EMPLOYEE DETAINED; POLICE CALL HIM ‘PERSON OF INTEREST’

Law enforcement officials took Raymond Clark III into custody Tuesday night at the Middletown, Conn., apartment complex where Clark lives.
Law enforcement officials took Raymond Clark III into custody Tuesday night at the Middletown, Conn., apartment complex where Clark lives. Photo by Isaac Arnsdorf.

Raymond Clark III, an animal lab technician who works for Yale, has emerged as a person of interest in the investigation into the murder of Annie Le GRD ’13, law enforcement officials said Tuesday night.

Police said they served two warrants Tuesday night — one to search Clark’s residence in Middletown, Conn., and another to take DNA samples from his body. Still, police did not call him a suspect and did not serve Clark, 24, with an arrest warrant.

New Haven Police Chief James Lewis addressed the media at a press conference Tuesday night. Lewis announced that a search warrant had been served to Raymond Clark III.
Eva Galvan
A representative of the family of Annie Le GRD ’13 spoke to reporters on Tuesday evening.
Grant Smith
No caption.
Jared Shenson
No caption.
Police removed Raymond Clark III from this Middletown, Conn., apartment building Tuesday night.
Police stood sentry outside the Middletown, Conn., apartment complex throughout the day on Tuesday.

New Haven Police Department Chief James Lewis said at a hastily convened press conference that Clark would be released last night if he complied with the warrants, though police officials could not be reached for comment early Wednesday to confirm whether he was still being detained.

Lewis said Clark has been under watch since Le’s body was found Sunday, which was supposed to be her wedding day.

“We’ve been with him since we took this case over,” Lewis said, though he declined to comment on Clark’s possible motive.

Over 20 law enforcement officers entered his apartment in Middletown just before the press conference began in New Haven and escorted him into a car for transport to a police facility. Clark wore a white T-shirt and dark pants and was handcuffed as he left his apartment.

An evidence-gathering team from the NHPD arrived on the scene shortly after to search the residence. Lewis said authorities hope the evidence they gather there can be matched to some of the more than 150 pieces of evidence seized from the Yale research facility at 10 Amistad St. where Le’s body was found. Lewis added that police have reviewed 700 hours of video footage and interviewed 150 people, sometimes more than once, as part of the investigation.

Law enforcement officials focused their efforts on the narrow pool of people who had access to the basement and who may have encountered Le after she entered the building at 10 a.m. last Tuesday, University President Richard Levin said at a meeting of the medical school community Monday afternoon. Access to the basement area where her corpse was found is a restricted to specially authorized individuals who must use their Yale identification cards to access the floor.

A fellow animal technician said yesterday that Clark would have been intimately familiar with the basement where Le’s body was found because he spent most of his day in just two or three rooms there, tending to the research animals and cleaning their cages. The technician, who was told not to talk to the press, said Clark had worked at Yale for a few years, though his sister and her husband have worked at Yale for much longer.

Levin said in an interview Tuesday that Yale continues to assist investigators, though the NHPD is now in charge of the case.

“This really is in the hands of law enforcement at this point,” he said, “and so all we can do is be patient and wait for the results of the DNA test.”

Lewis said the tests would be finished in 24 to 72 hours.

Outside the apartment complex in Middletown, throngs of reporters gathered throughout the day as Clark’s name leaked out from investigators. Lewis said at the press conference that Clark has retained an attorney, and a person who works with Clark said Clark, his sister, brother-in-law and fiancée did not show up for work on the medical school campus on Tuesday.

At the Higganum, Conn., house where Clark’s sister and brother-in-law live, the blinds were closed, and shortly before 6 p.m. two people wearing hoods ran out of the house and into a black SUV.

The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner in Connecticut was supposed to release the cause of Le’s death on Tuesday afternoon but instead announced it would withhold that information indefinitely at the request of prosecutors. At the press conference, Lewis declined to comment on a report in The Hartford Courant that said Le died of asphyxiation.

A few hours before the press conference last night, Dennis Smith, a local pastor, read a statement in front of Woodbridge Hall on behalf of the Le family. As reporters crowded around him, Smith thanked the Yale community for its support and for respecting the family’s privacy.

