A curious freshman heard commotion from the eighth floor Bingham library on Tuesday night. He knocked on the door and was greeted by a person in a robe and mask. This landed society member mistook the freshman for one of the group’s taps and proceeded to pre-tap the freshman. The freshman eventually confessed his class year, and he was immediately escorted out of the room.

Start crying now if you are not in Harold Bloom’s Shakespeare seminar — because you missed Hollywood hunk James Franco. The actor — most recently in the Academy Award nominated film “Milk” —was spotted in Bloom’s class yesterday. One student in the seminar he looked “grungy” and “totally normal.” Franco is currently pursuing a master’s degree in fine arts from Columbia.

YPD made an arrest yesterday at Hotel Duncan. Just before 7 p.m., Yale police detained a suspicious person leaving the hotel at 1151 Chapel St. Upon further investigation, the police found that the man had broken into the room of an elderly man at the hotel and then assaulted and robbed him. NHPD has taken over the investigation.

Road to recovery. Jonathan Edwards College Master Richard Lalli sent an e-mail to the JE community yesterday morning assuring them of his recovery after suffering from a brain hemorrhage in December. Speaking of months of rehabilitation ahead, he wrote, “I want to be in the best possible shape to take up my work at J.E. with the kind of energy and dedication that it deserves.”

Ward 14 Alderwoman Erin Sturgis-Pascale, known for her advocacy of New Haven street safety, now has proof for her pleas — in her front yard. A gray PT Cruiser hit the side of the alderwoman’s house on Tuesday evening. No one was injured.

Without a trace. The New Haven Police Department SWAT team was called to 118 Weybosset St. after police received a call about a domestic dispute early Wednesday evening. Police believed a man had barricaded himself in the apartment and had a weapon. When the SWAT team entered the apartment, however, the man was nowhere to be found. evening. No one was injured.

Mother Nature hates us. It snowed briefly around noon yesterday.

This day in Yale history

1985 New Haven Mayor Biagro Dilieto announced the city would invest $600,000 in the revitalization of the Ninth Square District, the area bordered by Chapel, George, Church and State streets. Dilieto said the district was “one of the few areas in downtown New Haven that has not been touched by a revitalization in a good many years.”

Submit tips to Cross Campus

crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

YALE DAILY NEWS