crimson.jpg

Updated 10:21 p.m. An unidentified man was shot in one of Harvard’s undergraduate residences around 5 p.m. today, the authorities said.

Police believe the shooting — which occurred in Kirkland House — was in isolated incident and that the suspects have fled the area, Harvard officials said in a message posted to the university’s Web site. The victim, whose identity has not been released, was hospitalized in stable condition, The Harvard Crimson reported. After the shooting, Harvard officials asked all affiliates to stay indoors, but the university has now said members of the community are free to resume their normal activity.

It was not immediately clear whether the victim was a Harvard student, although The Crimson quoted a student as saying the victim appeared to be a “college-aged” black male.

Kirkland House Master Tom Conley described the incident to the newspaper as “in most likelihood a targeted shooting.” He could not confirm whether the victim was a Harvard student but told The Crimson that the victim was not a resident of Kirkland, one of Harvard’s 12 undergraduate houses.

Most Harvard undergraduates are still on campus as final exams do not end until Friday.

The shooting comes just a few weeks after a fatal shooting at Wesleyan University drew national headlines.

(Photo: The Harvard Crimson)