“Our loss would have been immeasurably more difficult to cope with without their support,” he said on behalf of the family.

Reporting was contributed by Zeke Miller in Middletown, Conn., Colin Ross in New Haven and Victor Zapana in Higganum, Conn.

• Stephen

Guess pretty boy wanted Annie and she had the guts to say no and he killed her! Wonder if pretty boy hit on other femal students? Can he get the DP for this?

• Bob

Why on earth can they not hold this guy until the DNA tests are done??? Just 24-48 hours. That is not unreasonable. Sometimes the rules of law enforcement baffle me.

• Guy

Yale is getting EXACTLY what it deserves with this scandal.

• Bob

Why handcuff they guy if he is cooperating and just a “person of interest”?? Then why release him once the search is complete?? Seems if he is handcuffable he is also holdable until the DNA results come in. It makes no sense to me.

• Reynaldo

Yale University should consider renaming the research facility at 10 Amistad Street after Annie Le as a means of honoring her memory…

• anon.

“…a person who works with Clark said Clark, his sister, brother-in-law and fiancée did not show up for work on the medical school campus on Tuesday.”

Now, that tidbit is something I haven’t read anywhere else yet. Sounds suspicious on the surface but then maybe a lot of people who worked in that building didn’t show up for work the next day because the building was restricted to only “essential” people and had to be escorted in by police officers.

On the other hand, if the sister, brother-in-law, and girlfriend knew what was going on, then can they be brought in for aiding and abetting by not coming forward with pertinent information and “shielding” a murderer?

• Elphie

HE’S JUST BEEN RELEASED BY THE POLICE!!!

• Elphie

HE’S OUT NOW!!! NHPD HAVE RELEASED HIM!!!

• Yale mom

It certainly seems like the fire alarm which was activated at the research facility on the day Annie Le was reported missing is somehow related to her murder, as does the fact that Clark’s sister and brother-in-law both work there, too. It seems entirely conceivable that one of them could have deliberately timed the release of steam that would have triggered the fire alarm to coincide with that of the murder as a means of disguising the noise from the murder. This certainly sounds to me like a crime of passion which was committed against a carefully selected young woman of notably small stature who would have been defenseless against an attacker. I would want to know if Clark and the others are animal activists who wanted to prove a point. I am guessing investigators have thought of all of this already.

• Hermagoras

Which Tuesday? The 15th? If so, they probably knew what was coming and kept a low profile. If last Tuesday (the 8th), that’s another issue.

• Ella

I hope this guy is guilty, otherwise his life is ruined. Thank you to the media for posting his picture everywhere and telling me where he lives.

• Y ’10

@Guy (#3)

Care to elaborate on what you mean by Yale deserving this scandal?

• djw11

@Guy (#3)

That’s repulsive. Yale is both a autonomous institution and symbolically representative of its students, Annie Le MED ’12 included. It deserves nothing like this. No one “deserves” the death that Annie or the Yale community have had to experience. If anything, you deserve is a scandal, certainly not death, but a major chewing out. I don’t want you to elaborate. You need to apologize.

• According to the New Haven Independent …

In 2003, Branford police responded to an incident involving Raymond Clark & his then-girlriend when Clark was still a senior attending Branford High School.

[begin excerpt]

The girl [attempted] to terminate [the relationship] but the male [Raymond Clark] did not wish to end it. [The male] did attempt to confront the girl on this date and also wrote on her locker. The school will handle this incident concerning the locker and at the time of this report, The male was advised to have no contact with” the female student.

The detective wrote that subsequently the girl came with her mother to the station to speak to him.

She “wished to tell me of an incident that took place, however, did not want it
    pursued by this Department,” the detective wrote. “She stated that she had been having a sexual relationship with [Clark] and that at one time [Clark] did force her to have sex with him. The relationship did continue after that incident, however she is unsure of what [Clark] may do as a result of the break up.

[end excerpt]

What we presumably “know”from this incident;

1. Clark’s then girlfriend was concerned enough about Clark’s reaction to their breakup that she felt compelled to contact police.

2. According to the girlfriend, Clark once allegedly forced her to have sex.

3. Although the girl was “unsure” and perhaps fearful of Clark’s response to the breakup, Clark’s response, whatever it was, did not apparently warraant further contact with the police.

