YCC Secretary: Rustin Fakheri ’12

Rustin Fakheri ’12, who said he always carries a small, leather-bound notebook to keep track of his ideas, is running to be the next secretary of the Yale College Council.

His overarching goal is to create stronger lines of communication between the YCC, Yale students and the administration, he said.

Rustin Fakheri
Rustin Fakheri

“Students are very politically interested but many don’t know how the YCC affects them,” said Fakheri.

(Fakheri is a staff reporter at the News.)

Fakheri’s motivation for running is a commitment to serving his peers, he said. In the fall, Fakheri ran to represent Branford College on the YCC and, though he lost the election, he was appointed to participate as an associate member.

“I want to serve my friends,” Fakheri said. “I want to serve Yale students.”

Fakheri said he thought that all three of his competitors were equipped to fill the role of secretary, adding simply that he would be able to do it best because of his experience serving on the YCC. But while Fakheri is only an associate member, one of his opponents, Mike Bronfin ’11, has served as the YCC representative for Jonathan Edwards College all year. Asked what else separated his candidacy from that of his three competitors, Fakheri also cited his web design skills and sociability.

During his time on the YCC this year, Fakheri co-authored the bicycle sharing proposal, which has yet to secure funding, and is currently working on a proposal about campus security. As YCC Secretary, Fakheri said he will be committed to upholding the council’s current strengths, while also improving its weaknesses.

He plans to distribute a weekly digest with updates about YCC projects, consolidate information about registration and funding for student organizations on an easy-to-access Web page, and expand the YaleStation to include more communication channels.

Fakheri said his previous experience — as well as his computer literacy — makes him well-suited for the job.

Before Yale, Fakheri served as secretary at University High School in Normal, Ill. He also served as a youth advisor to the Normal City Council.

Ian Panchevre ’12, a member of Fakheri’s campaign staff, said though many students consider the secretary role to be insubstantial, Fakheri will demonstrate that this is not the case.

“Rustin will make the secretary position the focal point between the YCC and the student body,” Panchevre said.

Fakheri enjoys studying political science, economics and mechanical engineering.

• not campaign staff

I have strong reservations against Fakheri. In every interaction I've had with him, he seems fake and disingenuous. While that might not be the largest factor when it comes to job efficiency, Fakheri certainly should not be citing "sociability" as one of his strengths.

• section peer

Rustin Fakheri is by far the most objectionable person I have ever had the displeasure of interacting with in section. His comments are always self-involved and he refuses to treat the opinions of the other students with any charity whatsoever. I think we all know the kind of person I am talking about; keep an eye out for the section asshole list next semester, you'll see what I mean.

I am offended that he listed himself as a "co-author" on the bike sharing proposal.

• unfortunate collaborator

Fakheri cannot serve as YCC's secretary. His looks down upon opinions that do not overlap with his and is very aggressive and patronizing in debating even minor issues.
    I was unfortunate enough to collaborate with him and I kept my distance from the unpleasant experience. May the YCC be more lucky. Let the student body know that this individual is completely for his own interest only.
    YCC Secretarey Rustin Fakheri: just another line on his toolish resumé.

Also, Panchevre should be ashamed for demeaning Fakheri's contenders in public. During the endorsement meeting, Panchevre to Faust: "Is your campaign a joke?"

But the toolish nature of both individuals serves as a testament to their collaboration in the campaign.

I am only disappointed at the YDN for quoting campaign officials of Fakheri. How can they every be objective for their candidate's profile?

• Person1

Rustin isn't a particularly interesting or sociable person. This piece is just attempting to justify his candidacy because he's one of the staff members at YDN. Yay, objectivity!

• to #5

Have you read the article? How is the article trying to "justify his candidacy because he's one of the staff members at YDN?"

First of all, the small detail about him claiming he carries a leather notebook to record his ideas in the beginning shows what a tool he is.

Second, the article clearly points out how ignorant he is of his competitors when he claims that he's best fit because of his YCC experience. The reporter clearly remarks how Bronfin is an official YCC rep whereas Rustin is a mere associate member because he lost his campaign because.. you know, he's a tool.

And the fact that the article cites his "sociability" has GOT to be a joke… because he's a tool.

• Pete Croughan

Rustin is a kind and considerate individual. Clearly, the previous commenters have not had the opportunity to get to know Rustin, and have posted unfounded and hurtful comments based on hear-say and first impressions. This is a perfect example of how the anonymity of the internet enables cowardly criticism. If you felt passionate about what you were saying, you'd back it up with the credibility of you name - as Rustin has done with this election.

• Raffi

I object the above reservations about Rustin for YCC Secretary.

From what I've seen of him, Rustin is a sociable and genuine person. He will obviously be dedicated to the position of secretary, and I welcome the ambitious changes he's interested in pursuing while in office. His desire to run for office and do a good job is genuine. As one of the anonymous posters said above, Rustin's efficiency as secretary is certainly not in question.

As for biases in the reporting, I respect the YDN as a newspaper, and don't believe that objectivity is of more concern in this article than it is in any other. As one the top college newspapers in the country, the YDN has pretty high standards.

Also, last time I checked, we weren't in high school. I'm disappointed to see people anonymously citing personal vendettas. This (hopefully) isn't a popularity contest.

I wish all the candidates the best.

• Not a Section Peer

So I've met Rustin a few times and bump into him occasionally. Every experience I've had with him has been friendly and pleasant and the "toolish" / "overly-ambitious" vibes never went off. I obviously can't testify to how he acts in class, but I really think these comments are unfair and overly harsh. He's always struck me as a genuine guy and I think he'd make a fine secretary.

• Kyle Gardiner

I think it is completely embarrassing that anyone has such a lack of respect as to use anonymous comments to attack Rustin. If you don't like him or agree with him, that's fine, and you can even call him out on here. But use your own name, so people can independently decide whether you are being honest, or just an ass with a vendetta.

As for myself, I think Rustin is a genuine, nice, and honest guy who would do great things for Yale. Anyone who finds him to be a tool or only caring about building his resume has not made a real effort to get to know the guy. Best of luck to Rustin, and the YDN really shouldn't allow annoymous comments on articles like this. I'm all for freedom of speech, but there should be accountability for what you say (or slander) about another student.

As for the accusations that the YDN isn't being objective…they put a disclaimer in the article saying he works for them. You cannot get more objective than that!!

Wow--the YDN trolls have hit this one.

Rustin is a good guy, and he cares a lot. Its a shame friends of opponents seem to have a tendency to post on YDN articles.

• TD

bit strange that he seems to be the only candidate who got hit by a 'smear campaign' though, don't you think? i think it's unfair to suggest this is a concerted effort on the part of the other campaigns.