Senior society pre-tap is tonight. Societies are allowed to tap from tonight until Tap Night, which is next Thursday.

Police officers shot an unidentified man with a stun gun last night after he became “combative,” according to the New Haven Police Department. The man, who was spotted walking in the middle of the roadway near Shelton and Bassett streets in the Newhallville section of the city, appeared to be under the influence of drugs, police said.

Despite periods of torrential downpour, New Haven experienced less than an inch of rain yesterday.

Still, all intramurals were called off yesterday due to the rain. According to the Yale Intramurals Web site, the games will be rescheduled for a future date.

Not all Elis were deterred by the weather. The Junior Class Dinner last night drew a medium-size crowd despite the rain. Members of the Class of 2010 ventured to Commons Dining Hall in semiformal attire to enjoy the smorgasbord offered annually by the Yale University Dining Services.

Timothy Dwight College claimed the Adams Cup as the victor of Yale’s intramural debate tournament. The Cup “seeks to promote competitive, lively and thoughtful debate among Yale students,” according to the event’s Web site.

Roger Pearson, a former Democratic first selectman in Greenwich, announced that he will “likely” mount a primary challenge against Sen. Christopher Dodd for his seat in the United States Senate in 2010. Polls have showed Dodd losing to former Republican Rep. Rob Simmons in a general election matchup.

This day in Yale history

1967 Rev. B. Davie Napier, former Calhoun College master, encouraged the admission of girls to Yale, saying, “Don’t let ’em temporize with the system any more. Get with it. Let’s make Yale College fully coeducational.” In a provocative sermon, Napier said that “the University may represent the most effective difference between salvation and damnation — literally.”

Submit ideas to Cross Campus

crosscampus@yaledailynews.com

YALE DAILY NEWS