• Reaper

Raymond Clark is GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY.

Just Get Rid of him now.

• James C.

Innocent until proven guilty; however, for the sake of all the students, faculty and staff at Yale, lets engage in some speculation based on the assumption that Clark is the killer: 1.) Police have just turned a very desperate young man into an extremely desperate young man….Will he return to work at 10 Amistad? Will something else set him off again at work? Is anyone safe while this guy is loose?

• James C.

Also forgot to mention, many people who know Ray Clark are coming forward and speaking to various media outlets. What they have to say about him is not good: unfriendly, anti-social, authoritarian, controlling, ill-tempered; known to chastise grad students for minor lab infractions, etc.

The crime blogs are chattering about a rumour where police apparently found an email exchange between Annie L. and Clark wherein he scolds her for some breach of lab protocal and she replied with a “conciliatory tone”, the speculation being that this encounter may have blown-up into an altercation….

• 10

One thing is for certain: whether or not this guy is guilty, he is screwed for the rest of his life.

• KC

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2009/09/alleged_annie_l.php#017051more

On Sept. 29, 2003 he was a senior at Branford High School when Det. Ronald Washington responded to a report of a dispute. The dispute was between the (now) lab tech and a female student.

“The two are in a relationship which [the girlfriend] wishes to terminate and [the male] does not wish to end it. [The male] did attempt to confront [the student] on this date and also wrote on her locker. The school will handle this incident concerning the locker and at the time of this report, [the lab tech] was advised to have no contact with” the female student.

• Stephen

So does Yale now have 4 job openings? How could those Clark
    relatives and fiancee come back to work if he did? What about
    Annie’s work would anybody take that over now?

• roustabout

Guy means his medication needs to be readjusted. Later he’ll post some craziness about clocks and sculptures.

Shocking to read that there’s evidence in the Jovin case that STILL hasn’t been put through a forensic workup. Glad there are grownups involved this case.

• Curious

Clark, his sister, brother-in-law and fiancée all work at the SAME school? Wow! Did they have connection with their boss? How could half of the family be hired at the same place? Very strange.

• anon

he’s had a previous run in with the police. his ex-gf made a report that he forced himself on her

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/archives/2009/09/alleged_annie_l.php

The detective wrote that subsequently the girlfriend came with her mother to the station to speak to him.

pursued by this Department,” the detective wrote. “She stated that she had been having a sexual relationship with [the male] and that at one time [the male] did force her to have sex with him. The relationship did continue after that incident, however she is unsure of what he may do as a result of the break up.

• yalie

I don’t know if renaming the building in Annie’s memory would be the best idea, but I definitely think Yale should set aside some funds and create a few scholarships (maybe for science students?) named in her honor.

• wondering

Seems like this case could be a crime of passion. Could it be possible that this guy Raymond Clark and Annie Le had a “fling” or affair in the past? Then he went crazy 5 days before her wedding and killed her?

• Too surreal…..

If you are truly reading all ‘updates’ you would know that since Sunday, the day Annie Le’s body was found the police had already suspected Clark. They were sitting in front of his apt since then that is how the media picked it up. To say his sister, brother-in-law, and fiance were involved is insane. No one other than the ME and investigators involved know the manner of death so to say they were involved or it was a crime of passion is a guessing game. Stop trying to be detectives. You are innocent until proven guilty in this country. This whole thing is terrible for everyone involved, the Le family, her fiance, Ray Clark, his family, and the Yale community. Just wait to see what happens. Annie Le’s family needs closure that we can all agree on but let’s allow the investigators tell us what happened. P.S. ‘The Guy’ What did you mean when you said “Yale deserves it?” No one deserves this….

• James

More than likely, Annie Le was breaking off her relationship with this guy because of her marriage. Why, all of a sudden, would he make his moves now?

• r

Yale does NOT deserve this scandal.

• more info

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/09/16/2009-09-16_could_brutal_tale_be_about_mice.html

This article has more info about why Raymond Clark is a suspect.

