After failed NFL bid, Abare turns to coaching

After an unsuccessful attempt to make it in the NFL, Bobby Abare ’09 has settled for the next best thing — coaching.

Abare, an All-American linebacker and the football team’s 131st captain, will be trading in his helmet and shoulder pads for a clipboard and headset next season as the linebackers coach at Wagner College on Staten Island.

Bobby Abare '09, the football team's 131st captain, has been hired by Wagner College as linebackers coach for the school's football team.

The Acton, Mass., native will also be working towards a master’s degree in business management at Wagner, a Football Championship Subdivision program in the Northeast Conference. The school announced his hiring last week.

“I always thought about getting into coaching,” Abare said in a telephone interview. “It’s something I’ve always wanted to do, to give back to the game. I think I can make a career out of it.”

Abare had said he hoped to land with an NFL team following his graduation in May, and it looked as if he might get his wish when the Kansas City Chiefs invited him to participate in a minicamp this spring. But the team ultimately chose not to offer Abare a contract.

“I thought I competed pretty well,” he said. “Unfortunately, I wasn’t what they were looking for but I thought I did pretty well and competed with the best of them. I got no regrets about it. It was a lot of fun.”

After the Chiefs passed on him, Abare said he reached out to former Yale head coach Jack Siedlecki, who retired after last season and now serves as an assistant athletic director, for advice. Siedlecki subsequently put him in touch with officials at Wagner, Abare said.

Several other programs were interested in Abare, but Wagner was the only program with which he interviewed. Ironically, it was a coaching change at Abare’s arch-nemesis, Harvard, that created the vacancy for him to fill: When Seahawks secondary coach Mike Horan accepted a job on the Harvard staff, Wagner’s linebackers coach last season, Joe Todd, moved into Horan’s job, creating the opening for Abare.

Abare won’t be the first Yale football player to start his coaching career at Wagner. Pat Graham ’02 coached at the school and is now an assistant for the New England Patriots.

Siedlecki, for his part, said in an e-mail message that he thinks Abare has a bright future coaching football.

“Bobby’s passion for the game is his number one attribute,” Siedlecki said. “His enthusiasm will be a great asset in coaching and recruiting. I could see Bobby in coaching as a career. He loves the game, is a natural leader and will have great rapport with student athletes, their parents and everyone he works with.”

Abare, meanwhile, promised to keep tabs on the Bulldogs — and, presumably, his twin brother, Larry Abare ’10, a defensive back on the team — as much as possible this fall.

“I’ll follow them every Saturday,” he said. “Unfortunately, the only downside to the job is I won’t be able to make any of the games but I’ll be checking in with them every Saturday and even during the week to see how things are going on up there.”

Abare is set to begin his coaching career on August 8 when training camp begins for Wagner. The Seahawks finished the 2008 season with a 3-8 record overall and a 1-6 mark in the NEC.

• Abare Fan

Good Luck Bobby. We will miss you!

• Alum

Why are some students post-graduation activities receiving so much attention? I swear, this publication sometimes seems to slober over athletes.

Why don't we follow the graduation careers of every graduate? Why are only the team captains of sports named, rather than the leaders of student organizations such as Dwight Hall?

*sigh* Whatever…

• Haha Alum, '12

^^So true! Honestly, if we are going to follow post graduation careers, line backer coach is probably on the low end of interesting career choices…. not that I'm trying to offend Bobby…

• Yale 08

@Alum,

The Sports section follows sports.

Do you not know how a newspaper functions?

The other sections have had numerous profiles of Yalies in interesting careers.

• Athlete

Alum, I'm guessing you didn't get a job with Merriam-Webster after graduation because you can't spell slobber.

• Response to Alum

This publication hardly slobers over athletes. Last year, it ran an article that attacked all Yale athletes for no apparent reason. It failed to defend athletes against an article that made unfair generalizations and some false claims against them. Most publications include sports sections because students and alumni are interested in reading about the sports teams and players. Sports teams play an integral role in upholding Yale tradition - ie. "The Game". Whether you like it or not, the Yale Football Captain is generally more recognizable to the Yale Community, and thus generates more interest, than the leaders of student organizations. For that reason, an article about the Yale Football Captain is more newsworthy than an article about most other graduates' careers. Comments like yours, unfortunately, perpetuates the division that exists between athletes and non-athletes at Yale. Plenty of other graduates receive attention from the publication. The great thing about a newspaper is you get to choose what you read and what you don't read. So rather than writing something negative on a message board about an article that hasn't offended anyone, why not just move on and read something else?

• Y'10

Oh man - #5 steps in with a DICTIONARY joke. Serious burn. That'll learn 'em.

• By Y11

And now we're criticizing someone who criticized the critique. This is why anonymous blogs don't work.

But I can't resist. For the record, #7, if #1 is going to take the time to be an anonymous anti-athlete bigot and only writing a few sentences, she should get the spelling of key words correct. I applaud #5's criticism and actually think that for a DICTIONARY joke, it's pretty well turned - the career reference and all - it's not that bad.

And a newsflash to all the other would-be anti-jock posters: this article is as much about Bobby Abare's shortcomings in the NFL as it is about his next career. So… attention? Yes. Slober [sic]? No.

• Can't we all just get along

Yeah, I'm this naive.

Please, can we not have a pointless, and ultimately hurtful, thread on this article where we debate the athlete-nonathlete divide …

Please?

• #7

FYI, #8, I disagree pretty vehemently with #2 -- I just would like to see a more substantive discussion of the issues. I only mock those who mock.

• FanSince'66

No shame on Bobby to miss the NFL -- it's a size issue with the pros, so lots of quality Ivy players don't make it for that reason alone. I'm sure he has more heart than most pros.

Same was true for noseguards Kevin Czinger '81 and John Zanieski '85 -- they were animals and All-Americans -- just not big enuf in NFL's eyes

• Haha

epic. fail.