The volleyball team hits the road today after posting a strong 3–0 start to the season last weekend at the Yale Invitational. The Bulldogs will compete in the American Volleyball Classic in Washington, D.C., on Friday and Saturday.

First up, the Elis (3–0) play the American Eagles on Friday night at 7 p.m., then on Saturday at 11 a.m., the Blue will attempt to best Virginia Tech (6–0).

In 2008, the Bulldogs went 8–4 on the road and the team is currently on an 8–0 streak in Ivy away games.

The Bulldog’s have bested American (1–5) in the two matches they have played against the Eagles, but both wins came on a neutral court. With the Eagles’ home court advantage, the stakes will be higher.

Earlier this season, the Eagles lost to Georgetown, whom Yale handily beat in their season opener last Friday.

Yale and Virginia Tech have not met since 1979, but in that single meeting the Elis swept 2-0. This year, the Hokies are 6-0 and expected to finish sixth of 12 in the ACC Preseason Coaches’ Poll. They have yet to play a road game, but recently stole the Virginia Tech Invitational. The team will play the New Jersey Institute of Technology on Friday night.

Yale’s squad, led by Cat Dailey ’10, Alexis Crusey ’10, Haley Wessels ’13 and a strong defensive line, is expected to be tough competition in both of the matches. Wessels opened her first weekend of collegiate play with an impressive 1.44 kill average. Her five solo stuffs, which account for five of her eight blocks, played a crucial role in Yale’s three wins.

Dailey’s 39 kills on 78 attempts and 3.38 digs per set on average, along with Crusey’s 3.00 dig per set average over the last weekend, hold the promise of another powerful weekend of play.