• yes

“Guy” probably means that Yale is really awful about dealing with violence against women issues. Some of us have been meeting with college deans, raising the issue that it’s really easy to get raped, stalked, harassed, and murdered. We often said things like “Well does someone have to get killed before they start taking us seriously that violence against women is a major problem on this campus?” Unfortunately that seems to be the case.

NO one “deserves” a murder, not even a bigoted and bureaucratic institution that refuses to admit it is ever wrong. Yale has had this coming and plenty of us have been telling them for years. Truly I’m not shocked that someone finally has been killed. I’m surprised it happened during business hours, but that is the most surprising thing about it. I AM really glad that Yale is getting a bunch of negative publicity that is obviously their fault and they can’t control it, because maybe it will shame them into examining how they treat us.

“We love Yale Sluts,” was dismissed by many students & administration itself as boys goofing off. Now, we have the murder of Annie Le. Both on a continuum of misogyny that pervades campus culture. People get harassed and even raped or attacked pretty frequently. Yes a murder is unusual, but harassment and violence are not. The University makes it so difficult & embarrassing to follow through with a complaint (so much work, on top of an already heavy work/course load plus the stress of being assaulted) that many simply keep their mouths shut when being threatened in some way. Excomm, the same people that manage infractions like plagiarism and fraud, also manage cases of violence. They punish academic infractions far more harshly than assaults and rapes, and threaten victims not to make a big fuss. Was Annie ever bothered by anyone outside of the killing? We don’t know, but if so, it’s unlikely she would report low-level behavior that would indicate a threat.

Yale always tries to deflect attention on internal violence/harassment issues to things like “campus security,” expanding police patrols and arresting more random low-income people of color from the neighborhood. If you read the comments to the older articles on YDN, you see repeatedly people are blaming Black people, Black professor, New Haven Citizens, Black people, etc. Even though some of us, the ones who are actually using the facilities all the time and know much better our situations than the higher-ups do, have been telling them all along that the worst dangers are from people right here on campus, no matter what color, and it’s NOT a matter of just getting more police.

• too surreal

to ‘curious’: I am sure they did not have a relationship with the boss. Which boss are you referring to, their supervisor, managers, head of YARC, etc? Please….that is non-sense. Not to be rude but you don’t need a college education to work there, enough said….It’s pretty easy to get a job there if you JUST APPLY..

• Spiny Norman

The assumption of some here that Annie would have to be breaking off a relationship to trigger a killing is disgusting.

You were not there. You do not know what happened. Annie’s story is hers, not ours — certainly not ours to construct from whole cloth. Show the slightest bit of patience. Wait for the facts to emerge.

• CS

@curious #22:

People get jobs via friend and family referrals very often. Quite common – why would it be a surprise here?

• J

Wow he looks confused. I sure hope they got the right guy, because his life is now ruined.

• Chicago Journalist

First, I’d like to compliment the Yale Daily News for its fine and restrained coverage of this tragic story. Reading readers’ comments, however, particularly about the young man designated a “person of interest” by police, has left me feeling somewhat disturbed. You guys are all so quick to convict this man without a fair trail. Your comments on him and Anne Le being possibly engaged in a romantic relationship is pure speculation, as well as any possible involvement by the man’s family members, also employed by Yale University. Granted I don’t have firsthand knowledge on the medical lab’s day-to-day operations, but it seems that security cameras, magnetic key cards, and possible e-mail communication between this man and Anne, or even other e-mail communication, will help law enforcement narrow down the list of suspects. As for the spot of blood on this man’s clothing of which I read in other news accounts,it could have been animal blood. He did work in an animal research lab, after all. I think I share all Americans’ desires and concerns that for the sake of Anne, her fiance and her family, that this hideous crime be solved quickly and the murderer brought to justice. It’s only natural at a time like this that those who knew this young man will be coming out with stories about him being “odd” or “creepy.” Other than the police report of his encounter with the law while a high school student, there’s nothing else on him to suggest nefarious acts. Let the investigation run its course.

• anon2

to ‘yes,’
    so because the victim is a woman, it is a case of sexual harassment? I’m not saying that Yale doesn’t have a problem with that type of stuff, but men can be murdered too. we don’t know about Annie’s history of being a sexual harassment victim – we know that she was choked. I just don’t get why you’re linking one problem with another just based on the gender of a murder victim.

