HEAVYWEIGHT CREW | Elis second in San Diego

The Yale men’s heavyweight crew competed last weekend in the Copley Cup race in San Diego, Calif., with a second place finish to Syracuse in the petite final of the Collegiate Varsity Invitational.

The Yale first varsity crew, led by captain Andrew Collard ’09 at seven, Derek Johnson ’11 at stroke, Marcos Carzolio ’11 at bow and Rebecca Burgoyne-Allen ’10 at coxswain came in fourth (6:03.16) to Stanford (5:50.09), Berkeley (5:52.89) and Princeton (6:01.62), missing the qualification for the grand final by 1.54 seconds.

In the petite final, Elis lost to Syracuse by a margin of 3.13 seconds, 6:08.00 to 6:11.13, and beat Oregon State University, Michigan and Purdue. The Long Blue line was in the lead for the first 500 meters of the 2000-meter piece. However, by the half-way mark, Yale slipped to a close second behind Syracuse, 3:02.35 to 3:02.79. The Bulldogs were unable to walk back on Syracuse and finished the third 500 meters 1.27 seconds behind Syracuse. And Syracuse increased their lead further by the finish line.

Collard expressed disappointment at last weekend’s results.

“We obviously need to improve — we are not performing at the level that we want to be,” he said. “We need to start rowing together and try to get a little bit better each day. There is a lot of work that needs to be done.”

He dismissed that Yale had an inherent disadvantage on the California course: “The conditions were not a factor,” he said.

Berkeley ultimately came in first place in the grand final, winning the Copley Cup with a time of 5:51.08, beating defending champion Washington. Harvard came in third, and Stanford, Brown and Princeton rounded out the top six.

The heavyweights will spend the coming week preparing for their only home regatta of the year. Dartmouth comes to the Gilder Boathouse in search of the Olympic Axe on April 11.

The YDN's disingenuous headlines regarding the mens crew results this weekend do no favors to the teams or your readers. "Elis second in San Diego" doesn't reflect that it was in the petite finals; the real news is that the heavyweights finished eighth. Similarly, the real news in the lightweight race was not that they won the Joy Cup, but that they lost to Georgetown. Yale sports fans and athletes don't want or need misleading headlines. Neither should the YDN. Thomas E Weil '70

• 0Y9

This headline is deceiving. They didn't get second. They got second in the consolation bracket. Big difference.

• 1Y1

it's not a "consolation bracket" its a petite final, please abstain from making up your own ridiculous names for rowing events. Also what's with all the periods? Are. You. Trying. To. Write. A.

Haiku?

• @1Y1

0Y9 is just calling it what it literally is, since the majority of the Yale population has no idea what a petite final is. Sure, "2nd in the petite final" may be accurate and mean something to the rowing community, but it deceives everyone else into thinking our heavies are good.

Dear Xue,

Please refrain from both writing ridiculous headlines and using experessions like "The Long Blue Line" to describe the boat. You made that up. Before writing your next article for the news, please talk to a rower to review both the correct jargon and factual realities in your pieces. The unprofessional nature that you approached this assignment with reflects poorly on your abilities and thoroughness as a journalist and also upon our crew. These articles are also read by other athletes and coaches we compete with, not only by the Yale community.

signed,
    A Senior Rower.

• clown

"uhmmmmm" count: 22