, public health and architecture, with a focus on cultural exploration outside of the classroom. While these programs are still in the process of receiving approval, the summer session office has received plans and proposed curriculums from several Yale professors, Cristin Siebert, the Director of Study Abroad, said.

The two professors planning to teach classes in these programs interviewed highlighted how the interdisciplinary nature of their planned courses will enrich the students by allowing academic study throughout the cities where students are living.

Ashwini Deo, an assistant professor of linguistics who sponsors the program in India, said students will have the opportunity to learn about Indian culture and cinema at St. Xavier’s College in Mumbai, Yale’s partner university. Deo is planning a number of field trips to sites in Mumbai where students will have access to the local culture in the context of their courses.

“One of the crucial parts of the program is how students will be exposed to the city and the country beyond what they study in the classroom,” Deo said.

While the launch of the “Public Health in Action” course in Monterrey, Mexico was delayed last summer due to concerns with H1N1, Kaveh Khoshnood, the assistant professor of epidemiology who started the program, said his program fits in with the goals of expansion. His curriculum has specific plans for students to perform hands-on work with non-governmental health organizations.

“Two Yale students will be able to team up with two students from Monterrey, Mexico and actually investigate a health issue,” Khoshnood explained.

When asked whether she would be interested the new types of programs, Jenny Mei ’13, a potential pre-med student, said it sounded like an enriching opportunity.

“That would be a really great experience because I could use my Spanish skills in a public setting and for the benefit of other people,” Mei said.

The costs of an average one credit program including expenses will likely remain at $7,500, Siebert said. She added that 60 percent of students go with financial aid.