• thom803

That guy is gonna have a great time in jail. About the only one he could bully was a 90 pound woman.

From the NY Times:

“Mr. Clark graduated from Branford High School in Branford, Conn., and he appears first in the 2004 yearbook as a member of the Asian Awareness Club. He is photographed next to two women of Asian descent. The club, according to the yearbook, made egg rolls for a faculty luncheon and raised money for a trip to Chinatown for the Chinese New Year in 2004.”

This could be a case of an Asian fetish gone horribly wrong.

• keep my name and IP address off the record, YDN

to #30 by yes–You are exactly right. I was informed by Yale Police that my stalker (of two and a half years’ time) could not be served with a restraining order until he had physically assaulted me, although they confirmed that he was indeed stalking me. In fact, I was advised by a police officer that he didn’t know what action to recommend since men at Yale who behave inappropriately are often protected by the university. My stalker is a fellow Yale student. When I feel safe I’ll come forward with my story. At present, I don’t want to jeopardize my studies. Unless things change, I would not be surprised if cases of harassment continue unchecked and unknown by most on this campus. This general observation holds true whether or not the Annie Le case has anything to do with a sexual/harassment component.

• Former University Employee

“Guy” and “yes” — Large institutions take hits all the time from the public–often undeserved. Your comments suggest you both have some deeper issues. Would love for you to expand so we are all clearer, particularly Guy.

My experience: New Haven in the 80s was a city on the ropes; coming from daily commutes through West Philly, I saw similar issues (housing, economy, education, safety, poverty, etc) in NH but also saw three presidents and a whole university making taking real action and making huge contributions. Rick Levin has been an incredible partner with govt, business and non-profits, in bringing NH back from the brink. Tuition reimbursement (any college/associates degrees) for employees’ kids (all spectrums of society), home buyer program, neighborhood revitalization, pro bono service, incredible arts and educational opps for the public, regional collaboration, industry-building (investment mgmt, bio-tech, medical services, etc), construction jobs, and so much more. It was a sad day we moved to follow a diff. career path b/c NH had truly become our home.

As employee, I may not have traveled where “yes” has but 99% of the people I worked with or for consistently treated me with respect (sans one or two), and Yale worked incredibly hard to build a culture in which we could all be safe, physically and mentally. If “yes” is focused on student to student issues (like rape), I would think a more detailed case should be made and supported. Perhaps you have submitted to YDN or Register and I have not had chance to read…

Yale–or any large organization or community–cannot account for every member’s actions. All of us need to watch out for each other and call people on inappropriate behavior, as civilly as we can or according to the actions taken. It takes a village…

• Re: #30 By yes

Rather than showing concern for everyone’s safety, agenda-driven feminists would rather exploit Annie Le’s murder as a cheap excuse to malign every male as a would-be rapist or killer. Shame on you!

• ho

to “J”: he’s just a tech, and raped some girl in high school, so guilty or not, he had this coming. The PI of the lab should be held accountable for not firing a tech who is out of pocket. This what happens when you let a tech think he/she can boss around grad students.

• yale ’07

@yes #30: you’re exactly right. i hope you or someone else makes this connection publicly and forcefully in the campus press. when will they finally hear that misogyny/the violent harassment of women is a huge problem that needs to be addressed?

• Really?

#30, “yes”: Are you sure you’re talking about the same Yale the rest of us know? Violence against women is a systemic problem on this campus? Excomm threatening rape victims to stay silent? Comparative data to other college campuses to back up your claims, perhaps?

• Eric

Yale hired so many closely related people at the same place. It does deserve a scandal of nepotism. ;)

• sara

I’m assuming they handcuffed him because he was sitting in the backseat next to an officer and if he is a “person of interest” they have to take extra precaution in case he may reache for the officer’s gun or chokes the driver’s neck.

• sara

maybe she caught him doing something sick and unnatural like having sex with a dead animal and he knew his life was over so he flew in a rage, or maybe he tried to force himself on her and she refused and was going to call the cops.

• truth seeker

Does someone legally HAVE to give a DNA sample?

I am not saying he is innocent, but does an innocent person have to give DNA sample b/c they failed a lie detector? which has been proven not to be very accurate.

