News’ View: Erin Fackler ’11 for UOFC chair

This decision was made exceedingly difficult because one of the candidates, Erin Fackler ’11, is abroad this semester, so our assessment of her was limited to a telephone interview. Nonetheless, we feel we know enough about her work for the Undergraduate Organizations Funding Committee and have heard enough about her ideas to endorse her over her opponent, Murong Yang ’12.

Fackler has worked on the UOFC during her two years at Yale. By all indications, she has been a productive member of the committee and has earned the appreciation of her colleagues. Yang, too, has been committed to the UOFC this year. By her account, she was often the only person working on projects with UOFC Chair Bryan Twarek ’10. But we believe that in a job like this one, two years of experience is better than one, and Fackler, though she is abroad now, is likely more prepared to take over the position for which she is running.

On ideas, too, we saw greater promise in Fackler. Both pledged to encourage and fund fewer 5K events and more 2K events, but Yang’s unique ideas seemed less realistic than Fackler’s. Yang proposed automating the UOFC’s equipment rental Web site, a project that, knowing the slow pace at which such technological improvements tend to take place, will not be as easy as she claims, especially when spearheaded by a young newcomer.

Fackler, on the other hand, proposed a more modest technological improvement: making the UOFC Web site more comprehensive and helpful to help groups figure out how to apply for which types of funding. And she outlined ideas for how she would accomplish each of her goals, showing greater understanding of the UOFC’s function than her opponent did.

Neither candidate may be as successful in the position as Twarek has been, but both seemed competent and energetic. Fackler’s greater demonstrated understanding of what the UOFC can and should try to do, as well as her extra year of experience working with the committee, lead us to endorse her for UOFC chair.

• Y'12

Correct me if I'm wrong, but if Erin Fackler has been in China all this semester, doesn't that mean she merely has one more semester worth of experience, not the whole extra year this endorsement is stressing?

Also, way to go for the candidate with more "modest" goals. Making the website "more comprehensive" pales in comparison to Murong Yang's idea of actual face-to-face interaction in achieving the same goal of helping groups attain the appropriate funding.

• Bucky Knight

"Fackler has worked on the UOFC during her two years at Yale."

Actually its not two years. She's been away for an entire semester in China and I don't see how that can count as a semester with the UOFC. She can't possibly know the changes that are currently taking place or the challenges that UOFC is facing when she's not even in the country. All her information, knowledge, experience with the UOFC is obsolete. She will basically have to relearn the entire operation when she returns to Yale. I don't know about the YDN but I would rather have a chair who at least knows what's going on in the UOFC.

"two years of experience is better than one,"

First of all, Fackler doesn't have two years experience. It seems that if the YDN could control America, Obama would not be president. He just doesn't have as much experience as McCain, so he must worse at the job right? In every job its not experience that counts, its ability and dedication.

"Both pledged to encourage and fund fewer 5K events and more 2K events"

This is just false. Only Fackler wanted to encourage few 5K events. Makes me wonder about what the YDN is doing when they are supposed to be listing to interviews. Even if YDN misheard the interview, reading both candidacy statements makes it clear that the above information is NOT true.

Yang’s unique ideas seemed less realistic than Fackler’s."

It doesn't take a technological genius to set up a program that automatically emails members of a pan list whenever an application comes it. Give me a couple hours and I can do it myself. The fact that one candidate isn't afraid to make big changes gives me hope for the future of UOFC. Making the website "more comprehensive" pales in comparison to Yang's dedication to the organization. She's willing to hold office hours, seminars, to meet with groups - she's going all out to make it easy for new and existing groups. By the way, the "unrealistic" idea of automating the application process has already been brought up and discussed during UOFC meetings.

"Neither candidate may be as successful in the position as Twarek has been," (the candidate that was NOT endorsed by YDN, by the way)

i know both candidates fairly well and i must say that fackler is a lot more responsible than yang. is yang irresponsible? no. but her level of commitment can not compare to that of fackler's. also yang's campaign poster is a turn off--the night club background and posture made her seem unapproachable. Fackler also focuses more on UOFC whereas Yang has a huge array of things going on. is that a bad thing? not really unless one is running for a time-consuming position like UOFC chair.

• @3

@3

wow, way to bash on some1 you know "fairly well." I hope I (or anyone else) never have to "know" you in my yale experience.

