Mory’s sells naming rights

Things seem to be looking up for Mory’s.

Although the historic eating club’s renovations are still on hold, Mory’s Board of Governors President Christopher Getman ’64 announced Friday in an e-mail to Mory’s members that the organization has been granted nonprofit, or 501(c)(3), status by the Internal Revenue Service. Following the announcement of the IRS ruling, which makes any donations to Mory’s tax deductible, the club received an additional $170,000 in donations over two days, Getman said Saturday.

Mory’s hopes to complete basic renovations in wiring and plumbing, as well as add a bar, before its reopening.
Charles Francis
No caption.
YDN
No caption.

Getman also announced in the e-mail that donors can now receive physical recognition in Mory’s itself for their contributions: Donors can pay to name areas of the club, including the entrance and the new bar. Don’t plan on purchasing the naming rights to the cup room, library, the president’s room, the middle room and maitre d’ area, the office or Whiffenpoof table, though; those have already been sold.

“It’s only going to get better, I think,” Getman said of the new opportunities to generate donations. “It’s exciting.”

Getman added that the Board has finished revising its business plan and intends to show it to potential donors early this week.

“We’ve got some people who have very deep pockets who are very interested in seeing it,” Getman said of the business plan.

The total cost of renovating Mory’s will be $2.2 million, Getman said. With the donations that came in this weekend, Mory’s has now raised about $800,000 toward that goal. Still, Getman said he remains unsure when renovations on the building will start up again, and he said he continues to predict an early 2010 opening.

• TD’06

It’s Mory’s!
    It’s Mory’s!
    It’s Mory’s that makes the world go ’round!

• Possible sponsors

Great opportunity for corporate sponsorship. Geritol? Viagra? Grecian Forumula? Depends? Man the phones! Prepare for a bidding war!

• The Contrarian

Undergrad humor brought to you by Pampers.

• Yaleman

Mory’s has retained the best of the old and has added some wonderful new features. The architecture is true to the timeless style but with greater variety and useful space.
    There’s now a “Temple Bar”. There wasn’t even an actual bar until now. Great bartenders have a much broader range of drinks and draft beer. Lots of different Cups–old and new.
    Food is great, with a dramatically expanded menu and specialties of the day; hours are longer; service and hostessing are warm, gracious and efficient; and frequently a great crowd.Plans include expanded brunch, more use of outdoors including roof.
    The management is very responsive on site, professional and diligent.
    And more….
    If you haven’t tried it, you should.
    Here’s to another 100 years and more!
    What a wonderful labor of love by so many talented people! Thanks all around.
    Yale at its best.