• loan ranger

I think there are a number of possible ways this murder could have been motivated, and i do not think it can be ruled out that this was a “crime of passion”…if the defendant was “insane” and actually believed Annie loved him/her and not a fantasy.

• YaleJanitor

Again, we only get part of the news from the police. OK poor Annie was smothered, but was she raped or otherwise used by the perp? We need ALL relevant information!!!

• th

If he is not the guy he’s luck is probably worse that Annie’s… How is it possible to give so much information about the suspect!

• OldYalie

If this guy is guilty, he should not worry to much. He will be spared a harsh sentence by a liberal judge, and worst case Barack Obama will pardon him due to bad childhood experiences.

• James T. Madison

The vicious things some of the commenters on this article say above are absolutely amazing. It’s almost as if they think Mr. Clark – who is not even yet a “suspect” – were not a human being with the same feelings and rights of due process as the commenters. Shame.

Look, according to public reports the chief interest in Mr. Clark is the injuries on his chest, which may or may not come from the victim’s resistance. If the victim scratched him, then it won’t take long for what’s under her fingernails to be compared to his DNA sample and for him to go from “POI” to “Accused.”

So why can’t the rabid commenters on this article keep their peace for a day or two until at least this particular evidentiary matter the matter is settled (if not his actual guilt or innocence)? How will they feel if tomorrow the New Haven police announce that the DNA under her nails is definitely NOT Mr. Clark’s DNA? Will they send Mr. Clark an apology? A check? Just treat him as if he were a character in, say, a “Grey’s Anotomy” episode there for their entertainment? Disgusting.

For the record: I have no inside information about any of this, including the evidence.

• @30

Grow up. Don’t hijack this and use it as a way to attack Yale for being anti-women, anti-black, anti-poor, anti-everything-except-rich-white-males. This was a targeted killing, and nobody knows the real motive yet. Yale did NOT “have this coming.” The school pours massive attention and resources into the Women’s Center, BSAY, LGBQT organizations, etc, and simply because one psycho did something like this does negate that support. I don’t mean to downplay the seriousness of fraternity misogyny and harassment, but the murder of Annie Le is NOT the eventual evolution of “We Love Yale Sluts” when left unchecked.

Calling the Yale of today a “bigoted institution” is ignorant, ungrateful and grievously misguided, and using Annie Le’s death as a platform to launch a rant about it is selfish and opportunistic.

• Disturbed

Wow, “yes”, you seem to be packing all of your angst at Yale into this tragic event, before any real facts are revealed about the case. Yale (an institution made up of PEOPLE, by the way) is reeling from this. Did you listen to Levin speak the other night? He could hardly talk. You may have your personal issues and concerns about how you’ve been treated at Yale and you certainly have a right to voice your concerns. But to roll it up into such a sweeping condemnation and say that Yale, as an institution, had this coming seems extreme and may be why you feel you haven’t been taken seriously. This is a huge tragedy for everyone — men, women, students, employees, professors, staff — all the humankind that live and work in and around Yale, not to mention the Le family. Please don’t use this as a bully pulpit to raise your own political issues with Yale.

• anon

Idea: I think police should check for fingerprints on Clark’s Lab ID Card — maybe someone else used it. Like he rented it out.

• Concerned Parent

I am quite surprised by those comments on this board that are filled with speculation, accusations and guilty verdicts. I expected Yale students to be more methodical, logical and patient when forming opinions, let alone conclusions about this incident. Why not just let the professional law enforcement people do their work? None of us has any clue as to what happened or has a better skill set when it comes to investigating a murder.

As for the long comment from “Yes,” if you are going to claim that “[P]eople get harassed and even raped or attacked pretty frequently”, please provide some facts for that statement. Wouldn’t you expect Yale students to do what is necessary to protect women at Yale? I could get hundreds of parents to join you, IF THERE WAS VALIDITY TO YOUR VERY SERIOUS CHARGES. Are you telling Yale parents that women have been raped and harassed on campus, reported it and neither the school nor the police did anything? Send an email to Yale parents and watch what happens. If you really care about safety issues, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. ORGANIZE, TAKE ACTION and I and innumerable other parents will be right next to you.