Yes, she may have many activities this year, but is she running for chair THIS year? No, she's running for next year. Is it that hard to imagine that Murong is responsible enough to participate in less activities and devote more time UOFC?

I hope people are voting based on each candidate's ideas and not on what they look like in their poster…

• '11

"Is it that hard to imagine that Murong is responsible enough to participate in less activities and devote more time UOFC?"

Yeah, actually, it is. Has Yang made any commitment to reduce her other commitments if she's elected chair? No. Fackler has made YOFC a big commitment in her time here.

And knowing how to fundraise for student groups does not always mean knowing how to best distribute money.

The News' view finds me once again disagreeing.
    Although I have not met Fackler, I cannot see how her work in the UOFC shows devotion.

Being a member of several organizations, and being bashed for it in my candidate's profile I sympathize with Yang in being eager to involve herself in several activities on campus. She is a freshman after all. Surely, you all remember how that was like, right?

Thus, not she decided this is the right thing for her to devote her time next year in its entirety.

What I would propose the voters, and not the newspaper's editorial board, since they trust their judgment more than everyone else's, is to talk to student organizations that have requested capital equipment from UOFC or collaborated with UOFC officials.

Few UOFC members are visible on campus and of those Yang stands out because simply "she picks up her *** phone" according to a major organization's testimonial to me (I am not a journalist and thank god I will never claim to be, so I do not need to name them, as a legit news media should).
    Also, Fackler was deemed by leaders of organizations again to be far worse in being accessible and managing the equipment last year.
    [I reserve personal opinion on this, I was simply not around last year]

Murong was always the person I saw when I was using equipment for FCC or for other organizations. She was always there because that was here job and she was really interested in doing it. I never got the feeling that it was a burden in any way.

All in all, those positions are too important to entrust them on YDN's endorsements.
    Read past this. Meet the candidates. Talk to people who have worked with them.

Murong Yang is the one and only choice for UOFC chair.

Sincerely,
    Yanni Legmpelos
    JE '12

"Yang proposed automating the UOFC’s equipment rental Web site, a project that, knowing the slow pace at which such technological improvements tend to take place, will not be as easy as she claims, especially when spearheaded by a young newcomer."

This is simply a laughable paragraph.

We live in 2009 in a campus immersed in technology and with an army of tech-savvy students eager to get their hands on creating systems for campus service.

Do you still write with feather pens in 202 York Street?

Get of your high horse, YDN.
    Cars have been invented.
    So has Internet.

Murong's idea is absolutely DOABLE.

• Lauren Noble

"Also, Fackler was deemed by leaders of organizations again to be far worse in being accessible and managing the equipment last year"

Where is your evidence for this? I'm curious because I have heard exactly the opposite. I have worked with Fackler in the past and she is one of the most competent people I know. Whenever my friends have a UOFC question, I never hesitate to direct them to her. She is truly first-rate, and I'm proud to call her a friend.

Actually, what I find most deplorable about this election is the fact that CASA strictly endorsed candidates who are CASA members. Is that not just a little racist? You may not agree with the YDN endorsements, but at least they conducted a thorough interview process to evaluate the candidates and their platforms. Whatever the outcome of the election may be, I hope Yang has the principles to take a stand on this issue.

Sincerely,
    Lauren Noble
    PC '11

someone should try to show up to at least half of his own meetings before telling YDN to get of its high horse. and i'm not talking about yang.

• @4

#4:

I personally don't think comment #3 is harsh at all. #3 said he knows the two candidates "fairly well", not he "loves both of them to death". he might have worked with them because of his extracurricular involvements, which is why he knows them both very well. even if he is a friend of Yang's and Fackler's , he doesn't have to agree with the way Yang spends her time or works for UOFC. after all, he doesn't have to take responsibility for other people's action.

and of course we all know that she is running for the chair next year, not this year. some strong argument….

on a side note, i personally do find her poster to be a turn off--not because of HOW she looked, but because i can't see her face and i feel like her face is turned around from the viewers. look, i'm not bashing her look in the poster, i just didn't think she used a smart design. it could've been done better.

• ~_~

I also know both candidates well. While I commend Murong's attempt, Erin clearly had greater experience and knowledge of UOFC workings. I dislike bashing, but I felt that Murong's poster advertised her physical appeal more than anything. I wasn't sure what it was supposed to convey. Haters or not, Erin Fackler will be the UOFC Chair! Congrats!