The Yale women’s crew’s dominance the past few years has been characterized not by the success of one or two boats, but by their depth and strong finishes across the board. Their third-place performance at the NCAA Championships this weekend was no exception.

Yale and California finished on Sunday tied with 85 total points, three points behind national champion Stanford, which won its first-ever NCAA team title. The Bears were awarded second place by virtue of a better performance in the varsity eight race, with the Elis taking third.

The performance of the day for the Bulldogs was turned in by the second varsity eight, who nipped the Bears’ boat by less than a second to take the NCAA championship. The varsity eight and four boats also provided strong showings, finishing fourth and third in their grand finals, respectively, and exhibiting the depth crews across the country have come to expect from the Yale squad.

“This has been one of the best teams I’ve coached,” head coach Will Porter said, according to the Athletics Department. “We’ve focused all year as a team on the NCAAs, and we performed at a very high level. Every boat laid everything on the line.”

The NCAA Championships, held in Cherry Hill, N.J., wrapped up another strong spring season for the Yale women, which saw the Bulldogs take the Willing Team Trophy for overall superiority at the Eastern Sprints for the second time in three years and the varsity eight take the Sprints and the Ivy League title for the third time in five years.

All six boats that raced at the Eastern Sprints finished either first or second, illuminating, once again, the depth the Elis present to opponents.