Re blaming Black people: Yes, prejudice still exists, but please don’t dismiss the fact that sometime people are logical in forming certain conclusions, prejudiced or not. I’ve worked in inner city, disadvantaged, predominantly black communities for over 30 years. I know the statistics about black youth, men, women, etc. I also know innumerable blacks from every socio-economic status. They are tougher on their “brothers and sisters” than any white people I know. Yes, discrimination is disgusting, but it’s not fair to blame anyone for taking into account the sad and overwhelming statistical info that exists regarding African-Americans. It’s not only Cosby and our Pres. (and even Jesse) who acknowledge the problem.

Please don’t chastise people for dealing with reality as it actually exists. This will all change some day and I hope I’m alive to see it. But in the meantime, let’s not act like there isn’t a real problem or that people are acting illogically by being a lot more careful when they venture off the Yale campus or think there is a greater likelihood, given the location of a crime, that a black person was the perpetrator. We all want to eliminate racism and prejudice, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be honest about how things are now.

BTW, this is written by a person who is still impacted by having to hail a cab when my friend (black, undergrad, JD and MBA from UCLA and Olympic Silver medalist, well-dressed, handsome and coming out of The Palm in DC) asked me to because he just didn’t want to deal with the discrimination of cabbies, the vast majority of whom were black.

• MED10

@ #41- It’s this type of attitude that endears grad students to the staff at Yale and the community as a whole. My god, the elitist mindset that seems prevalent against those we consider lower than ourselves is revolting. Now I can fully understand why most of the techs and staff I’ve dealt with seem to revile the grad students. I’d hate me too with an attitude like this. God willing I’ll complete my studies and move on to somewhere thats marginally based on equality.

• Case Solved

The New Haven Register has been reporting on a DNA match. Arrest imminent.

• Guy

Thank you YES (#30) — that is exactly what I was referring to, as well as a slew of other examples of Yale, as a bureaucratic institution, mistreating its students and trampling on their rights. I’m making a distinction between Yale in terms of its administration and Yale in terms of its student population/faculty. The latter are victims of the former and even the people criticizing me in this section, deserve to be protected as well.

The years of administrative silence over Harold Bloom is a good iconic example.

• shameless gay

Am I wrong for thinking Raymond Clark is kinda cute?

• Diane

HOW WAS THE BODY FOUND?
    There was a tip called into the tip line.

• roustabout

@47: you are forgetting that a subpoena for a body search was presented. A subpoena is issued for a search of a residence; absent the subpoena, the search is illegal, with the subpoena, the search is legal as a judge has been given evidence that there is need to investigate further. Same basic idea.

@41: the animal techs in the facility don’t report to the PIs in the labs, they report up the animal care chain. Yale staff are completely within their rights to tag grad students who aren’t following protocols (for all either of us knows, both his supervisor and the PI were cc’ed on all of the emails.) Nothing out of pocket there and his supervisor would have backed him if anyone had tried to act like he should not speak up. No one at Yale could have known about the accusation of rape against him; charges were never filed, there was no record.

If you show off that shiny ‘just a tech’ attitude in restauraunts, I sure wouldn’t want to be eating your salad or potatoes. Just sayin’

• Good for the Goose…

@#30

But don’t forget the mirror image. Oh, wait, that NEEEEEEver happens…

“Hofstra Student Recants Rape Allegations”

http://www.cnn.com/2009/CRIME/09/16/hofstra.rape/

• AP

It would not surprise one of a possible motive scenario such as: “It is reported that Annie Le was having an off and on affair with Raymond Clark as early as January. Girlfriend Jennifer Hromadka discovered their affair and reported in a blog that Clark was not having an affair.”
    Of course, another motive is possible such as: roid rage or animal rights.

• Captain Joe

Yale deserves this scandal just for its role in the glorification of Geronimo’s skull and crossbones. George Bush’s Grandad, while as a junior officer at Fort Sill, dug up Geronimo’s grave and took the skull and bones and he brought them to Yale.

• Avenger

Betcha that white Boy had an asian fetish.

• Recent Alum

I am curious what is the point of the YDN moderation policies if comments like #60 and #65 make it through the screening. Might as well have all comments immediately approved at this point.